Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Advice about break-in time...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 10:05 PM
06blueovalblueGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Advice about break-in time...?

congrats on your new 07 , i try to make sure i let mine warm up good before i run out on the open road and have read other people say these things were a little cold natured.I to made sure i varied my speed on long runs,but still ran her strong ,but not play "peg the floorboard", i also try not to go just to the store and back, if we go , we go for a good run out in the country and back.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-24-2006, 02:24 AM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

Thanks- that sounds like it makes good sense!
I can't WAIT till it's got more miles on the clock and it'll be time to play "peg the floorboard"....;-)
Old 11-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Haulupki

The engine is broken in before it ever gets to the show room floor.
That is interesting as I have never read, or found, any information on what Ford’s procedure is for breaking the motor in at the factory.

Do you know what procedure they use? How long do they run the motors at different RPM ranges, how much time between cool downs prior to the next start up and cycle of RPM ranges?

If Ford simply starts the motor and runs a routine for 5 minutes or so, or just lets it idle then that is not a “break-in†procedure and thus the motor is not broke in at the factory.

The motor takes a bit to break in and really what you’re concerned about is the piston rings as they take some time to break in and seat correctly. Generally that’s about 500 miles or so. You also, if properly built, have different lubes inside the motor so when it is first cranked over you don’t damage the cam lobes etc. Those lubes get mixed into the oil and I would imagine it would not make the oil the best lubricant you could have for the motor as if you changed the oil with fresh oil after 500 miles or so.

You will NOT hurt the motor babying it for 1,000 miles or so, so long as you vary the RPM’S. The sole purpose of varying the RPM’S is to help seat the piston rings correctly.

Now, you COULD hurt the motor driving it like you stole it the first 1,000 miles or so therefore the choice is really up to you but I can guarantee you the motor is NOT broke in before it sits on the show room floor…

Please don’t take my word for it but rather ask some professional engine builders what their view is on the subject…
Old 11-26-2006, 09:08 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

Thanks so much for your informative and detailed comments. I was really surprised by those folks (including sales manager and service dept. manager) at my Ford dealer who told me that it was already broken in- but maybe they have a "hidden agenda" and want to see me come back for repairs in the future???
I am unfortunately not mechanically inclined at ALL, and know almost nothing about the mechanics of engines- so I really appreciate your patient explanation about the piston rings needing to settle and about that special factory oil/lube mix!
My car's now got about 350 miles on the clock, and I'm keeping her under 3500 r.p.m (while varying the speed) EXCEPT for gunning it almost to redline maybe 2 or at most 3 times each day while passing.
I really baby her when the engine's cold too (NEVER go over 2000 r.p.m. till she's warmed up!), and brake gently too because several folks remarked on how that's also important in order to avoid uneven break-in on the discs.
I love this car SO much that I'd really like to keep it "forever" (or at least until one of us croaks), and that's why I feel it's important to treat her right- and hopefully she'll do the same for me......?
Thanks again!
Old 11-26-2006, 09:44 PM
stangoil
2nd Gear Member

I must have done every thing wrong supercharger was on 1500 km 450hp on dyno 142 mph@5890 rpm. break in like I plan on driving it hard. royal purple at 3000 miles form local ford dealer

[IMG]local://upfiles/52448/F732037C34D94ED68A791C3F2F22D0E6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/52448/BC5085A688DB463985B224BAF3623681.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/52448/3BAA2B5B16AA41CEAD1CD1B65ED34C1E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Haulupki
1st Gear Member

There is no "break in" procedure in the manual because it is already done before you ever get a chance to touch it. I don't know the what is exaclty done, step by step, at the factory. But rest assurred it is done.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:45 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

'nuff said...that's what i do with all my cars, and i always dyno ridiculously high for a stock car...
Old 11-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Haulupki
1st Gear Member

That make complete sense to me. I built a couple chevy smal blocks in my early years. When assembling the cam you must use the breakin or "assembly lube" that is supplied with the new cam. The lube actually has a honning compound in it. When you first turn the engine over, and get it to idle with the timing somewhat close "by ear". You then need to rev that sucker up and hold it for about 30 seconds then let it down and then do it again several times. After that shut it down and then drain your oil and change the filter to remove the assembly lube from the system. Is this what is done at the factory ? I don't know, but, I would not doubt if something very simular to this is done.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:10 PM
randybobr
2nd Gear Member

Its broke in from the factory.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Stormbringer
2nd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure my user guide specifically stated not to drive the vehicle at a single speed for an extended amount of time for the first 500 miles.

Quick Reply: Advice about break-in time...?