4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Engine temp and Gas Gauges don't work properly

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 07:33 PM
DenissK

Unhappy Engine temp and Gas Gauges don't work properly

98 Mustang GT. My odometer and trip meters recently went out so I got new gears and tried to fix them. I unplugged the negative on the battery and took out the instrument cluster. I disconnected only the left connector and got all three cluster pieces out. Changed the gears and put everything back without any issues. Connected the connector and put the cluster back into its place. THe odometers work but the gas and engine temp gauges dont function properly. When the car is on, the fuel gauge get to the middle and stays there (have not driven much so I don;t know if it will lower as the gas decreases in the tank). It does not go down when the car is shut down. When I was at a quarter of a tank, I filled up some gas and it went up no problem but does not seem to decrease.
Engine temp gauge - goes up as normal as the engine heats up. Stays at normal even when the has been shutdown for most of the day. When I turn the key half way, the needle actually goes down to the temp to which it has cooled down. Now it is at zero. Does not move if key is not turned to "update" the needle posiiton.

THings I have tried - reconnecting the connector at the back of the instrument cluster. No difference
Reconnecting the battery - no result.

Still need to check the fuse and relays.
Maybe look at the anti-slosh module.

I don't think it is the sender sensor for the gas gauge as the needle goes up when it was down and the beginning but that probably does not make sense.

DO you think I need a new instrument cluster?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:39 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

its possible you jostled the servos in the cluster and damaged them, also make sure all the connectors on the cluster have the wires properly seated. Sometimes pulling them apart can make the wire pull out the back.. also check the pins in the connector for damage/bent