4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Is this a scam? Brake Fluid Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:49 PM
dakman96

Default Is this a scam? Brake Fluid Replacement

I have a 2003 Mach 1 with around 130k miles on it. I messed up and let my brake pads on the rear go too far before replacing them and as a result ran out of pad and messed up my rotors... I'm getting new rotors/pads tomorrow, but the shop said I'd also need a brake fluid flush because of debris and dirt coming from the pad hitting the rotors? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way for it to get in there is it? I feel like they're just trying to tack on a small extra charge. So, could this be necessary?

Thank you
Old 08-29-2017, 01:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by dakman96
I have a 2003 Mach 1 with around 130k miles on it. I messed up and let my brake pads on the rear go too far before replacing them and as a result ran out of pad and messed up my rotors... I'm getting new rotors/pads tomorrow, but the shop said I'd also need a brake fluid flush because of debris and dirt coming from the pad hitting the rotors? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way for it to get in there is it? I feel like they're just trying to tack on a small extra charge. So, could this be necessary?

Thank you
The need to flush brake fluid is a real thing for regular maintenance intervals. It wears out and should be flushed out completely every 2-3 years. The way it's presented by this shop makes no sense. Dirt does not enter the system from the outside of the calipers unless a seal broke. That would be obvious because you'd have brake fluid everywhere.

Their lack of a decent explanation though doesn't mean it completely negates the need to flush the fluid. Anytime you replace your pads, you should flush the calipers first. Over time, water and dirt from corrosion within the system collects in the calipers. When you replace your pads, you push the caliper pistons into the caliper, this displaces the dirty fluid into the only direction it can go in, back into your brake lines and possible your ABS module or Master Cylinder.

Yes, you should have the fluid flushed but you may want them to re-explain why. Perhaps you misunderstood them or, they really are right for the completely wrong reason.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:43 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Like Derf said, yes. I however would never pay a shop to do that kind of work, nor the brakes, but that's your call and your money.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:48 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

flush the fluid if its original, but the shops explanation is bogus, find a new shop
Old 08-29-2017, 04:58 PM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Prolonged heat and cool cycles cause it to get dark and it does pick up moisture over time as well......not hard to flush and well worth the effort since brakes are kinda useful at times!!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 PM
dakman96

Any other time I'd do it myself but unfortunately I just started college back and have a job and don't have the time/place to do it. I need my car daily to get to work and need it fixed asap so I'm letting a shop do it. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll probably flush the fluid myself this weekend