4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Best struts for Coilovers?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Like in an earlier post, get some bilsteins off of a 03/04 cobra. Thats what I did with MM front coilovers. No complaints here! Theres really no need for an adjustable shock for a daily driver. Only reason youd need a fully adjustable one, is because you track it every weekend and need to get every little bit out of it. Stay away from coilovers from upr, granatelli, and others alike. The tubes arent made specifically for any strut. So the tubes will have a tendency to "walk" back and fourath on the shock. Making weird and undesirable noises.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

I'm doing strange 10 ways with my h&rs until I finally convince myself to do the coilovers for them
Old 04-07-2012, 02:13 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Im just tryin to figure out costs right now to tell you the truth.

I was wonderin if i could just run a stock style spring/strut w/ a tubular k...but then don't know if getting new struts and springs would cost just as much as just going coil over....
Old 04-08-2012, 08:45 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
Stay away from coilovers from upr, granatelli, and others alike. The tubes arent made specifically for any strut. So the tubes will have a tendency to "walk" back and fourath on the shock. Making weird and undesirable noises.
Do you have any personal experience to back that statement? Or are you regurgitating what you heard from someone else?

I had UPR coilovers and they were just fine. They had notches on them so they didn't spin and they were tight on the struts. No noises and no complaints.

Before buying them I found A LOT of people who had them with zero complaints and zero noises. Good price, good company and good product.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:47 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
Im just tryin to figure out costs right now to tell you the truth.

I was wonderin if i could just run a stock style spring/strut w/ a tubular k...but then don't know if getting new struts and springs would cost just as much as just going coil over....
Just get the whole tubular front suspension. You can find a complete kit for relatively cheap over on corral. If you really want to save money look for a QA1 K member. That way you'd be able to use your stock A arms, struts, springs and CC plates. Just be aware you'll have to do a lot of grinding on the A arms to get them to fit. It's a pain but it's a cheap way to do it.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:29 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Ok thanks Wannabe...that's the answers I've been lookin for! I got til this fall to get all the parts together...just wantin a game plan!

Car isn't really a drag car...just need clearance for the turbo piping!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

With all the money into your car, this would be the last thing I would cheap out on...

just my $.02
Old 04-10-2012, 04:51 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
What is your guys opinion about the strange 10 ways in a non coil over setup? Looking to get H&R SS springs and gonna do shocks and struts at the same time
I've used them both ways and they're good either way. You might install them now in the standard configuration and then get the UPR k-member kit later with the coilover sleeves...

MF.com members get 10% off of any part we manufacture, so that'll help with the k-member kit.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:36 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Strange 10-ways are not an application specific part, so they are not 100% made for our cars, and that is a fact. They are a universal strut, unless they changed something in the past 3 years. They do their job, they keep the car suspended. But in my opinion from using them for over a year and a half, I would not purchase them again. Mine made a lot of noise in my application, and they just felt loose to me. I purchased Bilstein HD's and they are a great product IMHO. They are spendy, but you get what you pay for.

Bilstein is what many car manufacturers use for OEM suspension. Ford and Toyota both use Bilstein for OEM applications on their performance vehicles. Toyota uses them for their off-road trucks, Ford uses them on their sports car applications, such as the 03 Cobra and the new 2013 GT500.

Also, the HD struts for our cars are technically inverted and the strut shaft is enormous. The dampening characteristics of the Bilsteins are tuned for the street and mild track use and give you excellent control in many styles of driving.

All in all, I will not tell you to not buy Stranges. They work for some, and they tend to be more racing oriented dampers than street dampers IMHO. But they will work for you. I do not know how happy you'll be with them honestly, but they'll work. Are there better dampers out there, in my opinion yes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-Fo...sories&vxp=mtr

Stock 03 pieces with 23k on them for $140. That'd be a great place to start. Also, you can send them out to be revalved or rebuilt eventually if need be, which is nice so you dont have to replace them.

Just some food for thought. You know what my vote is.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Do you have any personal experience to back that statement? Or are you regurgitating what you heard from someone else?

i havent had them back down but on my brothers upr coil overs they are noisy as all get out almost ready to buy some bilstiens and mm coil overs for him because they drive me nuts when i ride in the car