Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Headers!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 01:09 PM
raddle23

Default Headers!

hello all, i just got a new 06 gt... i've added the basics to it so far ( k&n air intake and mufflers) ... i want to add some headers... what h ave you all done and recommend? i hear jba and gibson are good... let me know!
Old 08-18-2006, 01:12 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Headers!

JBA and Bassani as well as Kooks and a few others are great. I think there is a group buy on american Racing headers going on right now. I have Hooker's with the high temp coating, which are probably the best for the money at <$700.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:47 PM
raddle23

cool, thanks for the advice... now, where did you purchase the hook's?? i've looked online at ebay and such. i know this forum has a lot of sponsor's , so should i check em out there? did you get shorty's or longtube? how did it affect your performance
Old 08-18-2006, 03:07 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raddle23

cool, thanks for the advice... now, where did you purchase the hook's?? i've looked online at ebay and such. i know this forum has a lot of sponsor's , so should i check em out there? did you get shorty's or longtube? how did it affect your performance
Ive heard Dynatech has some of the best out right now. The Kooks and JBAs are supposed to be really good too. When I asked a performance shop about this theyw anted to stick me with a set of Bassanis but I wasnt sure how good they were since they were relatively new and I hadnt heard anything on them. I turned down the shop and decided to wait for a little while and do some more research. In the end Ill probably end up going with the JBAs or Dynatechs. Im going to talk to a different shop here in another couple weeks and see what they say.

One thing everyone will agree on is that if youre going to do headers, do LONGTUBES! Never, ever, ever do shortys on this car. They are almost as expensive, and only provide 3-5 HP where as longtubes will give you anywhere from 18-25.

As far as where to get them, you can either buy them offline from any of the site sponsors or from ebay or wherever you can find them or you can check local performance shops, many of them are authorized dealers of a specific brand and while they may be biased towards that brand, they SHOULD have some dyno results from before/after so you can get some real hp numbers.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:34 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Kooks are one of the main recommended headers and there is a group buy going on now. I was trying to decide between the Kooks and the American Racing headers and finally decided on the Kooks based on the number of people using them with great results.

Earl
Old 08-18-2006, 08:15 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

The Hooker headers are available from Summit Racing.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:43 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

The all inclusive Dynatech setup is awesome.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:02 AM
lynwood78
3rd Gear Member

Anyone have info on JBA Cat4ward Headers http://www.jbaheaders.com/images/pro...s/1675Sbig.jpg Does anyone have them? Gains in HP?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:23 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Let there be no mistake, all headers are not created equal. I tried American Racing Headers off road headers but they were way to loud for my personal taste. For the track they'd be great but for the street I highly recommend their catted system. I recently visited American Racing Headers shop in Long Island to have my X pipe cut and cats welded on. While there I watched them custom fabricate headers and was blown away with the quality and precision involved in the process. One example is the type of high flow cats they choose to use. The cats ARH uses are literally twice as expensive as those used by Dynatech and other manufacturers. Exhaust flowing through their cats travel through a series of 200 holes/inch versus 300 holes/inch for less expensive cats. The larger diameter holes allow much better flow with less restriction. ARH could use the cheaper cats if they wanted to but they insist on using only the best materials in their headers. The performance gains I feel with their 1.75" diameter primary headers and catted X pipe are outstanding and they sound awesome. At 90 mph in top gear my car just wants to take off and keep pulling now where there was little power on hand before. I still have to get my car dynotuned but I can only imagine how much more power will be on hand afterwards.
There are many players in the header market. If you want to go cheap just for the sake of being able to say you have long tube headers then this product is not for you. If you want the best of the best for your car then do yourself a favor and give these guys a shout. Contact info is www.AmericanRacingHeaders.com or give Nick a call at 631-608-1986. Believe me, you'll be happy you did. Like anything else, you get what you pay for.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lynwood78

Anyone have info on JBA Cat4ward Headers http://www.jbaheaders.com/images/pro...s/1675Sbig.jpg Does anyone have them? Gains in HP?

Those are the only headers I know of that are CARB legal.

Quick Reply: Headers!