4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

V8 vs. V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 11:15 PM
TrueMetalGeek
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah. Around 2000-2004ish was the years of Mustangs I was looking at. That body style. Not FOX bodies or the generation after that.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:24 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

if you want 300hp, you can do that with no turbo on a v8 car. I dont see why people buy cheap on v6 and want to toss money to match v8 power. just go with the better car and work on mods when you can. why the hell is this thread still going. good lord
Old 02-09-2013, 01:07 PM
TrueMetalGeek
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
if you want 300hp, you can do that with no turbo on a v8 car. I dont see why people buy cheap on v6 and want to toss money to match v8 power. just go with the better car and work on mods when you can. why the hell is this thread still going. good lord
Well I should say at least 300HP. Just enough to be fun.

My main goal was a turbo car. I love turbos. :-)

I was thinking the V6 would also give me more room around the engine for the turbo as well.

But as I've been reading through this forum I see that the V6 rear axle is not just one wheel peel, but a smaller one?
More and more it looks like I'm probably going to look for a GT.
There are a few clean ones and I would just have to be more inventive with finding room to place the turbo.

I do have a wire feed, grinder, all that stuff so It's not like I'm buying a kit.
I go to the exhaust shop and buy pipe and a metal yard to buy steel plate to make my own flanges when needed. :-)

Here's a clean GT. I wont have my money for two weeks so we'll see what is there.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/3603121935.html

This is exactly what I'm seeking.

Any cons with this year?
Old 02-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

Nope, just be very meticulous when looking over the car. Especially after an engine swap, make sure connections aren't rigged, motor mounts are good, etc.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by TrueMetalGeek

Any cons with this year?
check the intake and make sure it isnt all plastic. if so, it will need replaced before it splits. Your using that noggin of yours now...find a v8 car
Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 PM
TrueMetalGeek
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Your using that noggin of yours now...find a v8 car
LOL! Yeah. A momentary lapse of reason on my part.
True I could make a fun car out of even a V6 and the project aspect would still be there.
But I do LOVE the V8 Mustang sound and at least I wont kick myself.

Some nice ones are popping up on Craigslist now. But I need to wait a few weeks to get my money from the Union.

Don't laugh but here's what I'm talking about with "low buck" projects.

This was a Saturn I bought really cheap. Did a sub $1,000 turbo build.
It was one hell of a sleeper.

Name:  100_1502_zps0d3b0805.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  114.9 KB
That exhaust flange on the stock manifold was made from scratch. The way the turbo mounted right there was so perfect.

That's a VNT Turbo from a late model Jeep Liberty diesel that I scored for $100 from a dealer mechanic on craigslist.
I lucked out on it and the turbo was very efficient. It spooled so quick yet had more boost capacity left in it if I let it.
1st gear was useless in this FWD car.
I'd ease the car from a stop and from a roll would ease into the throttle and it would just light up the tires silly. I couldn't do a 2nd gear start to help launches because then the clutch would slip and it would redline.

Junk yard stuff like this blow off valve. Nothing fancy but it was plenty loud.

There's all the low much exhaust piping. I made all the bends by cutting and welding. Nothing fancy. But it didn't look exactly horrible either.

Two extra injectors in the charge pipe.

Name:  100_1714_zpsb7eb2c65.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  127.2 KB
And I had lots and lots of fun learning to program Microchip based microprocessors. This read a 2 bar MAP and just pulsed the two extra injectors based on manifold pressure and a lookup table I could tweak by a LCD interface in the car.

It wasn't perfect but it worked.

I was playing with cheap water/methanol but other than that there was no inter cooler or timing management.

It was fun but I didn't cry when I broke it.
If I had kept it at 7psi boost it would have been fine like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_1502_zps0d3b0805.jpg (114.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg
100_1502_zps0d3b0805.jpg (114.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 PM
TrueMetalGeek
1st Gear Member

Crap, how do I edit that post?
I got the same photo over and over somehow.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:22 PM
TrueMetalGeek
1st Gear Member

This should be the middle two photos

Name:  100_1581-1_zps304d6468.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  100_1696_zps772703fb.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  151.8 KB
Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
I got stuck with one, huh? I bought one because I wanted to, and I owned a V8 Mustang at that time, and have owned several since then. I'm pretty sure it rolls off the lot 'drivable' - so you are wrong about needing to spend money. I'm not talking anyone into a V6 over a V8, I'm saying buy what fits the need. Believe it or not, the V6 outsells the GT. And that FACT says the general public is JUST FINE with the V6. Care to argue those numbers as to which version of Ford's pony car fits most people? This is what I mean when I say opinion is mistaken for fact.

This is going to go downhill fast. Not going to get pulled into highschool with a few GT fan boys.
Im not sure how far this convo goes with the arguments yours making, so forgive me if things get pointed out later in the thread that i havnt read yet. But i have a few things i want to point out. The reason that the v6 outsells the v8 is simple, most people do not need the power, and the rest do not want to spend the money, period, thats it. Most drivers dont car v8- v6- fast slow, they want a car they like the looks of, that they can afford and that does well on gas mileage. But i also want to point out that the average person doesnt know jack about cars and will buy the v6 because it gets "better" gas mileage because it has less cylinders, so must use less fuel. That is a crock for a lot of cars. good example ive driver a 4 banger cougar, and my uncle had the v6 version the v6 got better gas mileage on everything but highway only. which almost no one does.
Also tranny makes a difference, id say your far more likely to get better mileage out of an auto v8 than an auto 6. i could find proof for all this stuff, but honestly everyone can search just as easy and find direct comparisons for any car they are looking for and find the true mileage of bigger motor vs smaller motor cars. Also driving, big *** impact on mileage. My 2013 tacoma was getting 16.8mpg on my normal trip to work, then i started passing people who where going too slow, maybe 1 person a trip on average, my mileage dropped to 15.5 couldnt figure out why until i stopped passing that one slow person haha. But point being a heavy foot makes all the difference.
And just some real world numbers for my gt, full bolt ons manual tranny stock gearing and 17s i averaged 18.1 mpg hammering the **** out of it every light and stop sign i could, with the 91 tune in it. i got 21 mpg driving it lighter(ish) with the eco tune, mind you this is mixed driving not a lot of highway. then when i had a chance for a full highway trip i put eco tune on set cc at 55mph and drove over the mountains to get to the coast, here in oregon, and i got beleive it or not 30.7mpg, drove the same way back with the performance tune in it and upped to 60mph and got 22mpg its all in how you drive where you drive and the stuff you have on your car. Id say that i probably couldnt do much better in a v6. Imo.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangingAround
This is not meant as a knock to anyone but did you consider that your v6 ratio argument is most likely valid because v6's are heavily targeted by female buyers? To take it a step further I'm willing to bet the best selling mustang's are the v6 automatics. Not that there is anything wrong with that but that should give you a clue as to why your ratio argument is kind of skewed (unless that was your argument's criteria in the first place).
thats basically what i was just saying, and he can argue all he wants that he can afford both gt or v6 but that the v6 works for what he needs, and thats very true. But just because the v6 car works great for transportation, does NOT make it a better over all choice in general. the fact is the v6 is the cheaper car, with "better" gas mileage that caters to NORMAL people who want a NORMAL car. its the same reason there are a ton of other cars on the road without 400 hp, most people use a car to transport. In my opinion those people kinda need to butt out, if you want an opinion on which is better, the better car is the gt....but it cost more to own, more to operate, sometimes more to insure, maybe it wont get the gas mileage, hell maybe it wont get the best reliability. But if your asking which is better i would imagine its because you like cars, and you like the idea of going faster, and maybe going around corners and maybe nice sounds, better resale value, massive aftermarket to cater to what ever you want to make the car into. its just a better platform. Although most of this opinion that i have has a lot more to do with pre 2011 mustangs, since the new v6 is way better than the older one. That being said i am a speed guy and i almost bought a base v6 and a power adder, because lets face it the gt is so much more money that i could make the v6 more powerful and handle just as well with the upgraded gt suspension for less money than it cost to buy a base gt. But i couldnt do it because i cant get over the sound and missing torque. but thats me.

Quick Reply: V8 vs. V6