Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

First time at track with Bamachips tune....UPDATED

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 04:32 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default First time at track with Bamachips tune....UPDATED

Please don't move this thread to the street strip section, it has more to do with why it ran the way it did than it does with bragging about numbers.

Well, how do I start this, it was friggin hot out today (it's 1:26am and it's still 86 degrees and almost 90% humidity!!) so everybody was off a bit, but having run the car in the heat before with similar humidity and air quality where I ran a 13.55 and in good weather I've run a best of 13.3.

Tonight I ripped off 3 straight 13.9's...... WOW was all I could think.... it felt flat up on the top end and my mph showed it, a best with the Bamachips tune of 102.3 mph. My best run with Bamachips 93 tune was 13.81@102.31.... ugh

So, I switched to the Demolet 93 tune and cracked off a 13.61@103.36 which still sucks but is easier to handle than 13.8's and 13.9's....

Now it must be said that driveability is much better with the Bamachips tune, heck mpg is improved as well however the Demolet tune performs best where it count's in the numbers.... I'll be frigged how to write this to Doug.....

Doug told me his race tune doesn't make anymore power, it just changes throttle response which the car has gobs of, so I'll write him and maybe call him tomorrow morning to see what could be up.

I did meet a lot of great people driving Mustang's, hopefully they are members here, they couldn't believe I was almost a half second off, and for most of the day, I was.....
Old 07-29-2006, 10:36 AM
ScreamingYellow
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: First time at track with Bamachips tune....wasn't very good

You should go get both dyno tuned to see what's up. I know with Doug's tune I shift a bit earlier (right on 6k rpms) vs. my other tune. running it up to 6500 rpms makes it feel like it's falling on its face.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:33 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ScreamingYellow
You should go get both dyno tuned to see what's up. I know with Doug's tune I shift a bit earlier (right on 6k rpms) vs. my other tune. running it up to 6500 rpms makes it feel like it's falling on its face.
Actually with his tune the car pulls to 6500 hard, it was at the top of third that it felt flat. I did try backing off to 6k and ran a 13.98 so shifting early wasn't going to help, I spoke to Doug about that when I got the tune and his recommendation was 6500 as well.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:29 PM
ScreamingYellow
2nd Gear Member

Ask Doug about his Drag tune. Race tune is more for road course racing, hence the amazing throttle response. Not sure on the specifics of the Drag tune, but I know in my SCT I have Perf. Tune, Race Tune, and Drag Tune.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:52 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Ask Doug about his Drag tune. Race tune is more for road course racing, hence the amazing throttle response. Not sure on the specifics of the Drag tune, but I know in my SCT I have Perf. Tune, Race Tune, and Drag Tune.
Per him the only difference between his race 93 tune and his 93 tune is throttle response so the race tune won't help. He needs to find out why top end is so weak with his tune vs the Demolet tune, there is a difference you can feel and the numbers at the track bear it out. If you're right and he makes road course tunes I need to get a refund and buy a tune for drag racing.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:03 AM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

I thought the race tune was for the drag tune, I just got my race tune from Doug but have not loaded it yet. This post is disappointing I was under the impression it would improve my 1/4 mile time. There was a post sometime back that stated the Bamachips race tune was quite rich and they leaned it out some and it helped the rwhp on the dyno. I didn't know there was a drag tune also.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:24 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cfr865

I thought the race tune was for the drag tune, I just got my race tune from Doug but have not loaded it yet. This post is disappointing I was under the impression it would improve my 1/4 mile time. There was a post sometime back that stated the Bamachips race tune was quite rich and they leaned it out some and it helped the rwhp on the dyno. I didn't know there was a drag tune also.
He sells it as his "race tune" but he told me that it's no different power wise from his regular 93 octane tune. The only difference is throttle response as screamigyellow mentioned this was for road racing which Doug didn't say.

Either way, I'm happy with the throttle response but very unhappy with the performance at the drag strip. I haven't heard back from Doug yet so we'll see what he says.

cfr865,

My best run so far is a 13.34@104.86 and that was with the Demolet tune that came with my Tunable Induction CAI and also slightly better weather. My best run with the Bamachips tune was 13.81@102.31, take a few tenths off for weather and it's only a 13.6, the Demolet tune last night went 13.6 so take the same time off for the weather and it's a 13.4, no matter how you cut it the Demolet tune is coming out on top.

I bought his tune with the hopes I would best the Demolet runs by a tenth and 1 to 1.5 mph.... the car felt like it did stock on the top end...... ugh...
Old 07-30-2006, 03:34 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Folks, is it possible as some people have mentioned that unplugging the battery after driving to the track would reset the PCM's learned driving habits since driving to the track is normal and going for MPG, not racing?

Please, don't respond with guesses, if you know the SpanishOak and how it responds to this kind of quick reset then respond. Guesses don't help.

While I don't think it would be the case, mostly because of the times I've run fresh off the street but heck I'll try almost anything.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:23 AM
ScreamingYellow
2nd Gear Member

My theories about race tunes and drag tunes is only a guess. Makes sense to me, but it did not come from doug's mouth. just me using deductive reasoning.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:46 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

My theories about race tunes and drag tunes is only a guess. Makes sense to me, but it did not come from doug's mouth. just me using deductive reasoning.
Edit, now that I've read it, ops....

Quick Reply: First time at track with Bamachips tune....UPDATED