Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

I'm Dumb

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:23 PM
TheNewMustangOwner

Default I'm Dumb

Hey howz it everyone i am a very happy 17 year old guy with a brand new black Mustang GT, And i want to start learning bout the different stuff i can do to My mustang to make it fast, Meaner, and just plain out right nasty. I want to do most the stuff my self and i wanna start with learning bout the exaust, can someone just give me a little detail on what gives the most bang for the buck, AND whats the difference between the H piping and stuff and just how much extra horeses i might beable to get out of it with a CAI and a Tuner
Thanks for the help everyone
Old 08-29-2006, 03:25 AM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I'm Dumb

Congrats, not sure how you talked your parents into getting you that car...I would just be worried all the time...be safe, be responsible.

Now that we got that out of the way:

You need to get a subsrciption to "Mustang's and Fast Fords" and get busy reading...they are great mag's.

The exhaust on these cars are already free flowing, there is not much to be gained as far as $ to hrspwr goes...the place where you will pick up the most bang for your buck (as far as exhaust goes) is in the h-pipe...if you get an hi-flow or an offroad you will pick up 8-12 hrspwr just depending...I wouldn't deal with the headers until you have a need, like forced induction ie: a superchager. The axle back which is the pipes that run from your axle's to the pipe are a purley sound pleasing mod...if you change them out you won't pick up anything really maybe 1-2 hrspwr depending...

For the money you need the CAI (cold air intake) and the tuner...your choice really on both but SCT seems to be the default choice of most people...the CAI run pretty much neck to neck...this mod will be the best bang for the buck.

Other than that, start saving for the supercharger, IMO the procharger is the way to go...although I have been leaning toward a roots style (Kenny Bell, Whipple, etc)

P.S. As far as the hrspwr from the CAI and tune you can expect 30 + at the rear...just depending on the tune...personally I am going with an 87 tune, b/c I won't pay for the 93 octane.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:41 AM
Cindy
4th Gear Member

Congratulations and Welcome to the Forum!
Old 08-29-2006, 04:50 AM
BeachStang04
4th Gear Member

nevermind
Old 08-29-2006, 04:56 AM
TheNewMustangOwner

Thanks, and the talking my parents into the GT started when i convinced them i would pay for the car and insurence which i know is going to be Hell, but thanks for welcoming me, i have me friend that pretty much lives with me and i have him to thank for the huge dent in my wallet, but i have to say i am happy with the decision this is going to be my "fun car' for a long time hopefully. However i do have a question on the supercharger, is it possible on the gt models to put a S/C on without getting a new hood or is a new hood going to be needed since their is probably not enough space between the egine and hood?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:21 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

All the supercharged fit under the hood(The Saleen sometimes need some drop-down motor mounts). Get ready to spend 5-6K on a supercharger if you want one.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:39 PM
TheNewMustangOwner

Well i have the car for a long time now, so i am just going to take my time with it doing stuff slowly and making sure i don't mess up my car. Right now while i have little money, so i am going to get cheaper stuff like the CAI and gears. Thanks for the info all.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:54 PM
BeachStang04
4th Gear Member

Hey hunter and hey everyone, im not real big in the sn197 section due to the fact that i own an 04... but as my buddy stated above he is getting an 06 and i will be helping him with installs and explaining things to him, i dont know all that much about the 06's so i will also be turning to you guys for help, thanks for helping my friend out and getting him started in the right direction, he dosent know much about cars but is slowly starting to pick things up so bare with him!! Just wanted to say thanks fellas and welcome to the site hunter (noob) .....
Old 10-16-2006, 09:59 PM
AntiHeightPunk
1st Gear Member

so you have one or are getting one?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:10 AM
searay2006
2nd Gear Member

Am I lost or what, can someone tell me what this post is about?[:@]

Quick Reply: I'm Dumb