4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Make profit fixing 2000 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:32 AM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

87k miles is low for a 2000... keeping that in mind, when a car is coming to you broken, you never pay anywhere near retail. If he wants to get full value for it, HE should fix the clutch.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

87K might be low miles by number, but it needs a clutch... That tells me they were VERY hard miles and probably find a LOT more wrong with it. I'd run the other way.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:29 AM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
That is too much for that car IMO. With it needing a new clutch, and those miles I think he's about a grand too high.....again...in my opinion.
Actually, I think the price is more than fair. Remember, it is a very low mileage car. A 12 year old car with 87k on the odometer is just 7.5K per year. Most 2000's have twice that mileage. If the unit is in very good condition, and it sounds like it is, then the price, in my humble opinion, is actually a little low. I would have my mechanic go over it, just as I would any car I was going to buy. I doubt that he could re-sell it at much of a profit, though. Peace.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 AM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by uberstang1
With 187k miles i honestly think its gonna be hard to get 3500 for it espeially intodays market.
Methinks he said 87,000, not 187,000.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by piledriver
Methinks he said 87,000, not 187,000.
He was talking to me and mine does have 187K.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:04 PM
piledriver
Banned

Cool

Originally Posted by JC316
He was talking to me and mine does have 187K.
Well excuse me.... and gee what a coinidence, with that many miles on it maybe you're the one who should be looking at junkyards. I bet your car has a really strong compression ratio; not to mention the fact that just about every other component, in my humble opinion, is about to fail... and yes I'll keep my opinions to myself...

Last edited by piledriver; 02-25-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:03 PM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

I used to flip cars back before there were smog laws here. Made some money and had some real nice cars over the years. The deal you are talking about doesn't sound to good to me. Keep lookin. There are better deals out there then that.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:17 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by piledriver
Well excuse me.... and gee what a coinidence, with that many miles on it maybe you're the one who should be looking at junkyards. I bet your car has a really strong compression ratio; not to mention the fact that just about every other component, in my humble opinion, is about to fail... and yes I'll keep my opinions to myself...
When I first read this, I thought "Why so hostile?", but I re read the first page and I realized that I looked like a total dick. I thought you were referring to the car that the OP was looking at, which is why I said "He was talking to me", it wasn't intended to be an insult. Sorry about the confusion there.

As for my car, no it's not anywhere near close to falling apart. The interior is really clean, the transmission was just rebuilt, same goes for the rear end and both are still under warranty. Struts, tires and brakes are new on all 4 corners and all of the bushings look good. It also has a brand new top. I have $5K in receipts for it. So yeah, I have $3000 in it right now and I am projecting a sale in the $4-4.5K range. Nearly $1500 cheaper than the cheapest New Edge GT Convertible on my local craigslist.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:55 AM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by JC316
When I first read this, I thought "Why so hostile?", but I re read the first page and I realized that I looked like a total dick. I thought you were referring to the car that the OP was looking at, which is why I said "He was talking to me", it wasn't intended to be an insult. Sorry about the confusion there.

As for my car, no it's not anywhere near close to falling apart. The interior is really clean, the transmission was just rebuilt, same goes for the rear end and both are still under warranty. Struts, tires and brakes are new on all 4 corners and all of the bushings look good. It also has a brand new top. I have $5K in receipts for it. So yeah, I have $3000 in it right now and I am projecting a sale in the $4-4.5K range. Nearly $1500 cheaper than the cheapest New Edge GT Convertible on my local craigslist.
That's OK; I went off on you too. I am sorry for the sarcasm. Sounds like you're car is GTG. You must have done a lot of the work yourself because $5K in reciepts is not a lot for all that was done to your car. I am in a totally different boat then you; Mine was new in 2003 and I proceded to dump 18K into it; it's definetely a keeper, lol! see ya.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 PM
wgreenlee4
1st Gear Member

Alright guys, let me ask a different question then, lets say I worked this guy down quite a bit. Do you think people now-a-days would purchase this spec mustang but with no mechanical abnormalities for $6000?

Quick Reply: Make profit fixing 2000 GT?