4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

03 GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:18 PM
cdenson1955

Default 03 GT

Hey guys,
I bought this car a little while back in august....I want to know what performance parts you would get....Exhaust, Sway bars, ford racing spark plugs? not sure....I love Mustangs, i can take them apart from the ground up but i need some input on what parts to buy...I was looking at Borla for an exhaust. My cash limit is prolly around 2g....

anything will help! Thanks!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

Def exhaust is key.. Maybe wheels and lowering springs.. Not sure what your current mods are
Old 02-26-2012, 02:20 PM
cdenson1955

I havent done anything to the car yet...haha but im up for anything barely legal in pa lol
Old 02-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

If you have 2gs just boost it and do the rest later, more fun for the money
Old 02-26-2012, 03:19 PM
2000VertGT
1st Gear Member

^ agreed. Otherwise I would just go with the norm CAI and exhaust to get her breathing better, a tuner, and some tokico shocks and a good set of springs. If you have cash left over get new rims and tires. That should just about burn up all that cash and maybe leave some for gas.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:20 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

OK, here's my 2¢ worth:
  • Upgrade the exhaust: 2-1/2" from the manifolds back, X or H-pipe as you prefer, catted or off road as it doesn't matter in terms of power gain;

• Buy a tuner: handheld or PC based, load a tuned optimised for the highest octane fuel you are willing to buy--however as the stock tune is so bad (very conservative ignition timing and quite rich at WOT) even a "87 octane" canned tune will noticeably wake things up;

• Rear-end gears: 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 as you prefer, you can use my How Fast Can I Go in Each Gear? calculator to see what effect various gear ratios will have on mph vs. rpm;

• Upper plenum: This is the weak link in the intake, any after market upper plenum will outflow the stock unit even with the stock 65 mm TB. Do a 70 mm (or 75 mm if you want, 70 is all that's needed) TB too--read more about all this here;
Long tube headers can add HP, differently according to whose and what model you buy. Keep in mind that for almost all one or both have to come off to pull the tranny, adding considerable $$ to even something as simple as a replacing a $20 ToB.

Other stuff is largely a waste of money. The stock airbox and intake tube are entirely adequate for any n/a setup, as are the stock COPs and any single platinum plug.

If you are the sort that winds the engine up hard in the lower gears then UDPs can add some spirit. If however you are the sort that shifts at 3500 rpm don't bother as you will never know they are there, same holds for lighter flywheels and aluminum driveshafts. They only add zip under had and fast acceleration.

That all will eat up a grand or so, if you do the installations.

Save the rest for suspension work, or going f/i down the road...

Last edited by cliffyk; 02-26-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cdenson1955
Hey guys,
I bought this car a little while back in august....I want to know what performance parts you would get....Exhaust, Sway bars, ford racing spark plugs? not sure....I love Mustangs, i can take them apart from the ground up but i need some input on what parts to buy...I was looking at Borla for an exhaust. My cash limit is prolly around 2g....

anything will help! Thanks!

For another 70 bucks you can have my same S/C setup including the intercooler. If not that route, I would most def take advice from cliffy, slong with a MGW STS.. Congrats on the ride my man..GL!