Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cai and tune, really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cai and tune, really worth it?

45 years old and the brenspeed 93 octane tune is gonna rock your world.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:19 AM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

I just got my 07 last week and was wondering what would be the minimum amount of miles you should put on your car before doing the CAI and tune? I just want to make sure its broken in properly before i would go and install a different tune other than factory.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:49 AM
3v4.6l
1st Gear Member

I got the c&l street cai and tune from brenspeed and it made a huge difference, I use 91 octane tune because I can't get 93 octane gas here, I wish I could find 93 octane gas so I could try the 93 octane tune. I have an auto and get rubber in 2nd and 3rd gear now, it's awesome.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:21 AM
ticklemonster

Ok, you all talked me into it, but let me ask you this, I read in another thread that many felt the cold air kit may not have been worth the money and that most all of the gains come from the tune itself. I would like the "growl" that comes with the CAI though.
Even though I can aford the $560 I must admit I feel a little guilty about spending that much money.

Tickle
Old 08-27-2006, 11:50 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ticklemonster

Ok, you all talked me into it, but let me ask you this, I read in another thread that many felt the cold air kit may not have been worth the money and that most all of the gains come from the tune itself. I would like the "growl" that comes with the CAI though.
Even though I can aford the $560 I must admit I feel a little guilty about spending that much money.

Tickle
Actually, most of the power gain comes from the CAI.
According to the following CAI comparison, the C&L street intake made a total of 25 rwhp(15 rwhp from the CAI and 10 rwhp from the tune):
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ake/index.html
Old 08-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

It looks like their test showed they are getting somewhere around 2hp – 5hp with a CAI, if that. I have read in many articles that a typical good tune on the Mustang, no CAI added, will generally net around 20rwhp gain.

There is just no way I’m going to believe for a minute that a CAI can come close to adding power like a good tune can. No way will it add more power or even the same amount of power as a good tune.

The intake and exhaust on a Mustang GT is very good so good that adding exhaust usually nets you very little to nothing in horsepower and I just can not believe for a moment that Ford put an intake on that is so restrictive you can gain over 5% in hp by simply bolting on a CAI. It that were true Ford would have designed it to be more efficient because it would have increased the fuel mileage, not much, but even a little is a selling point.

Something that would be very interesting and completely change my mind on CAI being a waste of money other then for looks would be to know what cfm is required to make 350hp at the crank for the 05 – 07 Mustang GT’S. Then I would like to know what the stock intake is rated at or capable of per cfm’s.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:26 PM
ticklemonster

Thanks for taking the time to post that link. Looks like I will be placing my order for both tonight!

Tickle
Old 08-27-2006, 04:13 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sonic Boom NH

It looks like their test showed they are getting somewhere around 2hp – 5hp with a CAI, if that.
If you're referring to the Mustang 5.0 'Cold Score' link which I included in my last post, then please explain how you calculated your numbers.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:14 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ticklemonster

Thanks for taking the time to post that link. Looks like I will be placing my order for both tonight!

Tickle
You're welcome. You will not be disappointed.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:18 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sonic Boom NH

I have read in many articles that a typical good tune on the Mustang, no CAI added, will generally net around 20rwhp gain.
You have my curiosity peaked. Do you have the links to those articles?

Quick Reply: Cai and tune, really worth it?