Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cams for a 2006

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:26 AM
ScreamingYellow
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cams for a 2006

ORIGINAL: 05SDI

Ok I'll throw my $.02 in on this one!

Ease up on the guy! Face it, there really isn't all that much cam info on our 3V 4.6 engines. Sure one can call each cam manufactuer and hear their claims to HP/torque. But we all know those conversations are a little bit inflated.
Seems to me the guy came in here and asked his question because usually on a forum like this there are a few members that have had personal experience with about any question one could think to ask. Look how many 05/06 superchaged 4.6s there are on this forum. I would have never attempted installing my Saleen S/C without forms like this one and others to field questions and read what others that have done the same thing have to say. I know WAY more people that have added a S/C to our 3V 4.6 then anyone that has done a cam swap on these same engines. Now he wasn't asking, 'How do I do a cam swap?" He was asking for real world experiences from the FEW that have tried different cams in these engines. Not really an odd question for a shop at all. Given the amount of info that is truly avalible. Now, if he would have been asking about a 302 with 10:1 compression and blah blah valves and this and that. Well that info is common knowledge to many shops and I would be skeptical of a shop asking about those engines needing a good cam. But again not to many people swapping cams in our cars. If so do tell ...... How can I reach the elusive 500 hp with my current set up with changing cams alone? (only need 20-25 hp) 05SDI
I'm with you 100%. Here is my explanation of why what he did is ok: I own a software development company and a customer comes to me and asks me to write him a program in Java. I tell the customer that I personally feel they are better off having the program written in a different language that will better achieve his desired results. Customer says no way, Java is the future and I want the future! I say ok, give the customer what they want... problem is I have never programmed in Java. Well... as all you programmers out there know, it's not about syntax but about algorithms, i.e. how to solve the problem and get the software to do what you want. So I go out to the forums and tell the users I know I need to do this, I understand how it works and how to accomplish my goal, but what is the best syntax for writing this in Java?

The man obviously knows how to install CAMS forward and backwards, he is just looking for real world experiences rather than fluff from the manufactures. He knows we will be the first to bash a bad product.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:07 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ScreamingYellow
I'm with you 100%. Here is my explanation of why what he did is ok:
IMHO - I don't think what he did was wrong or unethical at all, I think it was Faux Pas - as I said, it was a matter of "maintaining the illusion" and I am serious about that...

Just as you describe with your software company I have often scoured the internet for info myself - though, again as I pointed out - that process in my professional work usually proceeds like:
1. check personal notes/books or trusted co-workers if available
2. search news groups
3. experiment with information gathered from both/either of the above until I am convinced it is correct (if required - some things are just data points).

I don't think I have ever, on billable time, posted a "hey guys, how do I XYZ" question...

It just never occured to me. If the info wasn't in 1 or more of the thousands of posts already it is likely more specialized knowlege and generally requires something more than just "asking" everyone. You need to find the "right" person.

The value I am adding as a professional over "searching the internet" is that I do combine what I read with what I know to be sure that it isn't garbage information...

So, there isn't any crime in using the information - I said it plainly in my post that the problem was largely one of presentation...

I do hope he recognizes that there are at least as many of us who are interested in sharing this info and hearing what happens regardless of the flame fest... There isn't a lot of data on cams for these motors and what little there is, has not been good - so if anyone does find the secret sauce to make it worth while, I'd like to know that...
Old 08-10-2006, 03:58 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ScreamingYellow

ORIGINAL: 05SDI

Ok I'll throw my $.02 in on this one!

Ease up on the guy! Face it, there really isn't all that much cam info on our 3V 4.6 engines. Sure one can call each cam manufactuer and hear their claims to HP/torque. But we all know those conversations are a little bit inflated.
Seems to me the guy came in here and asked his question because usually on a forum like this there are a few members that have had personal experience with about any question one could think to ask. Look how many 05/06 superchaged 4.6s there are on this forum. I would have never attempted installing my Saleen S/C without forms like this one and others to field questions and read what others that have done the same thing have to say. I know WAY more people that have added a S/C to our 3V 4.6 then anyone that has done a cam swap on these same engines. Now he wasn't asking, 'How do I do a cam swap?" He was asking for real world experiences from the FEW that have tried different cams in these engines. Not really an odd question for a shop at all. Given the amount of info that is truly avalible. Now, if he would have been asking about a 302 with 10:1 compression and blah blah valves and this and that. Well that info is common knowledge to many shops and I would be skeptical of a shop asking about those engines needing a good cam. But again not to many people swapping cams in our cars. If so do tell ...... How can I reach the elusive 500 hp with my current set up with changing cams alone? (only need 20-25 hp) 05SDI
I'm with you 100%. Here is my explanation of why what he did is ok: I own a software development company and a customer comes to me and asks me to write him a program in Java. I tell the customer that I personally feel they are better off having the program written in a different language that will better achieve his desired results. Customer says no way, Java is the future and I want the future! I say ok, give the customer what they want... problem is I have never programmed in Java. Well... as all you programmers out there know, it's not about syntax but about algorithms, i.e. how to solve the problem and get the software to do what you want. So I go out to the forums and tell the users I know I need to do this, I understand how it works and how to accomplish my goal, but what is the best syntax for writing this in Java?

The man obviously knows how to install CAMS forward and backwards, he is just looking for real world experiences rather than fluff from the manufactures. He knows we will be the first to bash a bad product.
As a fellow software programmer I have to say you hit the nail on the head with that analogy. I'd certainly prefer to have the guy researching the subject first rather than slapping in the first cams he finds, and realizing they don't make crap for power, but still charging me a couple grand for the effort.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:11 PM
XLeatherNeck
1st Gear Member

I don't agree, he came into a public forum as a professional mechanic asking for CAM advice, you don't think that's ignorant and a little scary? Personally I wouldn't believe what ever he posts because why? He's new here and this is the internet, where everybody run 9's and a tune gets you 250 hp.
So your saying a professional mechanic has no business asking questions in a public forum? Hogwash. This forum is about sharing knowledge and experiences, not bashing someone for daring to ask a question. Now if he was being an a$$ that would be different.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Jeremy@JnJPerformanc

Takes alot more then some bad words and dissing to scare me off. I fully understood what I was asking when I asked the question and knew I would get some people that would bash me for asking. However this is where I feel I can seperate myself from other's. For example.... Lets say I had already called Comp and talked to them which I did. They said X cam's would be your best best. Then I posted this on here and had quite a few people tell me X cam's sucks to get cam's instead as they are good for an additional 10 HP and have better mid range power as well.
Now I would have goten and extra 10 HP for my customer just by asking some people a question.
To me I will gladly look like a fool to come out on top.
Comp makes the cam but at the end the user can sometimes provide more info then comp about the performance. Just call then and 4 out of 5 times you will talk to someone that is just reading info out of a book. That person's real life experience is slim to none.

As for myself I am not a installer. I am a parts guy. I work on my own cars and thats it. I rent a space from a damn good installer/tuner and we help eachother out as much as possible. He dosen't normally have time to research and order parts and that is where I can sometimes make the difference.
I wouldn't even attempt to install the cam's myself as it's not something I am good at and would take more time then it's worth.
We have one other very talented installer in the back that came over from another shop about 1 1/2 years ago. He is the one that built Mike Freeman's car the first time, and his car is at the shop again becoming a turbo car.

Anyways it dosen't matter to much, if your around here you know the work this shop put's out and the great rep we have. Our worst part is time.
You guys can hate me because I am new or not believe anything I say but feel free to visit one day and I will gladly buy any of you lunch.
In the end my question on here I feel was a good one to ask. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a better option then the one comp gave me.
Thanks to all and I will still post before and after results once were all finished and tuned on the DynoJet.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I'd recommending swapping the heads before you swapped the cams. I don't have any numbers but I'm sure with some reworked heads you will be able to pick up some decent power. He's not going to get 100+ HP from either straight out. Maybe with both of them combined and some tuning he could get close.

Although, a more agrressive cam would please my butt hairs as they tingle as I lope at idle... but yeah...
Old 08-10-2006, 08:51 PM
bunit9685
1st Gear Member

I guess people have just forgotten how to read because I specifically said I wasnt bashing you so you dont need to get all defensive, just letting you know what I think and why I think it's wrong. If I was bashing you there would be name calling and what not.

Where do you work?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Jeremy@JnJPerformanc

I am not sure who you are talking to Bunit.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:51 PM
bunit9685
1st Gear Member

You.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:07 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jeremy@JnJPerformanc

Takes alot more then some bad words and dissing to scare me off. I fully understood what I was asking when I asked the question and knew I would get some people that would bash me for asking. However this is where I feel I can seperate myself from other's. For example.... Lets say I had already called Comp and talked to them which I did. They said X cam's would be your best best. Then I posted this on here and had quite a few people tell me X cam's sucks to get cam's instead as they are good for an additional 10 HP and have better mid range power as well.
Now I would have goten and extra 10 HP for my customer just by asking some people a question.
To me I will gladly look like a fool to come out on top.
Comp makes the cam but at the end the user can sometimes provide more info then comp about the performance. Just call then and 4 out of 5 times you will talk to someone that is just reading info out of a book. That person's real life experience is slim to none.

As for myself I am not a installer. I am a parts guy. I work on my own cars and thats it. I rent a space from a damn good installer/tuner and we help eachother out as much as possible. He dosen't normally have time to research and order parts and that is where I can sometimes make the difference.
I wouldn't even attempt to install the cam's myself as it's not something I am good at and would take more time then it's worth.
We have one other very talented installer in the back that came over from another shop about 1 1/2 years ago. He is the one that built Mike Freeman's car the first time, and his car is at the shop again becoming a turbo car.

Anyways it dosen't matter to much, if your around here you know the work this shop put's out and the great rep we have. Our worst part is time.
You guys can hate me because I am new or not believe anything I say but feel free to visit one day and I will gladly buy any of you lunch.
In the end my question on here I feel was a good one to ask. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a better option then the one comp gave me.
Thanks to all and I will still post before and after results once were all finished and tuned on the DynoJet.
You choose to take constructive criticism as negative as possible, a professional takes words that are critical and learns from them and then doesn’t continue the process of looking unprofessional.
Why the sudden, well I spoke with Comp Cams, then came here, now you come off as a liar as well. Sheesh now this is the dissing part, give it up, your shop is looking worse with every post you write.
Your post tells everybody reading how little you know and how few contacts you must have in the field.

Quick Reply: Cams for a 2006