Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

05-07 GT exhaust system how good/bad is it????

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:55 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 05-07 GT exhaust system how good/bad is it????

Agreed that the stock ones arent that bad, but alot of us want lots of HP while trying to stay N/A and unfortunately the only way to do that is squeeze every ounce from wherever we can.. It just so happens that doing all of this is a pain.. so we have to deal with it. Point is.. if you absolutely want/need the HP.. youll do whatever it takes to get it.

Also just wondering when this comes into play in your driving habits?! [8D]

ORIGINAL: classj

Headers to me are just a pita. And given the price, pain in the ars install, increased difficulty to work on certain parts of the car with them in, low ground clearance, emissions issues or crappy aftermarket cats, etc, etc.

I would rather admit that I lose the 15 horse than go through all that BS.

I can see if it had some type of horrible low flow manifolds on it. But they arent half bad.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:12 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I do stunt driving on the weekends......... The town I live in has the second most hills in the US just under San-Fransisco. I am planning a Bullit chase scene recreation.

Anyway seriously, someone on one of the forums snapped a shot of the bottom of their car from the side. Their headers hung down LOW. Way low. I looked at this guys 05 gt at a gas station and his pipes were low as well. He said he hit them going into his driveway.

In NJ, driving style really has nothing to do with it unfortunatly. The roads here simply suck. And sometimes, hitting a large divit or pothole at speed is unavoidable.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

I agree with you Bro!You either go on a N/A mission & squeeze the motor for what it's worth or just be happy with the stock stuff.Or you go on the F/I mission & squeeze the motor for what its worth.Or just be happy with the stock stuff.....Point Im trying to make is this.,,Your either a serious modder or timid modder.Either one is cool!Just dont criticize others for taking whatever path they decide to choose!Just my 2 cents.
ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Agreed that the stock ones arent that bad, but alot of us want lots of HP while trying to stay N/A and unfortunately the only way to do that is squeeze every ounce from wherever we can.. It just so happens that doing all of this is a pain.. so we have to deal with it. Point is.. if you absolutely want/need the HP.. youll do whatever it takes to get it.

Also just wondering when this comes into play in your driving habits?! [8D]

ORIGINAL: classj

Headers to me are just a pita. And given the price, pain in the ars install, increased difficulty to work on certain parts of the car with them in, low ground clearance, emissions issues or crappy aftermarket cats, etc, etc.

I would rather admit that I lose the 15 horse than go through all that BS.

I can see if it had some type of horrible low flow manifolds on it. But they arent half bad.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:57 AM
wakebord1999

Do they have a Animation Icon for a Band Wagon ??

This forum started off with everyone saying 35-40 HP.. 40HP.. YAY headers.. Then drbobvs challenges this (which i agree with), and now everyone is calling the bluff !

So what are the FACTS??
Old 08-27-2006, 05:25 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

From what i'v heard when people say 25-30RWHP from LT's it about 15-20 from the Chip and 10-15 from the LT's...
Old 08-27-2006, 12:33 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TomsEleanor

ok, im sure this is just because it was on some small $hitty computer speakers, but that did not sound any better than my stock exhaust 67wonab. in fact i thought it sounded a little tinny and high pitched compared to mine. sorry, but thats just what i heard.
The MAC's sound much tougher and have a deeper tone than stock and about 50% louder if not more. People keep trying to capture the sound with crap microphones and that's what you hear....
Old 08-27-2006, 07:02 PM
wakebord1999

Perhaps it's my old age setting in here.. But at highway speeds with a stock GT, you can hear the exhaust tone pretty clearly. IMO borderline more than i would care to hear for 2+ hrs straight.

Are you guys Dyno-Matting the floor of the car to keep some of this noise out of the cabin.. or are you going with the Louder the Better approach?
Old 08-27-2006, 07:09 PM
bushbanger
2nd Gear Member

I want louder I have the macs and I may go with o/r h pipe to wake them up a bit more
Old 08-27-2006, 07:18 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Corsa is the best exhaust there is out there. Hell it is the only one with a patent.

Att. Andrew
Old 08-29-2006, 12:14 PM
dbvettez06
1st Gear Member

Well my conclusion is this: Installing a JLT CAI this weekend , and a Bama 93 octane tune....Will drive the car and enjoy it, then next summer, will find the best set of long tube headers i can buy, install them, and have the car dynoed...If i can gain 30 hp [and more importantly 20/30- torque] with the CAI and 93 tune, then maybe another 20/20 with the headers/mid pipe, it will be worth it to me....My objective is to make 350 hp/300rwhp....

Quick Reply: 05-07 GT exhaust system how good/bad is it????