4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Just found out about the on3 turbo kit... too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:00 AM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I've been back and forth for years over whether to go on3 or procharger. I can tell you you'll see some people with good experience and some with bad experience with on3. I've seen previius owners saying they are slowly going downhill and others saying they love the new kit. Personally, i would never run the turbo or wastegate that come with the kit. These are two items you dont want to cheap out on. If you plan on big power, i dont know what the intercooler is good for, i would consider getting a treadstone. As for the 2nd gen kit in general, its fairly new, and i really think we need to see over the next year how the kits are holding up and performing. There just isnt enough data on them yet.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:13 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

With there being less piping, turbo support bracket, same injectors, same BOV and WG (I believe), same cold side and similar turbo as the 1st gen I think it's safe to say it'll hold up just a little bit better than the first gen kit.

My buddy has almost 12k on his first gen with the stock turbo.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:59 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
PAS = Power Adder Solutions

Agreed though as he offers the best price and is a great guy.
That and he seems to have the kits in stock vs when you call on3 it takes 2 months to get it haha.

But yea, I wouldnt trust the on 3 waste gate or basic turbos, I actually ordered a ball bearing one from them and returned it but to be honest, it seemed like a very solid unit.

I wouldnt be scared to run it on my car.

The waste gate was wack, the valve didnt even sit right and looked like it would leak so I went ahead and replaced it.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:15 AM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Its not the cold side i'm worried about. I think my two biggest concerns are seeing how the headers hold up and what style flex piece theyre using now.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Their ball bearing turbo isn't that great. It's single bearing which really doesn't impress me that much. I suppose better than nothing though.

Their WGs are just like any other knockoff really. People shouldn't be buying their kit if they're expecting top quality parts lol

Luckily, CG Fabrications has come out with a hotside that allows you to keep accessories and such but that keeps pretty pricey.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:34 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
Its not the cold side i'm worried about. I think my two biggest concerns are seeing how the headers hold up and what style flex piece theyre using now.
Yea, that was another thing they addressed, the flex pipes were junk but they replaced it with a far better piece.

As someone mentioned earlier the headers are made out of the same gauge steel as MAC headers, I had mac headers on my car for like 8 years with no issues, but we will see how these hold up.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:15 PM
StangKid018
3rd Gear Member

Im another 2100 vortech builder. it can be done with a little time and pacients.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:30 PM
sneakypete_ftw!
1st Gear Member

I had an on3 kit for my 08 that I recently sold. I never got the chance or desire to do the install but the kit looked super nice and looked to be great quality. I never used the kit due to buying my bullitt before I got the chance to do the install and lost interest in modding the 08.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:26 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangKid018
Im another 2100 vortech builder. it can be done with a little time and pacients.
it sure can... and I would fully recommend that for anyone on a stock bottom end, but when the time comes that you want to make more power and build a nice bottom end, turbo is the way to go IMO

I ditched my v2 si trim in order to go turbo

You just can not beat the power per PSI and that mid range torque/power that a turbo will produce

Last edited by justinschmidt1; 06-11-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 AM
02TrueBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

I spent about $1700 for my Vortech build before the tune. Just felt like chiming in haha.

Quick Reply: Just found out about the on3 turbo kit... too good to be true?