Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Long Tube Headers for 05-07 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:36 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Long Tube Headers for 05-07 GT

I love the Dynatechs. They have a perfect bolt-on fit, they're 100% 304 stainless and they have an especially good collector-to-cat coupling. They use a conical gasket rather thn the traditional flat gasket. This provides a very reliable seal. Their fabrication quality is also top notch.

As for emissions, they passed the Texas emissions test no problems. No check engine lights.

Kooks are also really nice. You can't go wrong with either.

I would avoid the JBAs, they are a poor grade of stainless.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:44 AM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

I read the same thing about the Dynatech's and I think I'm going to go with them. Now I just need to find the best price...lol

thanks again for your input,
George
Old 12-04-2006, 12:09 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I got Hookers. Best bang for the buck at <$700 with the ceramic coating, an you can use the factory h-pipe (no cats).
Old 12-04-2006, 05:59 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

I have the ARH's installed.. There is not a better header.

The dynatechs have caused an engine to blowup when the cat selfdestructed and blocked the exhaust on a mustang
Old 12-04-2006, 06:16 PM
2006GTSC
3rd Gear Member

I have the Kooks Catted Setup on mine. Love em. Sounds great and I might have even noticed a very small gain [8D]
Old 12-04-2006, 07:25 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vsop

I have the ARH's installed.. There is not a better header.

The dynatechs have caused an engine to blowup when the cat selfdestructed and blocked the exhaust on a mustang
I have heard this story, and I have seen the pictures, but I do not belive it. I mean, we know the engine blew and we know that the cat was destroyed. That's incontrivertible. But think about it. How can a cat failing destroy an engine??? That makes no sense. Blocking the exhaust can make a car run poorly, or even stall it out. But it can't blow the motor. (remember the ol potato-in-the-tailpipe gag?)

I belive that the engine blew due to some other reason and the engine blowing destroyed the cat. I have seen engines fail on the dyno. It's not uncommon for a piece of the engine to be ejected from an exhaust port with some serious force. I have seen part of an exhaust valve get shot out of a set of open headers with enough force to penetrate a plywood board. Something like that could easily have been launched down the exhaust port, down the pipe, damaging the cat.

Now, I will admit that nobody knows for certain exactly what happened during this incident. However, having handled numerous sets of headers (for this car and others), I have no doubts about the quality of the Dynatechs. They are top-of-the-line quality, no doubt.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:03 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

Just as a side note my neighbor has JBA's headers and catted X pipe. He put them on drove to the track 2 days later and on the 1st pass blew the cats. I mean the inner honeycomb busted loose and he ended up taking them off and busting them all the way out and put them back on. JBA wouldn't do anything for him and he wasn't about to pay another $400 or so bucs for a new set.

I have to agree with CrazyAl as to the engine stalling or throwing a code or running really really rough. I'm not a mechanic but I know enough to know a blocked cat won't blow an engine but again I'm not a mechanic
Old 12-05-2006, 01:45 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Its because on one side was obstructed under high boost. That left the other 4 cyl's to take up the pressure. Which is the side where 2 rods broke. The side with the blocked cat were fine. And that is how a cat will blow your engine. Either way I would not give Dynatech 2 cents for their cats
Old 12-05-2006, 08:20 AM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

My next comment is not to be taken as you are wrong or anything. I think it was just one of those cases, I mean look at my neighbors, now it didn't blow his engine and he had a supercharger on it. That's the only one I've heard of going bad and same for my neighbor who has JBA's. Both companies I think are very good and it just could have been one faulty part. It happens with just about every thing. I have a 66' mustang and the block was cracked from the factory and I never knew until I stripped it down to redo everything. It's your opinion you you are title to it. I think I'm still going to go with Dynatech headers, but stories like this are very helpfull in trying to find a good product. If there where 20 more stories just like this one then sure I would change my mind.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:07 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I have heard this story, and I have seen the pictures, but I do not belive it. I mean, we know the engine blew and we know that the cat was destroyed. That's incontrivertible. But think about it. How can a cat failing destroy an engine??? That makes no sense. Blocking the exhaust can make a car run poorly, or even stall it out. But it can't blow the motor. (remember the ol potato-in-the-tailpipe gag?)

I belive that the engine blew due to some other reason and the engine blowing destroyed the cat. I have seen engines fail on the dyno. It's not uncommon for a piece of the engine to be ejected from an exhaust port with some serious force. I have seen part of an exhaust valve get shot out of a set of open headers with enough force to penetrate a plywood board. Something like that could easily have been launched down the exhaust port, down the pipe, damaging the cat.

Now, I will admit that nobody knows for certain exactly what happened during this incident. However, having handled numerous sets of headers (for this car and others), I have no doubts about the quality of the Dynatechs. They are top-of-the-line quality, no doubt.
Yea... I am kinda right there with Al on this one. When it happened, it was a plausable story. But time has passed and the story is not nearly as conciveable now as it once was ( in my opinion.. ) especially considering the track record of shop/tuner in question. Not to bad mouth the guy because I am sure he earned his reputation somewhere or he wouldn't have one. And I know he has his koolaide cult that will follow him to the end of the world. But lets be realistic here. How many forced induction cars has he tuned, then had to rebuild because they blew up, then had to put a new clutch in, then had to put an AOD tranny in because they couldn't get the clutch right ? His own car won't even run right. Sorry.. but I kinda see a patter here.

Quick Reply: Long Tube Headers for 05-07 GT