4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Those with hid's

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:07 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Default Those with hid's

Gonna buy some hid's for my Headlights/fogs this week. Just wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to the 55watts or for the low and high beams. I don't wanna spend the extra money if it won't make much of a difference.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:55 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
Gonna buy some hid's for my Headlights/fogs this week. Just wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to the 55watts or for the low and high beams. I don't wanna spend the extra money if it won't make much of a difference.
I have 35w hid headlights and fogs and it's tons brighter. I haven't had hi beams for years now.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

35W HID will be plenty bright, so I wouldn't bother with 55W. Upgrading to HID's is somthing I would recommend anyone doing (just don't get some weird color like blue or purple). But, they ARE illegal, I have been pulled over in my truck (that had blue ones) so I switched them out for an HID that was like 4300k )yellowish white). And have never been bothered (I go by the same cop almost daily).

I wouldn't bother with the low and high beam kits, unless you do a lot of highway driving at 3 am. I never have had the need for an HID high beam, which I think would be looking at the second coming of Jesus bright...

Josh

Last edited by Doyon; 05-28-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:03 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

thanks guys, i'll just go with the 35w low's. also on the colors, I dont want blue, i want bright solid white. from the charts i've seen i want 6000k, that sound right?
Old 05-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

I don't really think there is a just plain solid white. I have 6000ks in my mustang and if you look closey they have the SLIGHTEST hint of blue in them, but i am almost 100% confident you will be happy with it.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:13 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

i'm okay with a real slight blue. i just dont want those ones that look solid blue.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:25 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Maybe this will help

Old 05-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

I don't know how familiar you are with HID's, but I think its worth my mentioning just so you know.

Some HID's change very strange odd colors when you turn them on. My truck changes from white to green to purple to a pink to a blue and settles there. If your first starting them up they may take a little bit to get to full brightness. HID's are/can be really finicky, sometime the right side one doesn't work, normally all I have to do is turn them off and on a couple of times. Sometimes when turning them on they could flicker, either its a bad flicker and they turn off or its okay and they stay on.

I went to go check out the ones in my mustang ( I didn't put them in) and they turn blue before they turn white.

So I just thought i'd give you a heads up on some stuff that freaked me out when I first started using them haha.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Crash, when you put HID's in your fog lights, did you have to use two extra ballasts for them? Or are you able to power them with the two from your headlights?
Old 05-28-2012, 12:35 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by Doyon
Crash, when you put HID's in your fog lights, did you have to use two extra ballasts for them? Or are you able to power them with the two from your headlights?
Extra ballast for them. These are 6k headlight and fog lights at 35w

Quick Reply: Those with hid's