Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Question about UDP's

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 10:52 AM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about UDP's

I was going to get Steeda UDP for my 05 MGT as I was under the impression it would free up approx. 10hp, but an acquaintence of mine swears there's no way I'll get more than 1-4 tops. Now, I've read articles, forums, advertisements and maybe I was mistaken but I could swear that was the general consensus.

Before I drop $239 for a set, what am I realisitically getting? Thanks. (it's part of my 10-mods package that I sent laundry-list-style to Dynospeed Racing for a quote on parts and installation)

Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Question about UDP's

According to the fine folks at Brenspeed they are good for about 10 HP. I would certainly trust Brent more than I would trust your acquaintance.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Realistically, you are looking at 2-4 HP. Sorry, but UDPs are the most overrated mod in my opinion. Small HP gain, often at the expense of your alternator's longevity. Not to mention, if you ever get blown, you have to go back to stock pullies anyway.

In other words:
BOO UDPs!
HOORAY BEER!

God I love those red stripe commercials.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Maybe with Brent's tune. The man is an SCT magician!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:52 PM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

damn look at that, competing opinions again, lol!!

Does a tune have any bearing on hp in regards to installing UDP? Maybe that's where this confusion is coming in.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Any mod will only reach it's full potential with a proper tune.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:04 PM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

Ok well, I'm getting alot of work done at once including the UDP's thrown on, soooo, perhaps I will see a 10hp gain then.

It's some suspension mods to help put HP down to the ground (Panhard brace, bar, rear LCA, Steeda lowering springs), some 3.73 gears, and JBA LTH, JBA Xpipe with Cats, Magnaflow Catbacks, (unfortunately the LTH's make the situation a bit cramped apparently, necessitating some Engine mounts - went with Steeda - and an O2 extension harness). Combined with Steeda UDP, C&L CAI, SCT2 and some customized Tuning off of the Dyno.

With all of that going on, do you think the UDP's will reach their potential via the tune or am I fooling myself and just need to drop them from the equation? And no, the fact that I'm going SC someday down the line doesn't matter to me. If I can sell the UDP's used for $80-100 in a year, then I'll have gotten my fair share out of them in the meantime (my itch for some HP gains can't wait for the SC+forged internals phase right now, lol. Not after a year in the sandbox!!)
Old 07-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I've worked with stangs for a little over three years, and the chief complaint that I heard concerning UDPs was that they severely shortened the life of many people's alternators for a small HP gain. Granted, these were all SN95 cars, but I still don't think the UDPs are worth the risk.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:59 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

It may be too late if you already bought everything, but the Prothane "bullet" motor mounts are functionally identical to Steeda, for less than 1/2 the price. You might consider those.

I am inclined to agree with Nineinchnail regarding the UDPs. I personally don't care for them. I'd rather keep my alternator working at it's full capacity (and, for that matter, my water pump and A/C compressor) than get a small HP gain.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:06 PM
EasyGT

i have to agree with nineinchnail1024......hooray beer!

Quick Reply: Question about UDP's