4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Converting to Blowthrough I/C set-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:14 AM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Default Converting to Blowthrough I/C set-up

OK guys. I have been reading about every thread possible on I/C's and everything. I'm still not 100% confident in all the parts I need and everything else. I currently have a standard vortech setup, draw through maf, bypass valve, no i/c.

I have the Intercooler and piping. The front bumper is off my car and I am ready to get started whenever I have decent weather in the area so I'm not freezing myself completely.

What parts do I actually NEED to complete this conversion? Obviously I'd need a BOV and some type of converter to hold the MAF in place in its new location. What else though? Do I need a power pipe, or similar piece? I've seen some filters mounted right on the actual supercharger...? I just want to be prepared for this conversion....

Finally - because my car is tuned, adding an I/C wouldn't ruin driveability before retuning would it? I will need it retuned, but I figured with the I/C the main change is in the air temps....? Am I wrong about that?

I'm also thinking about having my tuner add a smaller pulley.... I forget what I have, 3.33 maybe? It's a standard vortech pulley I'm pretty sure. Might be 3.6... I should probably know that, haha.

Anyway, that will be happening at the same time I drop the fuel tank and try to figure out why my gas gauge constantly reads E.... Any extra thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks as always everyone.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:25 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

What kind of MAF you running? I am pretty sure your stock pulley is the 3.6, at least that was what mine was stock. Dropped down to a 3.33. You don't have to run a powerpipe, but having one is nice. The Vortech unit is very restrictive. Don't forget to gave an inlet pipe welded between the MAF and throttle body for your hose to the IAC. And yes you will need to have it completly retuned for the blow thru set up. I am not even sure you will be able to drive it to the shop, but I could be wrong. Most everyone is running the Tial BOV. Make sure it is between the S/C and the inlet to the cooler. You will need to have the pipe coming off your S/C welded with a mounting flange for the BOV.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:05 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Scooter, thanks for the info.

I think I'm frustrating myself by reading all these threads and seeing all the different things and just not being able to decide on anything. I believe I have a 4.6 lightning maf. I actually forget what I used right now.... hhaha..
Old 01-29-2012, 12:54 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Also, are there any negatives to keep my draw through set up with an I/C? I am trying to limit my parts purchases if at all possible....

Thanks guys
Old 01-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

I would be very hesitant running the car if you switch from draw through to blow through. MAF values will be different so your AFR will be bonkers.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Thanks Fink. But if I I/C it and keep it draw through could I? I have no problem trailering to tuners, just wondering.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

It shouldnt make a difference if you keep it draw through. Just monitor your AFR.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:06 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Blow thru is the way to go with an I/C, much easier to tune also
But I'd go with the 05+ slot style MAF if you go blow thru
Old 01-29-2012, 03:09 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Lizzy, whats the diff between a lightning maf and a slot style maf?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:48 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bopiela
Lizzy, whats the diff between a lightning maf and a slot style maf?
Lightning maf pegs sooner. Also you have to buy a ghetto adapter to turn the lightning maf to a blow through

Quick Reply: Converting to Blowthrough I/C set-up