4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 PM
LarryD

Default Help Please

I recently had my 1998 Mustang totaled. So I'm in the market for a new car. Anyway, I went to a dealer to get information on a 2003 Mustang GT that I found on the internet. The internet list price was 12,000. I got the the dealer and the sticker said 15,000. After some haggling with the dealer I got him down to 6,000.

The car has 57,000 miles on it and shows a rear end collision on the Carfax where the airbags were not deployed. On inspection, the car had a few minor paint chips on the front bumper and trunk area. There was also a little paint rippling on front bumper.

I felt like the dealer went down on the price too quickly. Although I have been practicing my haggling techniques for a week. I don't feel that I am "THAT" good. I was a little suspicious of how easy it was to talk him down. Did I make the right decision or should I go running back???

Other things to note: This is a fairly large dealership, I was thinking maybe their are so big that little cars like this don't mean much to them, thus they are ready to get ride of them. Am I right? Dealership also offered a 3 month warranty. Here's the car.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

wait. you got him down to 6,000? from 15,000? a little suspicious dont you think?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

make sure it has a clean title. 6k for an '03 with that many miles is a STEAL!!! sounds to me like it's got a salvage title. however, you may be right on your guess about the dealer, odds are they only paid around 4k for that car on trade in or at an auction, so they're still making a little quick coin. just weird that a dealer goes less than half of their sticker price. if it drives nice and the title is clean i'd go for it.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:27 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

i would check for a salvage title, just seems extremely odd to me. Dealerships are bastards, doesnt seem like they would help you out that much
Old 10-20-2012, 12:13 AM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

I assume you had a mechanic check it out. That's a pretty good deal. It might be that a Honda dealer just doesn't have the right buyer for that car. Nothing wrong with them pricing it down to get it off the lot.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:51 AM
LarryD

Thanks for the input guys. So that's 1 heck no and three possibles. By the way, the car had no salvage title reported by carfax. I have read some yelp reviews about this dealer, one review had a similar experience to mine. According to them they got a nice offer, walked out and returned. When they return they were offered a slightly higher price. Overall they were dissatisfied with the experience. I don't know, I'm about 70% ready to let this one go, I'll definitely shop around a little more before I even think about going back. According to the site Im using the car has been on the lot for about 40 days, so my guess is it will still be there, not exactly a hot seller.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:56 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LarryD
Thanks for the input guys. So that's 1 heck no and three possibles. By the way, the car had no salvage title reported by carfax. I have read some yelp reviews about this dealer, one review had a similar experience to mine. According to them they got a nice offer, walked out and returned. When they return they were offered a slightly higher price. Overall they were dissatisfied with the experience. I don't know, I'm about 70% ready to let this one go, I'll definitely shop around a little more before I even think about going back. According to the site Im using the car has been on the lot for about 40 days, so my guess is it will still be there, not exactly a hot seller.
not saying heck no, but we all know dealerships...they will try to get EVERY cent out of us. And lets face it, over 50% off of the asking price? For instance, i just bought a '03 gt (same color and everything) about a month ago with only 40k miles on it and they asked for 10,900. I didnt budge and got them down to 10,300. That was the absolute lowest i could get them, and took it because it was very clean, had low mileage and i thought it was a fair price.

I guess what im getting at is, go with your gut instinct, ask questions
Old 10-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Convex
2nd Gear Member

I think demand is what sets value as the New Edge is kind of hot now because like me i don't like the newer ones or there prices..

I just got my taxs yesterday and my 2001 GT convertible is valued at $6800.. if your buying then you could use info like that as not to pay more the tax value.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:45 AM
MaxxRPM
1st Gear Member

You're gonna have to trust your own instinct on this one. Fact is the car has been damaged BUT 6K$ is not alot of money nowdays for a decent used car (especially a clean looking 03 GT).
Look it over good, give it a good drive, and then decide.

Last edited by MaxxRPM; 10-21-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:00 PM
T.Richardson
1st Gear Member

Im guessing its been sitting on the lot for a while.

IF it was me, I would give a good 'ole test drive.. like a local highway or something.

but 6k is a steal.