4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4.6L mustang help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 AM
kurtis_garcia

Default 4.6L mustang help

I have a 2000 gt mustang right now it has a procam hurst shifter,4:11 gears,upper plenum intake,75mm throttle body,k&n cold air intake, borla drop tip exhaust,stage 2 clutch, shorty headers and im looking to give my pony alil more boost. I found some 42lb injectors with accel coils and looking at some cams what would help out my mustang the best? I don't want to put any blower or turbo kit on it just looking to give it some more raw power if anyone can help me please I would greatly appreciate it thank you...
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

42 lb/h injectors are too big for any n/a 2V build, they will be running at 50% to 60% duty cycle at WOT and peak HP, and be very difficult to tune for at normal engine speeds and loads. The 19 lb/h units you have (orange) are too small, 24 lb/h would be just right--you will of course need to have a custom tune to change the injectors.

Accel, or any aftermarket COPs are unnecessary, the stock COPs are completely capable of supporting any power level a 2V could make--n/a or boosted.

Cams will add grunt, those that add the most will affect driveability the most.

You did not mention a tune in your list of mods, if you do not have a custom tune all your mods so far (except the exhaust work) will have added just about nothing. The stock tune is horribly bad, running far too rich in open-loop mode and with ignition timing that is more than overly conservative.

I am curious as to whether you actually have 4.11 gears, or 4.10s. 4.11s are made for the 8.8" axle however they are not all that common...
Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 AM
kurtis_garcia

Im sorry I meant to say 4:10 and no I don't have a tune on this.....I do only have the 19lbs injectors as well....One quick question when I saw this I have a buddy selling a brand new sct tuner and a edlebrock intake.....I do have the stock plastic intake but how much would the edlebrock intake actually help out my vehicle? Yes I know the tuner would help out tremendously I never thought of that at all on the tuning...But he is selling both plus all the gaskets for 550 good buy or not? all the parts are brand new never been open...also if i have the stock maf would that restrict the bigger throttle body and upper plenum? One other mod I do have not mentioned is the bbk underdrive pullies.....If you could help me out on this it would be greatly appreciated the guy is giving me till 5 today to decide if I want them or not......
Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by kurtis_garcia
Im sorry I meant to say 4:10 and no I don't have a tune on this.....I do only have the 19lbs injectors as well....One quick question when I saw this I have a buddy selling a brand new sct tuner and a edlebrock intake.....I do have the stock plastic intake but how much would the edlebrock intake actually help out my vehicle?
If the manifold is the Edelbrock Victor Jr., which I believe is the only manifold Edelbrock makes for the 4.6L 2V, then I would pass on it. While the Victor Jr. will, with an adapter, work with the stock plenum/TB setup it is not really intended to do so, will not provide any power gain, and will likely reduce power on a 2V n/a configuration. It will not work with the stock fuel rails at all.

It is designed for setups like this (note the Edelbrock intake elbow and TB, aftermarket fuel rails and supercharger):

Here's a link to a thread posted by a fellow that had one installed, with BBK fuel rails, dyno tuned, and lost 20 HP. Read the whole thread as he has the numbers messed up in his first post.

Yes I know the tuner would help out tremendously I never thought of that at all on the tuning...But he is selling both plus all the gaskets for 550 good buy or not? all the parts are brand new never been open...
I do not think it is a particularly good buy as you can get the tuner with "free tunes for life" from BAMA for $380, save $170, and not have a manifold you will likely never use and end up selling "new in the box" down the road.

also if i have the stock maf would that restrict the bigger throttle body and upper plenum?
The stock 80 mm MAF is quite capable, it will meter up to 1150 kg/h (2550 lb/h) air flow and still have headroom. This is enough to support 350 rwHP running n/a. As you indicated you do not plan to do to an f/i build there is no need to replace it--here is some more information about the stock MAF and TBs.

One other mod I do have not mentioned is the bbk underdrive pullies.....If you could help me out on this it would be greatly appreciated the guy is giving me till 5 today to decide if I want them or not......
Attached Thumbnails 4.6L mustang help-mmfp-1109-two-valve-modular-engine-two-valve-hustle-000.jpg  
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM
kurtis_garcia

Thank you for your help I went ahead and passed on all of it and purchased the bama tuner from american muscle. .I appreciate all ur help on this....how much would the tuner actaully help even with all my parts on it now....would u say to expect like 15 additional hp and say 20 more torque?????? I did look at the other tuner I was gonna get and yeh it was 75 buks for each tune and with the bama I can get used to all the tunes.......ill take a pik and try to post once I get it on
Old 01-06-2013, 01:05 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

A tune may only add like 10-15 peak hp, but it will also increase throttle response and power under the curve as well. Back when I had my 04 gt gears and tune were by far the best 2 bolt on type mods that I did
Old 01-09-2013, 12:59 PM
kurtis_garcia

the tuner should be in on monday and im waiting to see what kind of response if any I will have with it. With this setup I got now what do you think this car will be pushing......BBK shorty header,BBK underdrive pullies,K&N cold air intake,75mm throttle body with upper plenum, procam hurst shifter, borla drop tips exhaust and h pipe, 4:10 gears, and now the custom tuner and tune..........would you say around 275rwhp and about 290 torque?....Or not even that high?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by kurtis_garcia
the tuner should be in on monday and im waiting to see what kind of response if any I will have with it. With this setup I got now what do you think this car will be pushing......BBK shorty header,BBK underdrive pullies,K&N cold air intake,75mm throttle body with upper plenum, procam hurst shifter, borla drop tips exhaust and h pipe, 4:10 gears, and now the custom tuner and tune..........would you say around 275rwhp and about 290 torque?....Or not even that high?
In the 245 to 250 rwHP and 290 lb-ft range, with a tune optimised for premium fuel. You were probably around 225/260 with the stock tune.

Are you going to have it dyno'd with before and after the tune runs?

I had mine on the rollers two weeks after I got it to get a baseline, and four times since then...
Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 PM
kurtis_garcia

I have a guy that will dyno it for me but not sure how much or when he could....And damn just to be my luck I went to have my motor detailed and I get it back and as soon as I start it up bamn it sounds awful....And im like wtf happened and im asking the guy and he is like the chemicals for the detail are supposed to be boiled off or dried for 6 hrs and that is why your car is doing that...Im not dumb and i know if sumtin is wrong with it and he goes well if it is like that tmmr bring it back and ill take care of it.....so to me im thinking i got water or sumtin in my plugs now......Im driving it home and damn is it misfiring like crazy....half way home my cel comes on and im like wtf.....so i go to autozone and sure enough missfire on cylinder 6.7.8.......so im like wtf....so i get home and i hear like a click click click noise and I go under my car and my damn front cats are like torch red.....If you don't mind what would you say is wrong???????? Like i said to me it just seems like i got to much water in the plugs now from the detail of the motor but why would that make the cats look like that????
Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Severe misfiring pumps raw fuel into the exhaust, and the cats burn it up. They were most likely damaged by driving it while misfiring so badly.

There is water in the plug wells because the idiot that washed your engine put it there. Pull the COPs, dry them with a hair dryer, and then blow out the plug wells with compressed air. If you do not have access to compressed air then use paper towels to soak up the water in the wells, then spray WD-40 into the plug wells and sop that out as well.

Put it all together and as long as the COPs were not damaged (they will overheat and burn out if subjected to severe shorting of their outputs) it should run OK. The ticking noise could be a sticking exhaust valve (from being washed down with raw fuel) or an exhaust leak--they sometimes sound like ticking/clicking...

Quick Reply: 4.6L mustang help