4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

500+ rwhp in a '03 gt? (long post!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:31 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Default 500+ rwhp in a '03 gt? (long post!)

hey MF'ers, Wondering how realistic this goal would be. After im done doing my visual mods, id like to make this car perform as badass as its going to look. Going to be lowering the car and getting 18's all the way around also. Will not be tracked, but a spirited driven weekend cruiser/show car, but would like to make some serious power.

If im going to go FI i want to do it right, and make sure everything is as reliable as possible, so please tell me anything i am missing. My cars are my babies and i dont want anything happening to them!

Finances is not necessarily an issue as i can save up for awhile and get it, or just get each piece done at a time.

With that being said, would 500+ rwhp be possible with this setup:

-Supercharger.. possibly KB or Whipple
-Lt's, catted X, catback
-dyno tune
-blown cams, maybe comp
-(forged internals...If someone could walk me over this process, it would be great! i know what it is, but not sure on how to go about doing it, costs, gains, pros/cons, etc.)
-3.73 gears (i know it wont affect hp but thought id throw it in for quicker launches)
-Already have an MGW installed.
-Will need an after market clutch, possibly stage 2 spec

So far this is my list and im thinking i could hit 500+hp at the wheels, if anyone has any suggestions im open to them! If i said anything incorrectly, please correct me!

If anyone could also give me the best brands to go with for the cams thatd be cool too. thanks.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:24 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

you're gonna need a lot of money to do it, but depending on how far you're willing to go it can be done. You might wanna look into get a shortblock, it comes to you with forged internals, then you need the heads, cams, etc
Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

The block will be the most important part of the build and make or break everything.. You're also going to need to plant that power and the stock suspension just isn't going to cut it..
Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

i plan on modifying the suspension, but is there any way of doing all of this without basically getting a new engine? seems like thats what this means right? car only has 40k miles on it, so im sure its pretty sturdy (i know not enough for 500hp).
Old 10-16-2012, 08:41 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

You can have yours built if that's what your asking..
Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
You can have yours built if that's what your asking..
Im good with cars but when it comes to FI im not to fond at all. So i can just order forged internals and that would be that? doesnt seem that easy. Im hoping someone can just list everything i would need for an ideal supercharged setup
Old 10-16-2012, 09:24 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

I'm so confused by what you're asking.. Yes you can just order the internals, you would have to get them installed into a block obviously and pay a builder for the work and and machining.. Or you can just buy an assembled shortblock and swap all the stuff from your stock block onto the assembled one (assuming the one you bouight doesn't need any milling).. The list is not short for the power goal you're wanting.. I'd recommend you start a lot smaller.. You're going to hate what I'm about to say but you're 18, start small.. Don't take offense.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:41 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

I'm so confused by what you're asking.. Yes you can just order the internals, you would have to get them installed into a block obviously and pay a builder for the work and and machining.. Or you can just buy an assembled shortblock and swap all the stuff from your stock block onto the assembled one (assuming the one you bouight doesn't need any milling).. The list is not short for the power goal you're wanting.. I'd recommend you start a lot smaller.. You're going to hate what I'm about to say but you're 18, start small.. Don't take offense.
i dont hate it at all. Anything helps. Im very confused as to the process myself. Maybe i could do everything possible with this car minus the FI and just start saving up for a new mustang when im older (or a used '13 or a used 05-09gt500). After the car is paid off, i will be 22 and i will have saved up about 6500-7500 dollars (already calculated it).

Maybe ill leave it alone and wait to throw a blower on
Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

That's my recommendation.. Save your pennies, pay off the car.. You never know when you might need them.. and just have fun while you're young doing other things for the money.. 6500-7500 sounds like a lot, but that wont even cover the cost to build the car up to reliably make 500 wheel..
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

That's my recommendation.. Save your pennies, pay off the car.. You never know when you might need them.. and just have fun while you're young doing other things for the money.. 6500-7500 sounds like a lot, but that wont even cover the cost to build the car up to reliably make 500 wheel..
no what i meant was im saving up to about 7k for my next car, so when i pay this one off, i can decide wether i want to purchase another car which i most likely will depending on finances.

I could get about 8-10k to build up the car in about a year if i save about 3/4 of my pay.

With that being said, with LT's, catted x, catback exhaust, CAI and 91 tune, cams, do you think i could hit 350 at the wheels?

Quick Reply: 500+ rwhp in a '03 gt? (long post!)