Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Shifter brace? Anyone using one.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 05:07 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default Shifter brace? Anyone using one.

Found this shifter brace for the 05+ stangs. Supposed to get rid of shifter flexing. I am assuming to help the 2-3 fast shifting problem we have at high RPM's?

And thoughts or expirience with it?

http://secure-order-area.net/paulshp...=9055050_29399
Old 08-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Shifter brace? Anyone using one.

I dont see how bracing the shifter would fix the problem since it is cause by the engine torquing over and the shifter being attached to the body. It seems if the shifter was made even more ridged to the body it would make the problem worse since the shifter can not be made ridged enought to keep the motor from torqueing over. I installed Torque Limiters and so far the problem has completly gone away. I have not got a chance to test it on the drag strip yet but I have performed several WOT 2-3 shifts with no problems now. Suprisingly enough ride qualty did not change at all.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:57 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Interesting Riven. I just did the G-trac brace last week. It looks like your bar mounts in the same place. Does it bolt to the factory tabs on the K-frame or to the a-arm bolts like the g-trac?

I still dont understand why the heck ford mounted the shifter to the body and the trans. It is clearly a torque problem, at low engine speeds I can hit third very quickly. Crank it to 6300-6500 and throw a fast shift, once in a while it will just not engage. Ticks me off.

I consider myself to be a pretty damn good stick driver and never had problems shifting other cars. But the 2-3 shift on this car is getting to me. Doesent happen all the time either, like 1 out of 8 times it will slow me down.

I would change the shifter out for something else. But I am not convinced that is the problem. And the shifter feels very nice to me and I dont like super short throws. Just that damn 2-3 shift that annoys me.

Well, that and the fact that when any type of beverage is in the cup holder, you have to shape your arm into a U to reach the shifter without hitting the cup. Yet another reason cup holders do not belong in cars I guess. Thank god I dont usually use the cup holder.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

The installation instructions for the K member brace can be found HERE. It mounts to the K member using the inboard most A Arm bolts. I beleive this is the same bolt the G-trac uses. Then the torque limiters mount to the K member brace on one end and to the block on the other. The torque limiters come with either 2 rod ends or 1 rod end 1 poly end.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

This is the 1st car I have had trouble shiftin fast aswell. And like you It wasnt everytime. That said I have not given it enough testing to say it is for sure 100% fixed. Since I did not encounter this problem everytime, It is possible I have just not hit a bad shift yet. I really dont think so though. It feels way smoother now.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

This looks like a very nice setup. My G-Trac might be for sale soon. I feel basically the same way Classj does, while it could be shorter the shift length doesn't really bother me it the 2-3 upshift. I've only messed it up once but thats all it takes to nuke a motor. I preffer smoothness over shortness.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Well I wanted shorter also. I put in the saleen block and the steeda bushing in then this brace/torque limiters. There is still some testing to do but the car shifts like a dream now. The saleen block can be very notchy if installed to tight with no grease. It you read the link above there is a post I made near the bottom on how I fixed mine. THe combination of the block (installed just right) the bushing and this brace had made me very happy. I will be testing the 2-3 shift this week and by the end of the week I will know for sure whether this is completly fixed my 2-3 shift. (I test it on the on ramp so by the end of the week I will have quite a few 2-3 tests [sm=badbadbad.gif])

Old 08-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Keep us posted!!
Old 08-21-2006, 12:10 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

+1

I have missed third twice in the 4 months I have had the car. Both times I just came up with the clutch before I realized that the shifter didnt find its way into third and got blocked or stopped or something.

Thank god I dont usually powershift third in this car especially, so I was backed off the throttle a bit and let out quickly. But the tach hit 6500-6700 or so for a millisecond. Both times I was just fuming mad. Now I almost force myself to slow my left leg down a bit and make sure I am in third before getting back on it. Then other times when I am just not thinking about it I can hit third perfectly. But sometimes, when I am not focused on slowing the shift down, I will try to hammer third and get blocked.

I just got back from vacation and havent driven the stang for 5 days or so. I am looking forward to some on ramp fun as well. LOL
Old 08-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I will make daily reports on THIS thread. That way it all gets put in one place. I should get 2 or 3 chances to get on it hard each day. My fingers are crossed but I really think it will be fixed. I dont see anyway these will allow it to torque over to far. If it does I guess I will just go with 2 rod ends.

Quick Reply: Shifter brace? Anyone using one.