Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Kenne Bell Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 11:20 PM
matto1975
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Kenne Bell Install

I noticed you didn't say anything about fuel system upgrade. Does the KB not require any upgrade to it?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:51 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

I can't wait to get a blower on my car, I am still debating between the KB, Saleen and Whipple.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:47 AM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: matto1975

that thing is sweet....I am excited about getting my blower...I just ordered the 2.3L whipple today
Should have the same kind of improvement that I just got. If you haven't ridden in a blown 05 by the time yours shows up, you'll have to rub a couple out after the first spin around the block. How do they tune the Whipple and are you doing the install?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:51 AM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lostsoul

Congrats on the KB. The unit does look awsome, but $6700 price tag is heafty.. that enters the twin turbo area or my procharger and 90% of my short block rebuild.. haha (dont ask). I just need more over time!!!
I could of had one out the door for $5600 but I had to have all the bells and whistles. What the hell, you can't take it with you.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:57 AM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: matto1975

I noticed you didn't say anything about fuel system upgrade. Does the KB not require any upgrade to it?
Come with a Kenne Bell "Boost-A-Pump" which is used to boost the voltage of your stock pump (usually during WOT) to maintain a constant fuel pressure to the engine. They've been using them since 1997 (I think). Took about an hour and a half to install.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:09 AM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

I can't wait to get a blower on my car, I am still debating between the KB, Saleen and Whipple.
Just do your homework and find as much info on them as you can. You never want any surprises when you are dropping that many duckets on a part. A friend of mine always says, "All of life's disappointments and frustrations come from unfulfilled expectations".
Old 03-27-2006, 03:24 AM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

I dont blame yea.. I installed the KB pump with my procharger unit. I also used 10 guage wire for the power.. I heard that would be a very good idea. It gave me perfect fuel perssure even while my rod was exiting my block [sm=smiley18.gif]
Old 03-30-2006, 02:32 AM
Skrappy
1st Gear Member

I had a Kenne Bell "Boost-a-Pump" on my '94 Lightning that I had a KB Supercharger on. So they might have been making them even longer than that.

I too find it strange that the manual did not tell you to narrow your spark plug gap? If I remember correctly, my instructions did tell me to do that. The increased cylinder pressures create a higher resistance betweent the plug electrodes and that leads to detonation. They had me bring mine in from a .44 to a .35 and that was with a MSD 6AL ignition, the old stock ones were even less due to the weaker sparks.

Skrappy
Old 03-30-2006, 02:43 AM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

That is exactly correct. The higher pressure in the cylinder requires more energy to jump the same gap. The problem is that with the higher energy needed increases the temp of the spark plug tip which could cause detonation. I got new plugs on the way now from Evolution Performance. Looks like they got the lock on the cooler plugs for right now. These are the dyno numbers I ran today.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:27 AM
CrimeScene
2nd Gear Member

Nice setup,hope when you start smoking people you get some good video for us,

CrimeScene

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell Install