4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Dump My Exhaust...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Default Dump My Exhaust...?

My Mustang is silver metallic. Windows are black, wheels are black, blacked out MUSTANG stainless bumper inserts, black bullitt style fuel door, but chrome Borla tips sticking out in the rear. Tons of road grime, tar chunks, scratches, and black soot around the rolled edge that would never come off due to running an O/R x pipe.

To go with the theme, early last year I took off the Borla tips from after the axle. Sanded them real good, took to work, and had them powder coated black. Turned out real slick.

While they were off, I took car for a few drives. I was STUNNED at the new sound from having the exhaust dumped straight at the ground. Such a deeper tone, actually ground shaking. Went from sounding mean to just down right viscous. Everybody I showed it to said it sounded awesome. Didn't like the look of having humps with no pipes sticking out the back though.

Was thinking I could cut a section of the pipe on the tip and make a bracket that will secure tip in place. Could connect to the stiffening bracket that goes from frame to rear quarter. However, doing this will make it a one way street. No going back.

Anybody think of another way I could get this accomplished without cutting anything? Or any reasons why I shouldn't even bother? Was checking AM and they don't sell a "dump" exhaust. Just curious to what ideas you guys might have. I am open for anything.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

LOL
I'm right in your camp on this issue!
I recently removed my tailpipes because I really like the deep rumble I get without them. I too have pondered fabricating brackets to mount my tips so that it still appears to have the full pipes, but sounds MUCH better. So far I have resisted mounting the tips because I didn't want the additional weight of items that didn't function.

Let me know if you come up with a nice way to mount up the tips. NOTE: please cover the front end of the tips if you do this so that nobody can see thru them
Old 03-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

"dump" the exhaust after the muffler with a turndown tip before the axle, and get a V6 bumper that doesn't have the cutouts for the exhaust. It will sound even meaner right after the muffler. I have MAC offroad prochamber, MAC mufflers and 3.5" turndowns right out of the muffler.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:20 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I thought he was talking about turn downs right after the muffler!?!?!?
I agree that is the way to go for sure.

I think he is doing that and trying to mount tips so it looks like a full exhaust.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:53 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
I thought he was talking about turn downs right after the muffler!?!?!?
I agree that is the way to go for sure.

I think he is doing that and trying to mount tips so it looks like a full exhaust.
Bingo TRUEBLUE.

My new thought is maybe some electric cutouts welded in right after the mufflers pointing down. This way the tips could stay functional if/when I want them to. Time to do some searching.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:57 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay-rod427
"dump" the exhaust after the muffler with a turndown tip before the axle, and get a V6 bumper that doesn't have the cutouts for the exhaust. It will sound even meaner right after the muffler. I have MAC offroad prochamber, MAC mufflers and 3.5" turndowns right out of the muffler.
You by any chance have a sound clip uploaded anywhere? Maybe Youtube? Here? Would love to here it, even though cameras usually take away from the actual sound. But still...

I bet it sounds nasty...in a good way...lol
Old 03-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Don't have anything for sound clips except a DVD a friend made of a couple races last year. I am not smart enough to figure out how to get them from that DVD to my computer to youtube or something, I barely figured out how to load pics a while back...

But no matter what unless you have a badazz camera and sweet computer sound system it does no justice to the sound of anything.

Electric cutouts are awesome but $$$$$. Whatever you do don't dump it before the muffler these 4.6's sound like crap without a muffler unless they are a fully built high compression huge cam motor.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:59 AM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay-rod427
I agree with this, expect it is probably the most expensive option lol.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

salvage yard a bumper for like $50 and gonna have to have it painted anyway.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:23 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

bumpers at certifit are like $100 new. as far as the tar and grime on your rolled tips, have you tried using a heavy duty chrome cleaner with 000 steel scrubber? or, another tip for gettin rust and grime off chrome, try folding a piece of aluminum foil into a small square (a little smaller than the size of steel wool) and dip it in coke, or even water, and give a light-to-medium scrub on the chrome. oh and i think its either oven cleaner or stove cleaner that cleans stuff off chrome pretty well. i've used all these methods on different chrome objects (pipes, bumpers, bikes) and had terrific results. doing a google search on any of them should help you find more details abt it

Last edited by trailor; 03-16-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Dump My Exhaust...?