4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

the stang for a HCI + N20 LS1

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 01:14 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Thanks guys! Well the guy tells me he's done with the whole power quest thing, and wants more of a streetable cruiser that's not so damn loud...something that he can take the wife and little ones in on a road trip and not have them all upset and such lol. He also says the looks is what he's really after, and he really loves the way mine is setup. His is basically stock look wise.

And yes you are right Greddy...LS6 intake.

This is good...keep em coming guys

Last edited by mrtstang; 08-25-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

You better keep your damn car and get out of this damn catfish state of mind you've been in
Old 08-25-2012, 01:45 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
this isn't a 4.6. stock ls's handle more than that. if the tune's right the hci and 100 shot will be safe.
I understand what motor is what. I've seen quite a few local hci guys with some juice push 500 on stock bottom ends and lose pistons. They were all set up by RPM also...which is right around the corner (and reputable) . All Im sayin is, be careful at that power level
Old 08-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

First lets start with the power. The 5.3 heads bump compression up from the LS1s 10:5 to 11:1 or so, then you have the superior flow as well, so just the heads are putting him in a good place. The V2 cam is pretty stout as well, my guess is he is making at least 440-450 rwhp if its an automatic. Through a manual I could see 460+. I wouldn't focus on the dyno numbers however, not important. The important thing is that its tuned right. I have a much milder set-up and expect to see high 11s at 117-119 this fall. With just bolt ons, 3.73s, and a tune I ran a 12.2 at 114 mph on street tires (1.87 60'). That was before my heads and cam, which are a much milder set-up that the one your looking at. As far as what that car can hold, 500 RWHP is fine, over that it is what it is. Doesn't matter though, a stock car can drop a piston, lol. I can totally understand why he wants to trade and imo this is why..he has created a beast and has grown tired of it. it happens, trust me. Thats why I went with the set-up I choose. To keep a fairly stock feeling ride under part throttle. Big cams create more fumes, more idle surging, more fuel consumption, more valve train noise, etc, etc. Sounds like the guy just wants a fun car without all the headaches. Not saying the car is unreliable and won't last for years, but its definitely a raw drive. Love it or hate it. Personally, I would trade in a heartbeat if you want to go faster. I would think twice about spraying it on top of that power though, in fact I wouldn't do it, but thats just me. I would also ditch those 4.10s in favor of some 3.73s. The 10 bolt is already too small, and having that much less meat on the ring gear is only going to make it weaker, not to mention be a smoke show when it comes to traction. I can't hook for anything with my 3.73s under 35 mph or so, not flat footing it anyway. I'd do it, but realize what it is you are getting into.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:04 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Stone, the car is a 6-speed and made 460 rwhp, so it sounds like you are right on It is definitely more of a "raw" drive than mine, but I personally like it Texas Speed says the compression is 10:8, which is up from the stock 10:1 if I understand right? Also you are exactly right in the way you describe on the reasons for this guy wanting to do the trade. To be honest I really think this guy is telling the truth and is legit...that's just my intuition of course. Also the car ran an 11.7 @ 119 with Nitto dr's on the stock 17 rims, and totally stock suspension. Are you also saying not to go over 500 rwhp because it has a stock rear end, or because the stock internals will be maxed? I've called Livernois and a couple other reputable shops, and all say the stock internals are good to around 550 rwhp with no problems on a good tune.

Last edited by mrtstang; 08-25-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:19 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

the tune is the big thing imo. and it wont be seeing that much power often. just dont take it to lidio. walsh or livernois please. lol
Old 08-25-2012, 03:40 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
the tune is the big thing imo. and it wont be seeing that much power often. just dont take it to lidio. walsh or livernois please. lol
Oh yeah, I totally respect Lidio (I wouldn't take my stang to anyone else) but i've heard too much negative when it comes to LS cars
Old 08-25-2012, 03:40 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

MRT....shaking my head
Old 08-25-2012, 03:43 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Okay Purp an Gt04...tell me why you guy's are against it?
Old 08-25-2012, 03:47 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

like i told you on the phone, they're mustang guys on a mustang board. dont expect many people on here to support your decision LOL. I've had my hands pretty deep inside ls cars/motors and learned to give respect when it is due and imo this would be a very good trade on your part. only thing that sucks about the cars is the rears and they sound gay compared to a 4.6.

Quick Reply: the stang for a HCI + N20 LS1