Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Big power with superchargers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 01:28 AM
BAD07GT

Default Big power with superchargers...

I am looking into a supercharger for my car and looked at the Livernois car making 750 horsepower with the Procharger. I also like how the Twin Screws have instant boost. The kenne Bell sparked my interest with their 2.6L Supercharger. Which one would be good for a high horsepower application, like above 600 horsepower? I know i have to have the built bottom end, suspension work, etc and am just wondering which S/C would be best for 600-800 horsepower?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:50 AM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Big power with superchargers...

ORIGINAL: BAD07GT

I am looking into a supercharger for my car and looked at the Livernois car making 750 horsepower with the Procharger. I also like how the Twin Screws have instant boost. The kenne Bell sparked my interest with their 2.6L Supercharger. Which one would be good for a high horsepower application, like above 600 horsepower? I know i have to have the built bottom end, suspension work, etc and am just wondering which S/C would be best for 600-800 horsepower?
Well if you know you need all that "other stuff"....Then if you do a little research on the KB 2.6L it states that the twinscrew is rated at a max engine hp of 950ish, it say that it will make 700+whp

If you are interested in Forced Induction then you ought to look at the Powerhouse Turbo kit. On pumps gas its good for 450whp and with race gas it can deliever 675+rwhp..http://powerhouse411.com/catalog/ind...ndex&cPath=1_5

The procharger would probably get you similar results but I personally havent researched it real good yet
Old 08-10-2006, 02:07 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SweetGT

Well if you know you need all that "other stuff"....Then if you do a little research on the KB 2.6L it states that the twinscrew is rated at a max engine hp of 950ish, it say that it will make 700+whp

If you are interested in Forced Induction then you ought to look at the Powerhouse Turbo kit. On pumps gas its good for 450whp and with race gas it can deliever 675+rwhp..http://powerhouse411.com/catalog/ind...ndex&cPath=1_5

The procharger would probably get you similar results but I personally havent researched it real good yet
The Livernois GT is a monster, but man they threw everything at that car, wish I had that kind of budget!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:13 AM
BAD07GT

LOL i had also noticed that. 80k for them to build you a car just like it, much rather have one of those rather than an Extreme or Steeda Q625 or w/e. I do like the hood they have on it.

As for a supercharger i had read about the 950 horsepower with the KB. Does anyone know of a car that has taken one of the Twin Screws up to high power levels like 600-700 RWHP?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:15 AM
BAD07GT

The turbo is something that i hadn't really considered. Can u build boost off the line with a Manual tranny and not loose it between shifts? What about a twin turbo setup? Would that work better for 600-800 horsepower?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:30 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

The turbo is something that i hadn't really considered. Can u build boost off the line with a Manual tranny and not loose it between shifts? What about a twin turbo setup? Would that work better for 600-800 horsepower?
I would love to hear about heat management with a turbo period and a twin turbo even more so...

I can't go that route because of emissions regs up here (no turbo setup that I know if is CARB approaved and MA piggy-backs on CA regs - though is slightly less rediculous about it).

S/Cs have no issue getting to that power range - add fuel, plugs, pulley and tune - the problem is keeping the motor/trans from melting (no different with turbo)

The thing I have often wondered about is that it is toasty under the hood stock - add 100-150HP with a SC and it gets even toastier...

Turbos now add a lot more hot pipe under the hood... Not flaming turbos, but I don't see an obvious solution to this short of the "remote turbo".
Old 08-10-2006, 07:09 PM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

1Quickshortbus has the "forced entry" car using a PH Turbo and is hitting over 450 rwhp and in talking to him and another member of this site who's been working with him, turbo heat hasn't been a huge issue. I'm working through quotes with someone right now about the PHT kit for my own ride (only 41 days till Stateside baby) and it's my daily driver, so I am certainly concerned about the heat issue.

If I can get specifics from them or just get em to post here ASAP, I will.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:14 PM
macdaddyslomo
2nd Gear Member

Turbo's make more heat , but they also aren't parasitic on the engine. They are more efficient....usually with an intercooler, underhood heat really isnt a problem. I am assuming you are talking about charge temps. I seriously doubt overheating the engine would really become an issue any more so than a supercharger
Old 08-10-2006, 07:19 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

The Procharger F1 is probably the highest rated supercharger for racing hp numbers. But it is a beast to use on the street, only because boost is very high in the RPM range. I would stick with the KB 2.6L if your going to drive it on the street.

Big turbo's are great and will definately net you more power, but again, beyond a certain point, turbos are useless for daily street driving. That's why I would stick with the twin screw.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:25 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: macdaddyslomo
Turbo's make more heat , but they also aren't parasitic on the engine. They are more efficient....usually with an intercooler, underhood heat really isnt a problem. I am assuming you are talking about charge temps. I seriously doubt overheating the engine would really become an issue any more so than a supercharger
Not so much a function of efficiency as it is "where does the heat build up"?

With a twin turbo setup you have 2 red-hot hunks of metal under the hood, full headers ands and something like 6 feet (really rough estimate) of tubing snaking around under the hood...

I was not concerned about the charge temp so much as I am the heat under the hood period... Screws do make lots of heat, but nothing like a turbo turbine...

Quick Reply: Big power with superchargers...