4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Check engine light flashing need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Default Check engine light flashing need help

Ok so here's the deal ...today I washed my engine I covered all the main electronics and used a pressure washer..then after I was don't blew all water off with compressor and blower

Then let it run for a while..long while..took of to go get food..went got food drove just fine came back ate then needed to leave again and I was stuck behind this slow car so I dropped it into 4th and when I hit the has it started missing pretty bad and then my check engine light started flashing at me..so I drove home and hooked up the tuner to check the light code and it was p0304 #4 cylinder misfire...

So my question is did it just get
Water in somewhere? Coil pack? What should I do ? Could I let it dry for a while ? Could there Moisture in it?

What should I do ?

Thanks guys!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like you messed up the coil in number 4. to verify this, switch out 2 coils, and if it happens to the cylinder that you switched it with, then you know its coil and need to replace it. Next time dont use a pressure washer. The engines are water resistant not water proof. Use a brush, engine degreaser and a little elbow grease.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:15 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Flashing check engine light means a mis fire. You likely messed up the coil with the water. This is exactly why my engine stays dirty.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
Sounds like you messed up the coil in number 4. to verify this, switch out 2 coils, and if it happens to the cylinder that you switched it with, then you know its coil and need to replace it. Next time dont use a pressure washer. The engines are water resistant not water proof. Use a brush, engine degreaser and a little elbow grease.
Dude thanks man I will switch them as soon as I get home. If it is bad should I replace it with motor craft brand?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JC316
Flashing check engine light means a mis fire. You likely messed up the coil with the water. This is exactly why my engine stays dirty.
Amen man..see I'm the same as you but I'm selling the car and wanted it to look good. Won't do that again...I been coved everything to and it ran good for a whole until I tried to pass that guy and then it did it..I think I fried it or broke the coil right there ..find out today lol
Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Arcadian2910

Default FORD DOESNT KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!

Hey guys I'm knew to this site and I registered just to reply to this thread. March 29, 2012 I traded in my 2010 V6 Chevy Camaro for a 2012 Ford Mustang GTCS Black on Black. Beautiful car! Had it for a little over a week when I was driving at about 50mph on 3rd and shifted to 4th and the CEL was blinking for 30 Seconds and shut off and the car started to shake and my shifter started to rattle. I took it into the dealership the very next day and they tried to pull a code and told me that no codes pulled up and the car is driving perfect. 2 days later it happened again and I took it back to the dealership and they checked it and told me the same thing. The next day it happened again and this time I was ready for it and I pulled out my phone and started to record it. Took it back to the dealer, showed him the video and he reacted as like he's never seen that happen before and told me to leave the car there and that they would need to run some tests and it might take awhile. 3 days go by and they finally called me and said that after driving it and driving it they finally got the car to act up but they don't know why it's acting that way. I called Fords Consumer Services and told them my situation and they sent the regional FSE to check out the problem for himself. Well guess what? He doesn't know either!! My ford service adviser told me that the FSE ran the diagnostics on my car and compared to a 2013 model and the 2013 model started to act up as well. He also told me he thinks that it is a software problem and that my I won't get my car back until they fix the software!! I'm pist! I don't know what I should do. I'm thinking about getting a lemon law lawyer? Does anyone have any advise on what I should do?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:37 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Arcadian2910
Hey guys I'm knew to this site and I registered just to reply to this thread. March 29, 2012 I traded in my 2010 V6 Chevy Camaro for a 2012 Ford Mustang GTCS Black on Black. Beautiful car! Had it for a little over a week when I was driving at about 50mph on 3rd and shifted to 4th and the CEL was blinking for 30 Seconds and shut off and the car started to shake and my shifter started to rattle. I took it into the dealership the very next day and they tried to pull a code and told me that no codes pulled up and the car is driving perfect. 2 days later it happened again and I took it back to the dealership and they checked it and told me the same thing. The next day it happened again and this time I was ready for it and I pulled out my phone and started to record it. Took it back to the dealer, showed him the video and he reacted as like he's never seen that happen before and told me to leave the car there and that they would need to run some tests and it might take awhile. 3 days go by and they finally called me and said that after driving it and driving it they finally got the car to act up but they don't know why it's acting that way. I called Fords Consumer Services and told them my situation and they sent the regional FSE to check out the problem for himself. Well guess what? He doesn't know either!! My ford service adviser told me that the FSE ran the diagnostics on my car and compared to a 2013 model and the 2013 model started to act up as well. He also told me he thinks that it is a software problem and that my I won't get my car back until they fix the software!! I'm pist! I don't know what I should do. I'm thinking about getting a lemon law lawyer? Does anyone have any advise on what I should do?
That is an impossible to read, run on glob, of text--break it up into paragraphs and maybe someone will bother to read it...
Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

try pulling the coil out and blowing out the plug hole and the coil with air and let it dry. it'll prolly be fine.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
try pulling the coil out and blowing out the plug hole and the coil with air and let it dry. it'll prolly be fine.
+1 same thing happen to me when I first bought the car, water in plug hole is whats it sounds like.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Can you promise us that you wont ever do something as lazy as spraying your engine with a water hose, let alone a pressure washer again? It needs to be learned very quickly that no water hose should ever be sprayed into the engine bay. If you're too lazy to take a bottle of mixed degreaser, a rag and a little elbow grease into cleaning your engine bay then just stay inside. Because you can cause a lot more serious issues than a sore arm and a few hours will cost you if you keep playing games with spraying water on your electronic harnesses, coils and spark plug wells(heres a hint: you can't "cover" them enough to protect them).

Quick Reply: Check engine light flashing need help