4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

** HOT ** JLT "Next Generation" Intake - A first Look!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Shredder505
2nd Gear Member

dam cant wait for these to come out, they look sick painted like that.

btw your garage is mouth wateringly awesome
Old 12-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

The kits will hit the market on January 1st!!!!! ....Trust me, you WILL NOT be dissapointed with the new JLT intake kit!

...as for the 3 Car "heated" garage, it was toasty warm installing the 2 kits yesterday!! ...and lots of fun!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the video Tim. I'd like to what kind of improvements a JLT intake would have on a N/A 2V.... since I've got one of them slow mustangs
Old 12-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Ah man! I JUST bought a JLT CAI. Haven't even opened the box yet. Now I'm mad cause I coulda waited. Bah.

Tim, I see you have the upgraded wrap-around heat shield for the RAI. Can you tell me please, how much of a 'seal' does that make to the fender opening? I haven't really found any solid statements regarding that, just that it's 'better'. Like many of us, I waffled back and forth between CAI and RAI and finally went with CAI. But if that newer heat shield does a good job of truly blocking engine bay air, and letting/forcing it to suck in air from the fender hole, I might rethink my decision yet again...

-----

Oh and PS, to continue from another thread, it's 69 degree here today, I got to drive to work with the top down

Last edited by Schmalgar; 12-14-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
Ah man! I JUST bought a JLT CAI. Haven't even opened the box yet. Now I'm mad cause I coulda waited. Bah.

Tim, I see you have the upgraded wrap-around heat shield for the RAI. Can you tell me please, how much of a 'seal' does that make to the fender opening? I haven't really found any solid statements regarding that, just that it's 'better'. Like many of us, I waffled back and forth between CAI and RAI and finally went with CAI. But if that newer heat shield does a good job of truly blocking engine bay air, and letting/forcing it to suck in air from the fender hole, I might rethink my decision yet again...

-----

Oh and PS, to continue from another thread, it's 69 degree here today, I got to drive to work with the top down
I'll take a closer look tonight when I get home....but don't forget I have a custom 4" Ram Air that goes from the opening next to the fog light up the the opening in the fender! ...which helps A LOT on the streets and track!

Pics from last winter...

Old 12-15-2011, 02:24 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
Thanks for the video Tim. I'd like to what kind of improvements a JLT intake would have on a N/A 2V.... since I've got one of them slow mustangs
I spoke with my buddy again regarding the testing he participated in at JLT a couple of weeks ago. He had a bone stock '01 Bullitt with only a K&N filter. His car gained 9rwhp at the peak and gained 12-14rwhp at some other rpms.

As I say, even if it only gained half that much at the wheels it is still as much rwhp per dollar as the other bolt on mods we put on our cars ($50 per rwhp).

JLT did not gain any additional rwhp with the new CAI vs their original design, but as you can see, the appearance and fit is greatly improved.

I saw my buddy's new CAI which Jay gave him for free in return for lending his Bullitt to the test session. It is a very nice looking piece!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

^^ Cool!!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:15 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
I spoke with my buddy again regarding the testing he participated in at JLT a couple of weeks ago. He had a bone stock '01 Bullitt with only a K&N filter. His car gained 9rwhp at the peak and gained 12-14rwhp at some other rpms.

As I say, even if it only gained half that much at the wheels it is still as much rwhp per dollar as the other bolt on mods we put on our cars ($50 per rwhp).

JLT did not gain any additional rwhp with the new CAI vs their original design, but as you can see, the appearance and fit is greatly improved.

I saw my buddy's new CAI which Jay gave him for free in return for lending his Bullitt to the test session. It is a very nice looking piece!!!
I guess I may have to look into getting one of those new JLT intakes and a dyno tune here in the future. Thanks for the information.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:40 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

So a car making 442rwhp only gained 2rwhp and 9rwtq from their $280 intake? Imagine the power a non FI car, such as a N/A 2v, wouldn't make from the JLT "next generation" intake. Plus it costs you the price of a custom tune on top of the intake to get 5-8rwhp.

They paying you to advertise these Tim or did they give you the intakes for free? lol
Old 12-15-2011, 09:04 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89

You said within the past two days on a different thread...
"The car comes with a cai. Buying a new one does NOTHING, but make your wallet lighter! If you don't want that money, I accept personal checks and paypal."

I'm confused by the new interest in the JLT CAI, from your post on a different thread, you said a CAI does nothing except lighten your wallet... maybe trying to learn by listening

Quick Reply: ** HOT ** JLT "Next Generation" Intake - A first Look!!!