4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

S197 ride quality vs New Edge ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:26 PM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Working at a Ford Dealership I get to drive all the new models. Comparing the S197 compared to my 02 GT, I really like the feel of the S197 compared to my New Edge. However, I think My 02' GT handles so much better than the current S197. The Boss 302 and Shelby are a completely different story, though.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:23 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FormlessGT
Working at a Ford Dealership I get to drive all the new models. Comparing the S197 compared to my 02 GT, I really like the feel of the S197 compared to my New Edge. However, I think My 02' GT handles so much better than the current S197. The Boss 302 and Shelby are a completely different story, though.
yeah the BOSS cleans up and the Shelby handles worse than an SN95...
Old 02-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

Man, I think you people have been drinking some New Edge Kool-Aide, or smoking something even stronger!

First off, let me just get it out there that I absolutely LOVE my '03 Mach 1! I've had it since it was brand new, over nine years now, but the chassis it's built on is basically the same one that underpinned the 1978 Ford Fairmont! The new S197 chassis isn't even 10 years old yet, and it was designed from the ground up to be the ultimate modern Mustang chassis, and it is, hands down light years better than the old Fox-4 chassis!

I don't have an S197 GT, but my wife does have an '11 V6 Premium, and when I get behind the wheel of that car, there is simply no comparision to the Mach 1, which has a ton of performance upgrades done to it, the newer car is smoother, quieter, roomier, and gives the feeling of driving a larger family sedan, instead of a Pony car. And yet I can throw that car around a corner, and it will stay firmly planted at speeds that the Mach 1 will kick out its back end, and start to get really squirrely!

Like I said, I love the Mach 1, and will probably never give it up, but if I had the money available to get another new Mustang, I wouldn't hesitate to get a new GT, Boss, or Shelby, these new Mustangs are awesome cars!

Old 02-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mach1man
Man, I think you people have been drinking some New Edge Kool-Aide, or smoking something even stronger!

!

I don't have an S197 GT, but my wife does have an '11 V6 Premium, and when I get behind the wheel of that car, there is simply no comparision to the Mach 1, which has a ton of performance upgrades done to it, the newer car is smoother, quieter, roomier, and gives the feeling of driving a larger family sedan, instead of a Pony car. And yet I can throw that car around a corner, and it will stay firmly planted at speeds that the Mach 1 will kick out its back end, and start to get really squirrely!

Like I said, I love the Mach 1, and will probably never give it up, but if I had the money available to get another new Mustang, I wouldn't hesitate to get a new GT, Boss, or Shelby, these new Mustangs are awesome cars!

The mufflers on those cars(05-12) are behind the axle instead of being directly under the driver/psngr (sn95) so it would sound different/quieter with any comaprable exhaust setup from the inside. the mach may get more "squirrely" in comparison and kick out the back end moreso in the Mach bc of the torque and horsepower power delivery of the v8 compared to the power delivery of the v6 (kind like centri vs ts different power delivery) and the new ones may feel roomier and larger bc it is in fact a larger car and the driver/ psngr das is more flat and up front vs the way it curves around the front seat occupants in the sn95 platform cars. But as far as interior room
99-04 mustang front legroom 42.6"
11-12 mustang front legroom 42.4

99-04 rear legroom 29.9
11-12 29.8

99-04 front hiproom 52.8
11-12 53.4

99-04 front headroom38.1
11-12 38.5

99-04 rear headroom35.5
11-12 34.4

99-04 front shoulder room 53.6
11-12 55.3

99-04 rear shoulder room 52.1
11-12 51.6

and clearly the new ones have a bigger trunk 13.4 cu ft. vs 10.9 cu ft of the 99-04 and the body is obviously longer and higher 188.1 L x 73.9Wx 55.6H (11-12 stang) vs 183.2L x 73.1W x 53.1H (99-04 stang)

So in conclusion the exterior size is clearly larger but the interior dimensions are almost the same. So it being a larger car(11-12) and having a 6" advantage on the wheelbase will give it a more of a comfortable rider when cruizing around city or highway.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

First off, let me just get it out there that I absolutely LOVE my '03 Mach 1! I've had it since it was brand new, over nine years now, but the chassis it's built on is basically the same one that underpinned the 1978 Ford Fairmont! The new S197 chassis isn't even 10 years old yet, and it was designed from the ground up to be the ultimate modern Mustang chassis, and it is, hands down light years better than the old Fox-4 chassis!

You're comparing a modified 500+ hp/tq car vs a stock v6 s197.. two different animals man. Your mach should be more squirrelly considering how much rwhp it has and I am not familiar with your suspension setup but I would venture to guess it's more straight line oriented than street or a carver.

The s197's have a much better suspension setup, but vs a new edge with an IRS the new edge feels slightly better as well as being more confidence inspiring(this is my opinion as what you have above is yours)

The ride quality of a stock new edge(non cobra) vs stock s197's, the s197's should feel better due to a better suspension setup and different shocks/struts/springs. With the IRS it's close but the IRS equipped new edge (again stock vs stock) is much more comfortable than a regular SRA new edge.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:47 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

So the S197 chassis and suspension is that much different then the New Edges? I'm not worried about cornering, just a nice quality ride that has some power.

So it seems that stock for stock the S197s have better ride quality, correct? So from that I'd assume that mod for mod, suspension wise, the S197 would still have a better ride quality, correct?

I need to find a lower mile S197 and take it for a spin.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aereon
You're comparing a modified 500+ hp/tq car vs a stock v6 s197.. two different animals man. Your mach should be more squirrelly considering how much rwhp it has and I am not familiar with your suspension setup but I would venture to guess it's more straight line oriented than street or a carver.

The s197's have a much better suspension setup, but vs a new edge with an IRS the new edge feels slightly better as well as being more confidence inspiring(this is my opinion as what you have above is yours)

The ride quality of a stock new edge(non cobra) vs stock s197's, the s197's should feel better due to a better suspension setup and different shocks/struts/springs. With the IRS it's close but the IRS equipped new edge (again stock vs stock) is much more comfortable than a regular SRA new edge.
Well then, to follow your logic, you can't compare a Cobra, which is the only New Edge Mustang with an IRS, to a standard S197 GT. Compare the Cobra to the Boss 302, the Boss will quite literally run circles around an 03/04 Cobra on the street and on a race track.

I'm sorry, there's just no comparison between a 25 year old platform that was originally designed for an intermediate sedan, and a six year old one that was designed as a total package from the ground up. The S197 is by far the better of the two.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

I'm sorry, there's just no comparison between a 25 year old platform that was originally designed for an intermediate sedan, and a six year old one that was designed as a total package from the ground up. The S197 is by far the better of the two.
That would only make sense. Unless ford belived into going backwards and the new mustang handled like a 74 grand torino that would be dumd of Ford and quite a few ppl would be getting fired. Of course things will get better over the years with R&D it wouldnt move backwards. They bot h have their pros and cons and that will vary between the individuals comparing the two cars. I think thats more so the point I dont think anyne was saying the sn95 platform is more advanced than the s197. they are just different feeling cars!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:12 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Well then, to follow your logic, you can't compare a Cobra, which is the only New Edge Mustang with an IRS, to a standard S197 GT. Compare the Cobra to the Boss 302, the Boss will quite literally run circles around an 03/04 Cobra on the street and on a race track.

Like I said, this is going to be largely opinionated. But like I said, SRA to SRA the s197's are well ahead, ya throw in an IRS and the New Edge isn't bad. My beef is that you're comparing your car with a stock s197, if thats the case I can compare mine to a stock s197 and I'm sure mine will out handle it. Complaining about tail wag in a 500+ rwhp vs a 305 bhp v6, you must admit is nowhere near providing a good comparison for OP.

If you think I'm a huge drinker of the sn95 juice then thats your opinion, but truth of the matter is, if I had all the money I sunk into the mustang back, I'd most likely be in a 5.0 or another car.

My experience with the 2011's and new edges are that the 2011's are more comfortable because, 1) they are wider on the interior (also adds blind spots), 2) better put together interior, 3) revamped suspension/frame, and 4) better valved/sprung. Handling wise the 2011's will eat up a stock new edge non cobra. A cobra will have issues as well just not as much as those equipped with the 4 link SRA, however the weight advantage does make the new edge feel more stable.

Your Mach is awesome, just not something you can use to do a direct comparison to a (looks stock) v6 2011, which is the reason I don't use my car to compare to how stock 2011's handle.

If money is no issue, get the newer car, if money is, the new edge's are still a pretty decent buy, especially the cobra's.

Originally Posted by Rockwell28
That would only make sense. Unless ford belived into going backwards and the new mustang handled like a 74 grand torino that would be dumd of Ford and quite a few ppl would be getting fired. Of course things will get better over the years with R&D it wouldnt move backwards. They bot h have their pros and cons and that will vary between the individuals comparing the two cars. I think thats more so the point I dont think anyne was saying the sn95 platform is more advanced than the s197. they are just different feeling cars!
This is pretty much what I'm getting at, sn95's are dated. You'd be daft to say otherwise, however it is still a lighter platform and much more affordable atm. Pure performance wise the s197's will outperform, as they should, the sn95's. The only thing is using a pretty heavily modded mach1 as a comparison to a 2011(looks stock v6) is not a good comparison.

Last edited by Aereon; 02-22-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:35 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Sounds like I need to go drive one. Sucks New Edges can't have the ride quality of the newer Mustangs.
Considering its the same chasis as a 70s ford fairmont they drive pretty nice.

Quick Reply: S197 ride quality vs New Edge ride quality