Looking for mod advice - MustangForums.com



4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
RMK01GT
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
RMK01GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 61
Default Looking for mod advice

Hello, I have a 2001 GT and im looking into modifying it but would like some advice on what I should do.

Gears 4:10 or 3:73 (I have a Jeep TJ with 4:88 gears and 37" tall tires and know that gears make a mile of difference but I dont want to be shifting gears like crazy. In the jeep im in 4th gear when im around 60km/hr. It gets really old while driving in the city)

Tuner, is it worth the money, what kind and why?

Exhaust/headers? what kind of HP gains and is it even worth it?

Eventually I will be looking into forced induction, what is better off supercharging or turbocharging. what kind of pressures can the GT 4.6 handle? or would it be more beneficial to buy a crate 03-04 cobra block with the forged bottom end?
RMK01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
scooter3
4th Gear Member
 
scooter3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,145
Default

Good question, but use the search button for some good info. There is a ton of it here on all these topics.

Gears: Most will say 4:10's. I am running 3:73's with my supercharger and love them.

Tuner: I have an SCT and yes they are worth it. Gives you more perameters to run the car.

Exhaust: Full length headers, X or H pipe. Will give you some extra ponies - 30 more maybe

FI: I have a Centri, but Roots style gives you instant power. The 4.6 will only handle about 400rwhp before things get dicey. Others have gotten more, but they have paid for it.

Again use the search button, lots of info on all these questions.
scooter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
RMK01GT
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
RMK01GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 61
Default

Thank you for your reply! will try the search button
RMK01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
metapher
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 2
Default Sct has its downside

Just wanted to say that if you return your car to stock tune to take it to the dealer more than 5 or 6 times SCT will charge you $65 to unlock it. Otherwise you won't be able to load another tune EVER again.
metapher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member
 
Soldier GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MO/ Born and raised in Louisiana
Posts: 10,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK01GT View Post
Hello, I have a 2001 GT and im looking into modifying it but would like some advice on what I should do.

Gears 4:10 or 3:73 (I have a Jeep TJ with 4:88 gears and 37" tall tires and know that gears make a mile of difference but I dont want to be shifting gears like crazy. In the jeep im in 4th gear when im around 60km/hr. It gets really old while driving in the city)

Tuner, is it worth the money, what kind and why?

Exhaust/headers? what kind of HP gains and is it even worth it?

Eventually I will be looking into forced induction, what is better off supercharging or turbocharging. what kind of pressures can the GT 4.6 handle? or would it be more beneficial to buy a crate 03-04 cobra block with the forged bottom end?
Gears: 410's
Tunerzz: not a must for New Edges but would be needed eventually
Headers: LT'S!
S/C orTurbo: Turbo seems to be the favorite eventhough I lovemy vortech. Depends on your budget and plans for your ride...
Cobra S/B: If you can afford it.. Hell yeah!
Soldier GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member
 
mineralpony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 268
Default

Starts saving for the F/I now. Forget everything else lol
mineralpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
Bman2000
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: oregon
Posts: 1,501
Default

soldier gt how is it you only are making 389 with a t trim ic and cams??? is the fueling issue that bad? says you have a kb bap what fuel pump you running? Im only asking all this stuff, cuz im looking here shortly at scing my car but i only have an s trim, looking at cams and an ic but i dont see why i wouldnt be able to get 400rwhp pretty easy on around 8psi? i just start getting confused when everyone says a non ic s trim at 8psi makes about 350 an at 8 psi makes about 380? then i see way better set ups not making much more..... anyway sorry for thread jack....save for sc or just do the exhaust then save for sc.
Bman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
RMK01GT
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
RMK01GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 61
Default

Thanks I appreciate the input guys, so far im thinking a procharger with an intercooler, 4:10 gears, long tube headers, H pipe, and SCT tuner.
RMK01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member
 
Soldier GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MO/ Born and raised in Louisiana
Posts: 10,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman2000 View Post
soldier gt how is it you only are making 389 with a t trim ic and cams??? is the fueling issue that bad? says you have a kb bap what fuel pump you running? Im only asking all this stuff, cuz im looking here shortly at scing my car but i only have an s trim, looking at cams and an ic but i dont see why i wouldnt be able to get 400rwhp pretty easy on around 8psi? i just start getting confused when everyone says a non ic s trim at 8psi makes about 350 an at 8 psi makes about 380? then i see way better set ups not making much more..... anyway sorry for thread jack....save for sc or just do the exhaust then save for sc.

All I can say is make sure your tuner is top notch. Not gonna bash my last tuner but once again make sure you get her dialed in just right (or as close as possible). I've gone through 2 engines in 10 mths. Just purchased a teksied Short block bored .20 over, diamond racing pistons and mod max H beam connecting rods. Will be taking her to the engine install shop next week and hope to get her back in about 3 wks. BTW I was at 10 1/2 psi and am running a 3.33 pulley. Tuner said my car shoud be (once everything is corrected) at 350 rwhp. Should have raised a red flag with me then. I'm installing LT's now and will probably drop down to a 3.0 pulley. Getting her dynoed at a Mustang specailty shop in ST Louis. I'll let you know how it goes...

Last edited by Soldier GT; 04-14-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Soldier GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
UPRSharad
Sponsor
 
UPRSharad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 2,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK01GT View Post
Thanks I appreciate the input guys, so far im thinking a procharger with an intercooler, 4:10 gears, long tube headers, H pipe, and SCT tuner.
You are definitely on the right track with this! ^^

Just don't forget good suspension and sticky tires so you can use all that power!
UPRSharad is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chassis wiggle when off throttle? UrS4 S197 Handling Section 10 10-03-2015 06:23 AM
October Sale - AmericanMuscle AMAlexLazarus AmericanMuscle.com 0 10-01-2015 10:29 AM
Plastic dip paint TimeLord101 New Member Area 2 10-01-2015 06:40 AM
Code troubleshooting Jb145700 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions 8 09-24-2015 04:08 PM


Tags
03, 04, 2001, advice, cobra, corporate, general, gt, hood, mod, modification, motors, mustang, powered, vbulletin, vent

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.