Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

So now you have a Tuner... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

I have a 3015 SCT that was hooked to my Focus ST and/or my 03 F150 at one time. When I sold my ST I flashed my GT with it and with only exhaust the car came alive. Feels really good. Worth the cost at regular price, though I was lucky enough to get mine for virtually nothing.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:20 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Just ordered my SCT tuner from am.com and can't wait to get it. I just installed my frrp stinger axle back and also getting the frrp cai so my baby is going through some changes.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:48 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys I have a question about where you guys store your handheld tuners? I am scheduled to receive my SCT Tuner next week and wanted to know what you guys do with your tuners after installing your tune? Do you keep it in the car in case you have a CEL that you need to check? Or is that a bad idea (I can imagine being broken into and your tuner being stolen permanently leave your car "tuned"). Was just wondering what the general consensus was.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:43 PM
JimC

I keep mine in the car - in case I get a CEL and need to check and clear it is one reason. In my 2006 I had a bag in the trunk that it fit inside and was out of the way. In the 2013 I keep it in the pocket behind the passenger seat. Never had a problem with anyone trying to grab it even with the top down.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:35 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

So what happens if you lose/stolen your tuner when you are not stock? Will you forever be stuck at that tune?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM
roegs
1st Gear Member

I keep my tuner in my car. I've also backed up the stock tune to my PC. If the tuner gets stolen, broken, etc., I have a couple of options. 1- Stay with the existing tune, which is a good option for me. 2 - Purchase another tuner and reload the stock tune onto that tuner. 3 - have the dealer bring me back to the stock tune. The dealer can always load a stock tune based on the VIN etc of my car. Its certainly not cheap to have them do this, but its a viable last resort.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:14 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by roegs
I keep my tuner in my car. I've also backed up the stock tune to my PC. If the tuner gets stolen, broken, etc., I have a couple of options. 1- Stay with the existing tune, which is a good option for me. 2 - Purchase another tuner and reload the stock tune onto that tuner. 3 - have the dealer bring me back to the stock tune. The dealer can always load a stock tune based on the VIN etc of my car. Its certainly not cheap to have them do this, but its a viable last resort.
thanks for the input! I did not know you could backup your stock tune. I get my tuner tomorrow and that makes me feel a lot better about keeping my tuner in the car.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:49 PM
edman49

My 2006 Mustang GT, which just got a set of new plugs (finally), uses the Airaid cai and a Bama tune with the restrictor removed (offroad I guess). The automatic shift points and firmness are racier than stock, and the large maf makes throttle response off idle very very quick. I like it all, but want more! What more can be done tuning-wise beyond where I am now? Can I add more ignition lead somehow? My car never pings, and I do not want my timing to leave an horsepower on the table. Also, can part throttle/closing throttle be leaned out any ?? thank you , edman49
Old 01-14-2014, 02:59 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Lucky you, I'm pinging like a mf'er
Old 02-01-2014, 06:20 PM
BeauandStaci's05GT

Default a question forall you experts out there

i have an 05 gt and i have a sct tuner but my question is can i change my speedometer for the 4.10 gears that im getting ready to install or do i need to get a custom tune just for that mod

Quick Reply: So now you have a Tuner... now what?