Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Motive Gear or FRPP 4.10's

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 06:20 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Motive Gear or FRPP 4.10's

Surprisingly a lot!...lol gears are one of the best bang for the buck mods you can get. Sure, if you dump the clutch at high spin you'll spin the tires but you'll do it with stock gears. The 4.10's will be a very noticeable and happy mod for you.

But yeah, another 'must have mod' would be a good aftermarket rear swaybar, panhard bar, and upper and LCA's. You will feel a big diference I promise you.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:24 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blowngt

Surprisingly a lot!...lol gears are one of the best bang for the buck mods you can get. Sure, if you dump the clutch at high spin you'll spin the tires but you'll do it with stock gears. The 4.10's will be a very noticeable and happy mod for you.

But yeah, another 'must have mod' would be a good aftermarket rear swaybar, panhard bar, and upper and LCA's. You will feel a big diference I promise you.
Thank you, you have got me excited about gears again. They seem to good to be true, and then I heard some people talking them down. I'm actually on my way to talk to a shop where I am that the dealership sugested for gears. I will go check his prices and post them to see if this shop is a rip-off or not.

Thanks again,
mike
Old 07-30-2006, 06:47 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

No problem - just remember to get the frpp gears!
Old 07-30-2006, 07:13 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

No problem - just remember to get the frpp gears!
Definately the frpp, I called the shop and they are closed on sunday I guess, or poor customer service (didn't answer phone). Do you have a rough estimate what it should cost for a quality install on gears. And does anyone else know of a reputable shop in the Little Rock area?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:40 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

Depending on their hourly rate - you should not be charged more than 2-3 hours for gears.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:05 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

the only reason gears whine is if they are installed incorrectly. period, end of story, and if its a manual i would seriously look at getting 4.30s with the t3650 tranny, you will be at 2800 rpms at 80 mph and loose liek 3 mpg
[sm=bs.gif]BS - Some of the top installers in the country get whine with the motives. So you're saying Jim & Jim Jr. at JDM, Mike at livernois, Justin at JPC, Adam at ST Motorsports, Mike at powerhouse, derrek at D'agostino, chuck at che DON'T KNOW HOW TO INSTALL GEARS? Cause all of these guys will tell you the motives are bad. Your experience is NOT on S197's and I hate to break it to you but they are just a little bit different than your cars.

FYI I'm at 2900 rpms with 4.10's @ 80 mph. You would likely see 3000 rpm @ 80 with 4.30's.
what does they generation of cars have to do with the kind of gears? my uncle has motives in his maro and there is no whine, another friend of mine has em in his jeep, once again no whine,

oh and two, with a TR-3650 tranny which has an 5th gear ratio of .68 and a stock 21.7 inch tire are turning 2900 rpms? are you an auto? cause if you are, then the 5th gear ratio is .75 which is a bit more believable,

oh and FYI, trannys from 2001.5 5 speeds are the same for the SN_95 and S197s
Old 07-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Twister086
2nd Gear Member

does anyone know What the part number on the updated frpp 4.10 gearset is. im calling in the order this week.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:27 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

http://mustangtuning.com/fopege4ra.html gears

http://mustangtuning.com/rearendrebuild.html bering kit

"mustangboards" - 6% off cupon
Old 08-01-2006, 03:39 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

the only reason gears whine is if they are installed incorrectly. period, end of story, and if its a manual i would seriously look at getting 4.30s with the t3650 tranny, you will be at 2800 rpms at 80 mph and loose liek 3 mpg
[sm=bs.gif]BS - Some of the top installers in the country get whine with the motives. So you're saying Jim & Jim Jr. at JDM, Mike at livernois, Justin at JPC, Adam at ST Motorsports, Mike at powerhouse, derrek at D'agostino, chuck at che DON'T KNOW HOW TO INSTALL GEARS? Cause all of these guys will tell you the motives are bad. Your experience is NOT on S197's and I hate to break it to you but they are just a little bit different than your cars.

FYI I'm at 2900 rpms with 4.10's @ 80 mph. You would likely see 3000 rpm @ 80 with 4.30's.
what does they generation of cars have to do with the kind of gears? my uncle has motives in his maro and there is no whine, another friend of mine has em in his jeep, once again no whine,

oh and two, with a TR-3650 tranny which has an 5th gear ratio of .68 and a stock 21.7 inch tire are turning 2900 rpms? are you an auto? cause if you are, then the 5th gear ratio is .75 which is a bit more believable,

oh and FYI, trannys from 2001.5 5 speeds are the same for the SN_95 and S197s
I've read many of your posts for quite a while and I know you know your sheet so don't take it the wrong way but what you have to realize is that although the physical gears may not have changed - everything in these rear ends has. For example, I recently replaced the 31 spline stock axels for moser 31 spline axels and I lost my abs. Why - cause they are the exact same 31 spline axels? The reason was because the stock 31 spline axles are actually a little differrent and beefier on the ends than previous. The ring gearing that mounts for the ABS would not fit no way no how on the mosers. I was shocked to say the least. The posi differential is also a little different and mis-sized. In theory you are right but it is my guess that FRRP gears have a slightly different shim/size/cut, etc, etc. than the motives and work better for this rear end. Motives have worked great on many cars for years but for some reason they do whine on the S197. I wish I could give you a reason why but I honestly can't. It's just guesswork on my part to explain the weird phenomenon.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:19 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Well, I will throw my 2 cents in. Had 4:10 Motives and they whined no matter what. They were checked and rechecked. Put FRPP gears in a week later and surprise! No more whine. FRPP now uses an updated cnc single pass cut process and also does a backcut on the pinion gear to reduce whine. The new ones are designated by an A after the part number. If you get the FRPP gears with the M designation they will likely whine. Why? Because they are made for Ford by - Guess who! - Motive!

Oh yea, as for the rpm change, I was at 2500 at 80 with the factory 3:55's and now at 2800 at 80 mph with the 4:10's and the acceleration is greatly improved. 5th gear is now much more useful.

Quick Reply: Motive Gear or FRPP 4.10's