Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

4.10 Club-I'm a member. I Got Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 09:12 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default 4.10 Club-I'm a member. I Got Questions???

bump
Old 09-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.10 Club-I'm a member. I Got Questions???

Well first off welcome to the club. You were correct in selecting 4.10 in the XCAL parameters but It couldn't hurt to have someone pace ya to make sure its recalibrated properly. I broke my car in over 500 miles and change my gear oil after break in but I don't think its really necessary since my gears didn't really wear at all over those miles(no metallic shards or chips). If anything it was just to put in some royal purple and I don't know what kinda gear oil the installer used. I haven't had any whine on accel or cruise but I do have the same issue as you do on decel and I was told by two individuals thats it's normal due to the shorter gears. But mine ist really a whine as much as a whoo-whoo-whoo sound. But I'm going to look further into that issue myself. If it gets any worse I may just have my rear-end redone. I used FRPP gears and they are supposed to be the quietest as long as you get the actual FRPP kit and not the motive copies. Hope this helps and have fun.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:43 PM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

A gear whine is not normal, I would get the back lash fixed as fast as you can so you can correct the problem before you break them in and then you'll never get rid of the whine. If they whine now, chances are they'll only get worse. I have never been in a car with a whine that has gone away once it has started. Have you had Ford replace you clutch pack's yet under warrenty? Alot of people that didn't get the tsb fixed will have the same problem as you especially after a gear install. And by the way 4.10's aren't that steep, I have 4.30's in my Foxbody and they are actually just as quiet as the stock gears.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Since its supposed to be a TSB I wonder if ford will still replace the clutch pack or will I be out of pocket? Maybe I'll get someone who will look past the 4.10s but that seems unlikely. I'd be more than happy to slide them a case of beer or two. I may replaced the ring & pinion if it gets any worse but I will look for a different shop. Am I correct in understanding the stock clutch pack require a friction modifier? If so if that something in addition to the gear oil or a is it a different gear oil with the modifier as an additive. I've been in a car with gear whine and my car is nowhere near as bad but I am a bit concerned.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:43 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Timmay!!!---I can pace myself pretty easy here. All you have to do is go 60mph and it is exactly 60 secs from mile marker to mile marker. I will get my wife to pace me afterwards If I dont feel comfortable with those test results. We installed the Royal at the time with modifier. Not to much but non the less it is a whine. To be honest, it does not sound that much different than the normal gear "whine" that I have always had. You know, like when you are in second or what ever gear and you get the rpms up a bit but done shift up but insted let the car slow back down on its own. There is a kinda whine sound for lack of a better term. The only thing it is a little louder than that. This sound was in my stock car and I drove another stang at the dealer today that had the same sound be it a whine or normal mechanical sound. I guess if I thought about it mine is the "wooo, woo sound as well but again it is not loud but I know it was not there before.

05 Ricky--- As for the lash, as mentioned we took it apart a second time and adjusted the lash. All I know is that I double checked at the time to make sure it measured correctly (while standing under the car) I looked and adjusted the lash and marked the spots and confirmed that it was set at a perfect setting. It almost makes me want to go out now while not as many people on the road to listen again. Ricky I did have Ford replace the clutch paks like 2 weeks ago or so. I was getting the uturn groan.BTW that was LOUD when I swung a uturn. I was gonna just change the fluids but my tech guy who I trust said I should get the pks done while under warranty so I did. It fixed the Uturn moan and it never returned. Again, that moan was VERY, VERY loud when I Uturned and even did it when I did a hard turn. This is not remotely close to being that loud. Also the Royal purple says it has the modifier in it but most said to add another bottle anyway, even Brenspeed. I want to run out and take a quick test drive. I will listen for what I heard and when it happens and think if I can live with it or not.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:18 AM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

As far as break in, 200 miles would do the trick, but the gear pattern is basically set after the first few times the rear end get's hot and then cools off. For me, it's a gear, as long as it's set up right there really isn't any reason to break them in, it's not like your seating rings or anything like that. I was at the track launching my car at 6,000 rpm's the same day I installed my 4.30's and still no noise or any problems!
Old 09-29-2006, 01:48 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I just wanted to weigh in and point out that whine from GEARS is a different thing entirely from the TSB regarding the clutch packs.

The clutch pack "squeal" happens only when turning: especially sharp, slow, turns such as u-turns or navigating a parking lot. You won't hear this changing lanes, or while making turns at speed.

Gear whine has nothing to do with turning. Usually, the faster you are going the louder the whine gets, and it often changes pitch as well. I find the sound to be a bit like a "jet engine".

Friction modifier is required for the OEM Ford rear end. Adding extra modifier may help with the clutch pack squeal, but it won't have any effect on whine.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:39 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

It's probably too late now, but here is the CORRECT gear break in procedure for a street car:

Drive the car normally 5 to 10 miles then let it cool for at least 30 minutes. Repeat this at least 5 times.

As everyone has confirmed, once the gears whine, it will not go away.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:18 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

CrazyAl- Yeah I know the Tsb sound is different from the gear whine. I did not have anything else to compare the two sounds; also to say that the TSB sound be it a whine or moan was at least ummmmm, say 4 to 5 times louder. Did not notice the gear whine worst with higher RPM's compared to when I "think" I heard it comming down from 80 mph. I am getting ready to take it out for a quick trip to see again as I did not go back out yesterday. As always thanks for you info.

MBDiagMan--- It was not that many times as you state it should be. They took it out for like 2 miles and turned around and came back before ripping it apart. The second time I went about 4 miles, then went to gas station and then reloaded my tune so it only had maybe 6 minutes cool down. So it was not as nay start up and stops as it should.I am going out now to listen. Maybe the sound will pick up on tape. Hmmm lets seeeee...
Will report back.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:47 PM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

I am not proposing that the whine will go away after the break in period. If it is whining from the get go, it will whine forever. I am only telling you what the breakin period consists of if you want long and healthy, noise free service from your gear and pinion.

Quick Reply: 4.10 Club-I'm a member. I Got Questions???