4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Safe to run no o2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 07:43 AM
dannyboy_1320

Default Safe to run no o2 sensors?

So I ordered an hpipe last week and it should be arriving by the end of the week. However, I was considering removing the factory mid pipe tonight and running open headers for a few days for ****s n giggles. My only concern with this is how the engine will run without the o2 sensors. I believe it will run more rich than normal but will this have any long term effects on the car? For example will I have to get my car tuned when I get the o2 sensors back on with the new hpipe?
Old 11-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Bad idea.

You risk engine damage driving around with open manifolds (I assume this is what you have, and not aftermarket longtubes), and even if we dont consider that part the upstream 02 sensors are critical to engine management. Will it start and run without them? Sure, probably anyway. Will it run like absolute dogsh!t? Without a doubt.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:58 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

dont run around with open headers... you can start and idle for a few minutes but without front 02s it will run horribly. dont drive it like that
Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

It has always been said that running an engine for long periods with either no exhaust pipes, just manifolds, will result in "suck-back" of cold air, that can damage exhaust valves. True? I never found out! imp
Old 11-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by imp
It has always been said that running an engine for long periods with either no exhaust pipes, just manifolds, will result in "suck-back" of cold air, that can damage exhaust valves. True? I never found out! imp
My understanding as well. Maybe OP can give it a try and let us know? Lol.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:09 PM
dannyboy_1320

Originally Posted by imp

Ive read/ heard from many sources that valve damage from open headers/ manifolds is just an old wives tale. I will not be running open headers anymore as I don’t want the car to run like **** due to the o2’s and cause my H-pipe finally arrived . Heard the UPS truck from like a block away and was waiting for the delivery guy at the door lol.