4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Another coolant leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Default Another coolant leak!!

Went out to get cookies from my car in the garage last night and I saw a small puddle on the floor near the passenger door that came from something dripping towards the rear of the motor, passenger side of the car. I checked the overflow tank and I'm low on coolant (cap was tight as **** but tank looks empty). I dipped a white napkin into the puddle and sure enough, its coolant.

I had an original leak at the thermostat housing which I think I repaired by replacing the O ring, but this is new. wtf? When I drove the car last night I didn't notice any abnormalities and the low coolant light didn't light up...though last week I noticed white smoke coming out from the rear of the car after a few left turns (was not consistent, though). Coincidence?

What could this be? From where the car sits it doesn't look like its coming from the radiator or front of the engine. Maybe another seal/gasket went to **** (hopefully not a head gasket)..IDK
Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM
TonyG

Could be the heater core, or one of the lines running to/from the intake manifold. Do you smell coolant inside the car when you run the heater?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:06 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by TonyG
Could be the heater core, or one of the lines running to/from the intake manifold. Do you smell coolant inside the car when you run the heater?
I haven't used the heater in a bit...I'll check that out later today. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:47 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
I'll check that out later today. Thanks.

I can't believe its been two weeks but I looked at the car again today. Coolant was low, filled it up, looked at where the thermostat housing is, noted that it looked dry, then started the car (left the hood up). Let it run for a bit and I see steam/smoke rising from behind the engine, passenger side. wtf? Looked at the thermostat housing and its wet, so that stock plastic manifold has got to go.

A question I have is could that smoke/steam be from coolant than ran down the t-stat housing area, into the 'valley' on the engine (there is currently a green pool there), and dripped down the back of the engine somewhere that got hot? I'm hoping its not from anything inside the engine itself (oil level is fine).

Also, when I order the parts, I'm guessing I should replace the gaskets for the intake but is there anything else I should order?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:34 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Weekday bump!!

That manifold won't be here for a few days at least but I might begin removing the old one and just leave a towel covering the holes to the heads until the new manifold comes in.

But any guesses on what caused the steam? Could it have dripped on the header?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 AM
TonyG

Having had many coolant leaks, I can almost guarantee that you were just observing steam from the water touching something hot and evaporating. Don't sweat it, you found your problem.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Yeah, maybe it dripped on the header or some ****.

Whenever I get the replacement part in, I'd rather install it myself and not pay a shop for labor. Now I just have to find some how-to's. Anyone know if I have to disconnect or relieve the fuel line pressure?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 PM
kj4kym
1st Gear Member

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...riteup.785868/

Listen too the parts list you'll need them.
Did mine last week new belt and plugs as well
Old 05-15-2012, 01:22 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by kj4kym
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...riteup.785868/

Listen too the parts list you'll need them.
Did mine last week new belt and plugs as well
That is a very nice writeup. Thanks.

I ordered the newer alternator bracket but I might just drill the stocker and send the new one back if it works out.

I should also stop being a fatass and do the plugs as well. At least the neat thing is I can replace several things at once with this job, including the plugs and cleaning the injectors.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 PM
kj4kym
1st Gear Member

That exactly what I did. Taking my time it took me one whole night. Car felt much happier with new plugs and cleaned injectors. Just make sure you tighten up the other three alternator bolts before marking and drilling the other hole... I had to re drill 3x lol it was like 3am and I was getting tired lol

Quick Reply: Another coolant leak!!