4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

To spool or not to spool.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:00 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Default To spool or not to spool.

Before I put my car under the knife, I noticed the diff was starting to get a bit sloppy, and not lock all the time. I just had the entire thing gone through due to a bad carrier bearing and at the same time I installed my gears at 50k, the car now has 70k. I've ridden in a few cars with spools, and I didnt think to much of it, normal driving was ok, and it really only did light chirping when pulling out of a parking spot. Once my car is done, it will see track time. (From my house to the track, there is only 8 turns I have to make.) I will occasionally drive it to work as well, which is only 10 turns, other than that it will see a few cruises a year and thats it. mostly a track car. Would a spool be too much still? The car will NEVER SEE RAIN, and never be driven through mountains or anything, and with the housing craze, all the roads by me are 3 lanes wide, surrounded by empty fields.

I've thought about welding the stock diff to see if I like it, if not, I could always go with an upgraded unit. I know welding isnt the preferred method, but its a cheap way to test it out with out doing something I cant fix.

You guys think its worth a shot? Either a mini spool, or welding the diff to see if I can deal with it.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:46 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

dont waste money with a mini-spool. you will explode that whole rear to pieces with it. Trust me. Go with the spool if you must have all out traction.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Spools are rough on the road, but not necessairly going to damage anything. There an old guy local that drives a 408 fox on the road like everywhere, and he runs a spooled rear end/
Old 10-15-2012, 08:10 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Spools are rough on the road, but not necessairly going to damage anything. There an old guy local that drives a 408 fox on the road like everywhere, and he runs a spooled rear end/
spool will do OK, but a mini-spool is a no no for any street driving. It WILL break that pin, and what that happens, well the rest is history. Take my word/experience for it lol
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
spool will do OK, but a mini-spool is a no no for any street driving. It WILL break that pin, and what that happens, well the rest is history. Take my word/experience for it lol
Yea mini spools are garbage, im referring to a full steel spool
Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

i have personal ran welded rears on offroad 4x4's, i never had any any trouble while getting to the trails by roads. i say a full spool wouldnt be out of the question for a part time cruiser/track car.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 PM
TCStangerv6
2nd Gear Member

I've also been debating on going with a spool. you should do it and tell me how you like it.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:04 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

The only reason I was asking about mini spools, is I wanna try it before I commit... haha. I've ridden in a few cars and they werent too bad. I may just pull the trigger. You guys havent said anything "bad" about them. I think Jayrod has a spool on here, maybe he'll chime in.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 PM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

I would not go that route. Unless you plan on doing a lot or straight line racing spools are not made for DD's. A spooled rear end, locks the axles together so when you go around a turn, the inside tire spins. It will also try to push you straight when you go to turn. I know this will be a weekend warrior, but put your money elsewhere. My 2 cents.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:22 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

i dont think spools are that bad, the big question is what kind of tires do you run? my buddy had an old fox with 15x8 welds with 26x10 hoosier slicks, he drove the car all the time on the street with a spool and said he hardly ever heard a chirp or whatever from the tires because they had so much play in them. I also know somebody with a car that never goes to the track but yet he's running a spool and also drives that on the street plenty with 17" wheels out back and he said it's also not nearly as bad as people would think.

as far as if you can stand the spool, i say weld the diff and give it a shot. if you dont like it, buy a 31 spline diff/axle setup, if you can live with it fine, get a spool. Only bad thing imo about spools is having to run c-clip eliminators and i've heard they all leak.

Quick Reply: To spool or not to spool.