4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cooling issue (Fan - I think)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 04:10 PM
revjustinkase

Default Cooling issue (Fan - I think)

Hey Guys,

To start off - I'm new here and new to Mustangs as well. I did search the forum before writing this and did find some threads that covered some similar, but not mine exactly. However, if you know of a thread that does, which i have missed, just point me to the thread.

Car history: I just bought a 96 GT convertible. 149xxx miles. The guy I bought it from put a lot of after market parts on it - mostly in the suspension: coil overs, caster & camber, bump steer, tube control / a-arms, rack & pinion, 17' bullet wheels, frame rail supports, etc - but a few motor items as well: Aluminum 3 row radiator, CAI, and what I think is an after market electric cooling fan which has 2 fans. I should also mention, I just got it out of the shop where they put in a new intake manifold.

My issue: My car is running hot. Mainly in stop and go traffic and when I have the AC on. It stays within normal range, but the needle gets to in between the A and L in "Normal". I live in AZ and its already in the upper 90's / low 100's and only getting hotter, so I need to figure this out.

I have replaced the thermostat and added more water to the coolant / water mix and that didn't do much. When I got home just now I left the car running with the AC on and looked to see if the fans where moving and it looks as if only one fan is turning. The one on the driver's side. I would think both fans should be going when its that hot? I thought I read on this or another forum that with the two fans, one will run constantly when the AC is on and the other will only kick on when the car gets hot enough to need it. Is that correct? If so, how would I test to see if the other fan works at all? I'm guessing that either the fan motor on the left side is burnt out, or coolant temp sensor isn't working correctly?

Any advice on trouble shooting this issue?

Thanks in advance for your time and any helpful advice.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:20 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

the 96 gt should only have 1 fan, sounds like you have an aftermarket dual fan setup, its possible that both those fans need to be running to equal the single stock fans air flow, some afttermarket fans flow poorly.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:24 PM
revjustinkase

Yeah. I figured they only had the one on the stock setup. Maybe one side is just burnt out and I need to replace the fan....
Old 05-17-2016, 05:14 PM
revjustinkase

Okay- so here's a little update....

I just went out and started her and with the A/C on the passenger side fan comes on and stay on. If I turn the A/C off, and the car is getting hot, the driver's side fan will kick on, but the passenger side fan turns off. So it seems only one fan runs at a time, which is odd.

Does anyone have any experience with these two fan setups and is this how its supposed to work? Is there any way to get them both to go at the same time?
Old 05-17-2016, 05:15 PM
revjustinkase

Quick Update:

Okay- so here's a little update....

I just went out and started her and with the A/C on the passenger side fan comes on and stay on. If I turn the A/C off, and the car is getting hot, the driver's side fan will kick on, but the passenger side fan turns off. So it seems only one fan runs at a time, which is odd.

Does anyone have any experience with these two fan setups and is this how its supposed to work? Is there any way to get them both to go at the same time?
Old 05-18-2016, 06:05 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

If all possible, put a new oem fan back on it.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:10 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Btw, if you are going by the factory water temp guage, its in reality a "dummy gauge." It may not being getting hot as you think. It will show operating temps steady while the actual temps will be flucuatting (spelling I know). Once the temps gets outside the deemed range, it will show hot or cold.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:11 PM
revjustinkase

Originally Posted by school boy
If all possible, put a new oem fan back on it.
Yeah. I think I'll head down to Pick A Part this weekend and see if I can pull one and see if that works.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:19 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Be quite honest, on a mild setup, I have never heard of a properly working coolant system and fan give anyone trouble. You could rewire the secondary ac fan to come on with the other also but depending on what exactly you have, its hard to know if it will cool properly.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:54 PM
revjustinkase

Originally Posted by school boy
Btw, if you are going by the factory water temp guage, its in reality a "dummy gauge." It may not being getting hot as you think. It will show operating temps steady while the actual temps will be flucuatting (spelling I know). Once the temps gets outside the deemed range, it will show hot or cold.
Yeah. I'm using the dash gauge. I need to get and install an aftermarket temp gauge, but that will have to wait until I have the cash.

when its cool out - it never goes past the middle of the gauge, but when its hot like in the afternoon 80's, 90's, 100's. The gauge creeps up to the L in normal. It also go back down if I turn on the heater or drive at highway speeds, which is why i'm thinking that the current fan set up just isn't cutting it.

Quick Reply: Cooling issue (Fan - I think)