4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

vent session/future plans (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Default vent session/future plans (long post)

Well everybody, just needed to vent. Cars have been away since the end of october and its starting to really kill me. But i know when i pull them out they will be just as nice as when i put them in, and no mileage put on during these months is pretty nice too i guess.

Anyways, everything i will be talking about for future plans will be pertaining to my black 5 speed 2003 gt just so everyone is clear.

So, as of now, i have about $1,500 saved, plus another $~1,500 is owed to me, and about $2k ill get back at tax time. Ill potentially have about 5.5k to spend by the time i pull them out in April depending on the weather.

Hoping to get to about 500 or so rwhp and i know i can with this setup. Wont be tracked or raced, but turning it into a street monster. I am planning to go all out on this build, because if im going to do something, i want it done right. I dont want my stock SB to blow on me, etc. Plus its fun watching my baby turn into more of a beast!

Money isnt necessarily a huge issue, since this build will take place over the next couple years, maybe less depending on financial situation.

(before i start, i know this is more than what i have, but just letting you guys know my plans as of now)
-Hoping to do all my cosmetic mods (smoked tails possibly, smoked heads w/ hid's possibly, shorty antenna, '95 cobra r hood, 03/04 cobra front bumper with fogs and bezels, new side scoops, quarter window louvers,
and a few interior goodies. Once everything is finished, its going to get a brand new black paint job (paint is in great condition actually, but since the hood and bumper is unpainted i figured i might as well, it cant hurt)

-Exhaust: bbk shorty's, bbk catted x, borla atak catback (limited due to emissions here in NY)

-Gears/tuner: probably 3.73s becuase of FI down the road. Tuner as well and going to be rebuilding the rear as well.

- Suspension: not sure what yet, but will be lowering about 1.5" all around, LCA's, UCA's, panhard, caster camber plates, sway bars, bumpsteer kit, etc..

-Rims/tires: probably 18" staggered black saleen style rims

-MMR shortblock, probably forged 900 pro version with most of the additional upgrades.

-CMS stage 2.5 blower cams with trick flow head package.

-Supercharger: Most likely a Kenne Bell or Whipple. (any pros cons for these?)

If you read all of this, thanks! i know it was long but just wanted to throw this out there for all you's to see. How are these plans, am i on track? anything i missed, suggestions? thanks everybody!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Well first I'd like to tell you how jealous I am that you get to store your cars for the winter. My car was stored every winter up until 2 years ago when my winter car was just too far gone and trying to pay for two cars was getting old (especially as a college student). Now my once spotless stang is encased in salt for 3-4 months out of the year. Awful.

Excluding cosmetics, I think the best place to start is to get the motor squared away and go from there.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:12 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chubstang
Well first I'd like to tell you how jealous I am that you get to store your cars for the winter. My car was stored every winter up until 2 years ago when my winter car was just too far gone and trying to pay for two cars was getting old (especially as a college student). Now my once spotless stang is encased in salt for 3-4 months out of the year. Awful.

Excluding cosmetics, I think the best place to start is to get the motor squared away and go from there.
Completely understand the storing car thing. I have the luxury of using a couple beaters during the winter. I wouldnt let my stangs touch the road if it was bad outside. But being in your situation, i can understand. As long as you take cae of her youll be okay.

And yeah, after cosmetics, im thinking suspension and rims and tires. Once that is done i can order the SB and cams, heads, etc. Im also going to get the gears and tuner while im at it. Once thats on i can get the blower. I honestly cannot wait for this
Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

Wouldn't you want to do that the other way around? So, say you get all the exterior work done, then you start working on the mechanical stuff and scratch the hell out of your paint? I have a black 2000 GT, and I know black is a pain. I'm working my car from the inside out.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Seabee1993
Wouldn't you want to do that the other way around? So, say you get all the exterior work done, then you start working on the mechanical stuff and scratch the hell out of your paint? I have a black 2000 GT, and I know black is a pain. I'm working my car from the inside out.
yeah that would make sense, ive thought of that. But since i cant really do all the engine work myself, im sure a reputable shop wont scratch the paint
Old 12-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

There's an old saying that goes with that: having someone else work and on your car, and bragging about how fast it is, is like some guy screwing your gf and you bragging how good she is in bed!"
I don't trust shops, at least in your area you may have the that piece if mind. Overhead at shops here where I live is ridiculous, and they do poor work.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

There's an old saying that goes with that: having someone else work and on your car, and bragging about how fast it is, is like some guy screwing your gf and you bragging how good she is in bed!"
I don't trust shops, at least in your area you may have the that piece if mind. Overhead at shops here where I live is ridiculous, and they do poor work.
i plan on doing most of the work, but i dont know enough about mechanics to assemble the shortblock and drop it in. Plus id feel a bit nervous doing it on my own car. And i also dont know how to do the supercharger, im sure something would go wrong. Those are really the only things i want dont by a shop other than the paint of course
Old 12-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

Do as much as you can yourself. Around here, 90% of your tab is labor here. Gulf coast just sucks anymore since Katrina.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Do as much as you can yourself. Around here, 90% of your tab is labor here. Gulf coast just sucks anymore since Katrina.
yeah i know what you mean. labor costs are insane