Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Alum. driveshaft owners.. what did you notice ? and whats my problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 08:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Alum. driveshaft owners.. what did you notice ? and whats my problem ?

Hey! That's where Garfield always mails Odie. Poor stupid Odie.

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

I was in U.A.E. earlier this year and it was a blast. Plus the gas smelled great. I wasn't sure what octanes were there. I was in Abu Dhabi but I didn't get to check out the Dubai which I heard was really nice.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Alum. driveshaft owners.. what did you notice ? and whats my problem ?

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Hey! That's where Garfield always mails Odie. Poor stupid Odie.

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

I was in U.A.E. earlier this year and it was a blast. Plus the gas smelled great. I wasn't sure what octanes were there. I was in Abu Dhabi but I didn't get to check out the Dubai which I heard was really nice.
Odie is one lucky Dog. The women there are gorgeous and the dollar-to-dirham ration is nice to. $100 buck can get you pretty far. I actually saw quite a few S197s there. Made me miss mine while I was there. It also the only place I've ever seen a F430 Ferrari, Rolls-Royce Phantom, and R33 GT-R Skyline all within 10 miles of each other. I lived in vegas for two years and never saw as many exotics as I did in U.A.E. Sorry for getting off topic. [sm=chairshot.gif]
Old 09-29-2006, 09:55 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

I have recently installed the Spyder custom auminum driveshaft and test drove the car for the first time,all i noticed was that it had smoother feeling.

The second time i drove it, and from the start @ 2500 rpm launch i felt the car had a little bit more power ( just in the takeoff )

at night when the engine was cold i warmed my mustang and took it again for a test drive and I felt that the car really had great response in power.

but the problem is when i raced my friend from a stop, he jumps few inches infront and my car still keeps burning rubber although i launch it at 2500 ~2900 rpm and keep playing with throttle to get better traction, while shifting to second we stay together but he pulls slowly away and so on while shifting to 3rd...

now actually i feel smoother driving ... but not faster .. i cant really tell if there is a powergain, could it be my tires ? or something else ? its not my shifting because i used to beat my friend when we were both bone stock..i used to jump infront leaving his bumper near my gt sign on the door...

if its about the tires im runing 35 psi on the bfgoodrich fanblades... (stock tires ) my friend told me that putting nitrogen on the tires are better in the meaning of ( making it a little bit lighter )

and ohh our mods are

ME : custom 95 octane by fred,alumium driveshaft.
HIM: SCT custom tune,JLT2 and a little bit lighter rims than the 05 aluminum ones with 18'

we both own sticks.

I had my PH Aluminum DS installed a couple of weeks ago and the first think I noticed was the car felt lighter. Like.........man........hard to explain........it seemed like the car got up to speed quicker.
I did have the car dyno'd after the install there was a 5 hp rwhp gain and almost 10# torque.

Yeah you need to get the lower LCA's and the extension kit. The stock LCA's bow when you really get on it.

I'm scheduled to go to the track ............for the first time since 1969 on 10/10 to run her down the track a few times. And then its back to the everyday driving back and fourth to work in rush hour traffic.

The way my N/A car is setup I'm expecting to run 13.0 or lower in the 1/4mile.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:16 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

I'm seriously considering the PH driveshaft. Any vibration or increase in noise? How fast have you had it since the install?

Is the difference worth it? Would you do it again if you could? It's a lot money, I want to make sure I won't have any regrets.

Please, report back after your trip to track!
Old 10-01-2006, 08:16 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

saud,
he's probably beating you off the line due to your care spinning more at the hit of the throttle. remember that driveshaft is about 30lbs lighter than the stock one. it frees up about 20-25hp to the wheels all throughout the rpm range. drop the air pressure to 25psi when racing him and it will help some. you will have to practice launching to find the best way for your car. the pinion angle has not changed unless you swapped control arms also. i highly reccomend UCA and LCA's for traction. they help tremendously!
so far no one who has done my conversion has noticed any vibrations but thats not saying it can't happen. ford used that goofy 2piece shaft for a reason???whatever that may have been.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23191/A1E0CC5D196741518087759DF7A0837E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-02-2006, 06:24 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spyder7724

saud,
he's probably beating you off the line due to your care spinning more at the hit of the throttle. remember that driveshaft is about 30lbs lighter than the stock one. it frees up about 20-25hp to the wheels all throughout the rpm range. drop the air pressure to 25psi when racing him and it will help some. you will have to practice launching to find the best way for your car. the pinion angle has not changed unless you swapped control arms also. i highly reccomend UCA and LCA's for traction. they help tremendously!
so far no one who has done my conversion has noticed any vibrations but thats not saying it can't happen. ford used that goofy 2piece shaft for a reason???whatever that may have been.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23191/A1E0CC5D196741518087759DF7A0837E.jpg[/IMG]

UCA and LCA ... im SORRY I think i know the LCA but whats the UCA ? any links ?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:01 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

LCA = Lower control arm
UCA = Upper control arm

As for the pinion angle, it DOES change when you switch to a 1-pc driveshaft. If Powerhouse is stating otherwise, then they are full of it. Think about it: In the stock configuration the car has a 2-pc shaft. The "first" piece runs straight back from the transmission with no real angle to it at all. Then it hits the joint under the floor of the car and angles steeply downward towards the rear diff. On the other hand, an aftermarket 1-pc shaft begins to angle downward towards the diff from the transmission. It's a long, gentle, slope. The position of the transmission and the rear end haven't changed when you install the 1-pc shaft. But it's angle does.

I uploaded a simple sketch that shows how this works.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32957/863BF458A05043D4AC2866CF856D603B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-02-2006, 11:22 AM
GhostPony
2nd Gear Member

Your illustration is much exagerated in how the 2 -piece driveshaft appears. The driveshaft angle may change but the pinion angle does not change when installing a 1-piece driveshaft.
The stock pinion angle would only be changed by installing lowering springs.
This is corrected by installing adjustable control arms.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:39 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GhostPony

Your illustration is much exagerated in how the 2 -piece driveshaft appears. The driveshaft angle may change but the pinion angle does not change when installing a 1-piece driveshaft.
The stock pinion angle would only be changed by installing lowering springs.
This is corrected by installing adjustable control arms.
Yes, the illustration is exaggerated so that it is easy to understand.

But if the driveshaft angle changes then the pinion angle must change also.

Note that "pinion angle" is not the orientation of the pinion itself. It is the DIFFERENCE in angle between the centerline of the pinion and the centerline of the driveshaft. IF you change EITHER the pinion position OR the driveshaft angle, then you change the pinion angle. For example: Pinion angle = Angle of driveshaft - Angle of pinion gear.

When you switch to a 1-pc shaft, the driveshaft angle changes. Therefore the pinion angle MUST also change becasue the pinion angle is based on driveshaft angle. It is simple geometry.

Installing lowering springs changes the pinion angle, true. But swapping to a 1-pc shaft changes it also. In either case it can be corrected with adjustable control arms (upper or lower).
Old 10-02-2006, 01:36 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

hmm.... thanks guys for the explanation about the diffrence of angle in the driveshafts, I guess its time for me to get LCA'S & UCA'S....

i have few questions though, can they easily be seen ? and do they lower the car ? will i really feel a huge diffrence ?

Quick Reply: Alum. driveshaft owners.. what did you notice ? and whats my problem ?