4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

First mods after driving 2002 GT for a year...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:26 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
LOL
You shouldn't try to compare the handling of any car with 140,000 miles on the stock suspension (shocks especially) against another car.
can I compare it with a 1975 Trans Am with 150K miles and a bashed in rear quarter that I paid $500 for? if so, the mustang would still lose. Seriously though, good point. Some good koni shocks would probably help a lot. still, you don't know the joy of massive front and rear swaybars until you've tried it.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:42 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
LOL
You shouldn't try to compare the handling of any car with 140,000 miles on the stock suspension (shocks especially) against another car.

Replace those old shocks and I bet your opinon will improve on the Mustang. While you are doing that, add a set of Ford C springs and it will handle A LOT better and still ride good (no other mods needed).
I understand your comment, and agree with the conclusions, it is nonetheless possible to compare any two or more items. That's why I always chuckle when advertisers say their product "compares to" or is comparable to" whatever.

Fresh dog shìt and grilled corned beef hash are both similarly coloured steaming piles, yet far from desirably interchangeable (though I have been to some very bad diners in my life).

It's whether or not things compare fairly and favourably that is the issue...
Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 PM
trexflyer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Fresh dog shìt and grilled corned beef hash are both similarly coloured steaming piles, yet far from desirably interchangeable
LMAO that is a sig worthy quote!

We had some great weather last weekend so I splurged on a $20 Mother's Headlight restoration kit. 10 minutes with the cordless drill and my god awful looking headlights are crystal clear and shine like new. Makes the whole car look so much better!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by trexflyer
LMAO that is a sig worthy quote!

We had some great weather last weekend so I splurged on a $20 Mother's Headlight restoration kit. 10 minutes with the cordless drill and my god awful looking headlights are crystal clear and shine like new. Makes the whole car look so much better!
That is good to know, the headlights on my granddaughter's '03 Toyota Sienna are 110% horrible--I have buffed them with Meguiar's light compound a couple times but they are still pretty crappy.

How bad were yours when you started?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Boris91
2nd Gear Member

I've had good luck with the 3M kit from Autozone. It's like $20 and works great. Never used them on my Mustang but my previous Mercedes headlights were pretty faded and it cleaned them up very nicely.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:40 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

I tried one of the kits from autozone, maybe Turtle wax, but I can't really remember. anyway, it didn't work worth messing with, but my covers are pretty heavily pitted and corroded.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:47 AM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by ZeroTX
You have 275's on 17x8's or on 17x9?
Should be on 9 inchers; I too am running 275X40X17, perfect fit.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 AM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by 04camaroeater
If it were my car my next mod would be a mach 1 grille delete. I really don't like the new edge grilles!
I have the "GirillCraft" Sport grill, 4 piece, upper, lower, and fog lights. Looks outstanding! I am mental, but if you look on facebook, I am under Ron thomas, SC. my avatar is a pic of my Mustang; send me a"friends" request, and I'll let you in. I I have about 30 pics posted there. Peace.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 AM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
I hear you my man but all I'm saying it that the 85 bucks you spent on a CAI system could have went towards something else (gears, suspension, exterior mods, etc., etc.,).. Belive me I had every bolt on under the sun and maybe had 270 rwhp (and that's pushing it). We all want to start modding but the best thing about MF (for you new mustang owners) is not to make the same mistakes that we did when we 1st bought our cars.. Not bashing you my man, so don't take it that way..
This man is correct... when I bought my '03 new, back then, I started the "bolt on madness". See my Sig., most of those mods were before I got S/C'ed. All those mods cost me around 5K with labor. Then a lightbulb went off in my head; I went from around 270rwhp to what I have now, for just a little more than 5K. I did it backwards. S/C that Mother, then start with the major bolt ons, bro.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 AM
trexflyer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
That is good to know, the headlights on my granddaughter's '03 Toyota Sienna are 110% horrible--I have buffed them with Meguiar's light compound a couple times but they are still pretty crappy.

How bad were yours when you started?
They were completely fogged and gray looking. The before/after photos don't really do justice to show how bad/great they look since I was parked in the shade, they shine in the sun. It's the Mothers kit with the "powerball" drill attachment, got mine at wally world for $20. Charged a co-worker $15 to do her's the other day so it paid for itself. And there's enough compound to do 10 cars

Last edited by trexflyer; 02-27-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: First mods after driving 2002 GT for a year...