4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New Headlight HID recomondations

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 11:08 PM
TFEnt

Default New Headlight HID recomondations

Hello all, new stang owner. 1996 GT convertible, bought with 68K miles on it. Garage queen...

So i bought EBay headlight capsules for it for use with HID bulbs. Tried to install today and total junk. Both capsules broke and i ripped them out and will probably rip the maker a new one since the quality is so horrible. Today was a complete nightmare.

So i need recommendations for capsules that can be upgraded to HID bulbs please. I searched and didn't find any recent recommendations.

Thank you in advance

Tom
Old 05-06-2012, 02:30 AM
Boris91
2nd Gear Member

Capsules? Like the headlight assembly? Americanmuscle.com has some cheap ones with different varieties. Get the projector ones if you're putting HIDs on your car.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:48 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ werd

HID's in OEM housings suck, for oncoming drivers. Buy some projector housings and have at it.

Jazzer says take your car out and DRIVE it
Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 AM
TFEnt

Originally Posted by Boris91
Capsules? Like the headlight assembly? Americanmuscle.com has some cheap ones with different varieties. Get the projector ones if you're putting HIDs on your car.
Correct, the headlight assembly. The one we bought on ebay was total junk. I had to dremel the oe ones off so I can't even reinstall them. So I need to find a quality assembly and hid bulbs asap.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:00 AM
TFEnt

Originally Posted by Boris91
American Muscle looks like all thier headlight assemblies are NOT for HID use... Any other suggestions?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

The best way to do this is buy a set of projector headlights that you like. Then go to this page (on facebook) http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13363225783281 . He is a member here. Do a retrofit with HID projectors to replace the halogen projectors from theretrofitsource.com. Install, be happy and safe!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM
TFEnt

Originally Posted by stevednmc
The best way to do this is buy a set of projector headlights that you like. Then go to this page (on facebook) http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13363225783281 . He is a member here. Do a retrofit with HID projectors to replace the halogen projectors from theretrofitsource.com. Install, be happy and safe!
I sent him a message on FB. Waiting for a response.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Rottman

Go to retrofitsource and get their morimoto mini projectors and retrofit them into the halogen capsule. I have done a few retro's using these projectors and you will be very happy with how they perform. Also get a bi-xenon harness so you will have hi/low beams.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:30 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rottman
Go to retrofitsource and get their morimoto mini projectors and retrofit them into the halogen capsule. I have done a few retro's using these projectors and you will be very happy with how they perform. Also get a bi-xenon harness so you will have hi/low beams.
^^^This. This is what I did. The forum member that did it for me is stockD15b. I would pm him and talk to him about whats involved. I bought the kit, harness, projecotrs etc, he did the retrofit and I installed. I also did the mini H1 with the bixenon for high/low beam. he can at least give ya some pointers,but this is the "proper" and "safe" way to go. Its a little pricier, but worth the results.

Take a look around at http://theretrofitsource.com to get some ideas and really good info to start.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM
TFEnt

I ordered a set of Cobra headlights from American Muscle, whom were very nice, and are having them sent to Kris for the HID retrofit. This should be finished this week. I am having Kris install the projectors with the LED Halo. Lights were $150, Retro work $375, and HID's with H-1 bulbs $100. Once I get these installed I will take some photos for all to view. Thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction here. It helped ALOT.

Tom

Quick Reply: New Headlight HID recomondations