4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Possible future 96 GT owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:23 PM
revikan

Default Possible future 96 GT owner

I may be getting a 96 gt tomorrow. For the most part I've been an import guy, but Im looking at getting a mustang tomorrow. I like imports because of the good mpg and how easy they are to work on. The mustang I'm looking at is a 96, with 160k ish miles. It looks pretty clean, the guy says its a solid car. Its stock besides exhaust and a clutch.

I was wondering how reliable are these cars? How easy are they to work on? I've had a few foxbody's but I didnt really keep them long. I didnt like the feel of an older car. I know the 96-98 really lacked HP, but I'm not really looking for a powerhouse. Would just like something that sounds nice, rwd, and is fun to drive. I know honda, nissans, and subarus like the back of my hand, but I am hesitant to get into a mustang. Really because I'm not familiar with them, and would like to know what kind of MPG everyone is getting.

I am really looking for someone to just persuade me, or just let me know more about sn95's and how they are as daily drivers. Thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Well, You are right that the SN95 isnt a power house. But they are good cars and if taken care of will last a long time. They are not hard to work on, infact i think you will find they are easier in some respects than a FWD import. Of course I think i can speak to everyone here and say we would be happy to have another import convert!

As for gas mileage, it wont be as good as an import, but im sure you knew that going in.

Reliability: You know all those crown vic taxis and cop cars out there?? well, they all have tons a miles and they run the same engine....Take care of it and itll take care of you!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:58 PM
revikan

Originally Posted by stevednmc
Well, You are right that the SN95 isnt a power house. But they are good cars and if taken care of will last a long time. They are not hard to work on, infact i think you will find they are easier in some respects than a FWD import. Of course I think i can speak to everyone here and say we would be happy to have another import convert!

As for gas mileage, it wont be as good as an import, but im sure you knew that going in.

Reliability: You know all those crown vic taxis and cop cars out there?? well, they all have tons a miles and they run the same engine....Take care of it and itll take care of you!
Is 160k ish miles a lot on one? How much life does it have left? The car has had 3 owners, the first was an older man who babied it. The second was a single younger man, and the 3rd is who has it now. He says hes had many mustangs and this one is solid and runs good and should last a while. If I get the car, I'll probably daily drive it until winter then find me a beater civic to drive
Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

You can get 20+ mpg out of it. It will definitely be more fun to drive (RWD). Will definitely sound better than ANY beer keg farting import. Most guys here are "Muscle Car" guys. We eat Honda's and **** Nissan's...lol I have read posts of people getting 300k miles out of the 4.6L. Its all in how you treat/maintain it.

There is also a certain "prestige" (so to speak) that goes with owning an AMERICAN V8 muscle car.
Horsepower is obtainable in many ways. However, there is such a thing as the "cool factor". And there is nothing cooler than a mean, viscous sounding V8.

Do yourself a favor and buy it. Time to grow up and be a man. Own a muscle car. You wont regret it. Just resist the urge to make it look like a ricer.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:17 AM
revikan

Originally Posted by MyGt03
You can get 20+ mpg out of it. It will definitely be more fun to drive (RWD). Will definitely sound better than ANY beer keg farting import. Most guys here are "Muscle Car" guys. We eat Honda's and **** Nissan's...lol I have read posts of people getting 300k miles out of the 4.6L. Its all in how you treat/maintain it.

There is also a certain "prestige" (so to speak) that goes with owning an AMERICAN V8 muscle car.
Horsepower is obtainable in many ways. However, there is such a thing as the "cool factor". And there is nothing cooler than a mean, viscous sounding V8.

Do yourself a favor and buy it. Time to grow up and be a man. Own a muscle car. You wont regret it. Just resist the urge to make it look like a ricer.
You may have talked me into it lol
Old 03-26-2012, 03:56 AM
trexflyer
1st Gear Member

I've had 96gt for a few months now and I love it. Wish it was a little faster and handled like my old 944 turbo but that's what upgrades are for.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 AM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Okay, let me try to talk some sense into you. I'm joking, I love these cars. However, how much is he asking at that mileage? Do you KNOW it has been taken care of?

The BIG problem with SN95's is the gears for the odometer stop working right around the mileage the one you are looking at has. What is your budget for this whole project of getting a Mustang? More than likely at that mileage you will start having suspension issues like ball joints, tie rod ends, brakes, struts/shocks, and lots of rubber bushings.

Btw, I'm not hating on your decision.....I bought my 98 with over!!!! 200K and a beat to **** engine (that had a really shotty rebuild done for some reason) and tranny because I had plans of changing them.

Now for some good news I daily drive mine and I get somewhere between 16-18 pure city miles. Thats stop and go with traffic lights an 1/8th of a mile or less apart. It's all in how you drive it. Also, these things have more room than you need under the hood to work on them......short of an exhaust manifold issue, then that gets a little tricky.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I think there easy to work on, chasis and alot of designed are based of a 70s fairmont.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 AM
revikan

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
Okay, let me try to talk some sense into you. I'm joking, I love these cars. However, how much is he asking at that mileage? Do you KNOW it has been taken care of?

The BIG problem with SN95's is the gears for the odometer stop working right around the mileage the one you are looking at has. What is your budget for this whole project of getting a Mustang? More than likely at that mileage you will start having suspension issues like ball joints, tie rod ends, brakes, struts/shocks, and lots of rubber bushings.

Btw, I'm not hating on your decision.....I bought my 98 with over!!!! 200K and a beat to **** engine (that had a really shotty rebuild done for some reason) and tranny because I had plans of changing them.

Now for some good news I daily drive mine and I get somewhere between 16-18 pure city miles. Thats stop and go with traffic lights an 1/8th of a mile or less apart. It's all in how you drive it. Also, these things have more room than you need under the hood to work on them......short of an exhaust manifold issue, then that gets a little tricky.
Im not really looking into making it my project car. I dont have big budget to work with, id like to just slowly replace anything that needs attention. Maybe eventually swap in a lower mileage pi motor
Old 03-26-2012, 11:23 AM
trexflyer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
The BIG problem with SN95's is the gears for the odometer stop working right around the mileage the one you are looking at has.
And by BIG problem you mean simple fix My odo gear finally shredded about 2 months ago but it's a snap to replace.

My shocks & struts are about on their last legs so they are getting replaced very soon. And at 155k miles the engine is still very strong. No ticks, knocks, leaks or signs of impending doom.

Quick Reply: Possible future 96 GT owner