Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Lt/catted X first impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:27 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default Lt/catted X first impressions.

Well, the install is over and my first thoughts are....Niceeeeeeeeeee!

Listening to it sit there and run in neutral I knew it would breath better and it does with a slightly different sound. Hard to explain but beafier or something? When inside the car it seems just as it did before, no big change; when I punch it--------->>>>>he he he The car is like HEY, I'M A MUSTANG!!! I could not hear as well inside and was kinda glad it was not loud as a no cats set up because of neighbors and just in general (Maryland has smog so gotta keep cats FYI). I could hear a difference but was like, "sound is not to bad".

BUT WAIT!

I asked the tech to drive it down the block so I could hear it from outside. GOOD GOD! This things sounds great!! Totally different outside then what I hear inside. He did not really get on it like I would, (smart guy since its not his car and I was standing there and all) but I told him to get going a little bit. As he pulled away from the lot and went to 3rd I was all smiles. Cant wait to drive it for a good distance.

Well I drove my truck to check on the Stang and did all the above when I saw it was ready. Back home now and gotta drop the truck off and head back to grab the car. Hope to post some sounds clips later this week with pics. Looks kinda cool seeing the KOOKS plates when looking under the hood.

Did notice that burn off smell in the pipes, I know that will take a bit to go away as its the first time running them.

Ok- back home now and its quite a change when driving after the Headers. I would compare it to the difference between stock and getting your CAI and tune! I got a chance to get on it on the exit ramp, etc to the hwy and mannn oh mannn. It feels like It wants more when you or going flat out and pulling its heart out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(more??--God help me) I wish I could find Mr. Friendly Vet guy from a few post back. Not that I think I can beat a C6 or anything but I bet he will not push his 50/60 grand car as much as I will push mine!!!

Nice Mod!

Old 09-13-2006, 09:07 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Lt/catted X first impressions.

Makes you think it ought to be on a NASCAR track somewhere huh? I know the kooks and the stingers are expensive but they do sound great. For a little ole 281 cubic inches they sure run.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:33 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I gotta get this thing to a dyno and see where I'm at. The closest one to me wont have a free day until the 25th. Gotta wait till then I guess. I just got back in from a jot to the local store. Mannnnn, this speed thing is addictive!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:59 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Yeah but ain't it fun? I'm getting the 4.10's installed the 20th, that should help 3rd and 4th. Only one more mod to do, that's the aluminum driveshaft. Then it's either nitrous or a super-charger. I'm going to hold off on the bottle until I see what the gears and al.driveshaft do for me.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:59 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

I hear ya. And yeah its fun 4 sure! My 4.10's are to go in Tuesday 19th. (if UPS has them here in time) if not they will go another day that he has open. I hope I am not dissapointed in them, I have never driven a stang with 4.10's and have only seen a vid of an 06 with them. I will be pissed if they screw up my hwy driving or something.

On a side not since we have jumped on gears; dont you have to do something to the speedo after the install? I think I heard sompleace that you need to do that?

Post some pics of your ride so we can see what your working with.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:35 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, you have to go into your tuner and select 4.10 and then re-install the tune.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:42 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

On the gears screwing up your highway driving, don't worry. My buddy has the 4.10's and we made a trip to Brenspeed in Aug. to get the Kooks installed, difference in my 3.55's and his 4.10's in gas mileage was exactly 1 mpg. 22.5 vs 23.5. This was driving at 75 and 80 the entire trip. I'll have to get my buddy to help with the picture of my car, not exactly computer literate. Looks an awful lot like yours. Black with the tan interior.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:29 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

I had that same grin on my face when I put my L/T setup on. As for the gears, I have been running the 4:10's for a long time now and still love them. Highway cruising at 80 is no problem and 5th gear is much more useful now.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:38 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

phil- Thanks for the info! I will remember to make the change in the XCAL after the install. I'm happy to hear about the hwy info. I am near the hwy and have to basically get on it to go anyplace, plus thats where you have the most fun at on the hwy! My cruize has always been set to 75.

As for your car, I have never seen another Blk/tan Stang. Thats pretty cool. I know they are out there but every single time I see one it has Black or red leather. I even think I saw one with cloth if I remember correctly. My dealer had 3 Stangs and mine was the only one with the tan. I like it because it really bounces of the black. Well, home sick today, nose and throat are killing me and it is rainy and all so the Stang will not see daylight today. ( no drivee in the raineyy ). One of the times I'm glad I'm the boss, no body to call in sick to!

Musiccity--Yeah, I have to admit they have a feel and sound of there own. Yesterday I went by this guy walking and you should have seen his kneck whip around when he heard me get on it. (Had his back to the street while on his cell.) I saw him in my mirrors, it was priceless. Not much more driving before she will go to sleep for the Winter. (I wonder how may times a car can be wiped down in a garage without even getting dirty? On a side note I was just watching your burn out vid today. I could watch that thing all day.

Take care felles!