Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Dyno Tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 11:17 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dyno Tune

Here is the link to the test from 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords. They did 11 CAIs: http://mustang50magazine.com/techart...ke_comparisons

By the way, this "cold air" or "ram air" claim of the WMS is frankly BS. With pretty much ANY cai, once the car starts moving past about 10 mph, ambient air starts flooding the engine compartment and the intake temps drop way down. I have checked this with a thermocouple thermometer on my car while I was considering going for a true shaker system or an under-the-bumper scoop. It's not worth it. The air temps are OK with a standard CAI. If you don't belive me, just log the intake temp with your tuner. It's not that the WMS doesn't work in this regard...it's just that it doesn't work any better than a standard CAI like a JLT.

As for the "ram air" aspect, I seriously doubt that there is any "pressurization" going on with the WMS kit. And even if there were, it would be small enough that you wouldn't see much of a performance difference, if any at all.

First of all, their "Air Dam" would have to be sealed extremely well against the hood and other parts of the car. Given how much variance there is in the fitting of these parts, and the fact that you can't see any sort of gasket on the kit photos, I find that unlikley.

Second, even if it were perfectly sealed, even the best ram-air systems aren't very effective. I know it's a "buzzword" in the hot-rod crowd. Car guys love stuff like "shaker hoods" or "ram air systems", but truthfully these things are much more "show" than "go". They're just not very effective. Even when designed extremely well, they only provide measureable benefit at very high speeds (100 mph or more). This is fast enough that they are effectively useless for drag racing, autocross, or anything else that most of us are doing. And, even then, the performance gains are small, to the tune of 1-2% power gain or less. In a lot of racing classes where the cars go fast enough that ram-air would work (F1 for example) some teams choose NOT to do it becasue the drag created by the ram-air system typically outweighs the benefits. You can't just stick a forward-facing scoop or filter on a car and expect to get HP from it. The shape of the scoop and the ducting has to be very carefully designed. If you want to learn more about ram-air systems I suggest you read Motorcycle Supercharging, Turbocharging and Nitrous Oxide by Haile (yes, I know it's a motorcycle book, but the discussions apply to any land vehicle with a piston engine), and Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines by Blair (published by SAE).
Old 12-14-2006, 09:25 PM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

CrazyAl, thanks for the info and link. I noticed that the AEM and Steeda CAI were not on this comparison. Also, the CDC shaker and FRPP were not as well. It would have been nice to see how these compared. However, I am still definitely considering the WMS CAI. I like the looks and the link you referred me to shows that the WMS ranked #7 out of 11 in terms of HP gains and #2 out of 11 in terms of LBS of Torque gains. Not bad results if you ask me.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:23 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

I have used the Steeda and SCT on three Stangs....2 C300s and a Roush and have been very impressed with the "felt" gains. Admit that I have yet to dyno them or run at the track but the perceived gains were impressive.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Hey does VMP remove the O2 sensor before the cat? I thought you had something welded to your header pipe to read A/F?

VMP will be doing dynos in Ocala on January 5th, that's the Friday before the Silversprings mustang show. I think I might get my car dynoed.

http://npdlink.com/modules/Silver_Sp...s/SSFORD07.pdf

ORIGINAL: vsop

I would never pay to have any CAI Installed.. even the WMS one.. All it really requires is you to relocate the overflow tank for the rad and swap out the plastic radiator cover.
I installed my C&L in the pits at the Strip. Took 30 minutes. (I have even installed my UD's and CMCV DP's while my car was parked on the street).

After you get the Tune and CAI. Take the car to a dyno that will log your A/F by taking out the O2 sensor infront of the cat. Then you can be sure of the A/F, and if its off, send the graph to the tuner and they will be able to adjust it for free. It cost $50 for 2 runs with A/F on the dyno here.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:29 PM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

Hey jmart96
I started out with a WMSRacing CAI and a totaly stock car, ran fine.Six months later talked with Brent at Brenspeed about a canned tune for the WMS.Ordered an SCT-2 with his 93 OCT tune (5speed trans) and the car ran like a bear right from the start.Never had a problem with that combo.I would highly recommend his tunes and his service.E-mail him with questions and you get answers quickly or call him,always takes the time needed to make you confortable with any choices you make for yor setup. I never dyno's this setup but after installing a Saleen Series VI SC he sent me a new tune for the SC but unforuntinatlyit was way to lean,ended up bring it to a local SCT tumer in CT spent about three hours on the dyno over two sessions first with stock injectors , stock pulley and stock 80 wmsracing MAF.Best run was 3336 rwhp not very good.After 39 lb injectors and 8 lb pulley and 95mm MAF tube from WMSracing dyno's out at 427 rwhp 404 torque.Price for tuning and dyno time was $100.00 hr but that because I was a member of a local Mustang Club.One of the reasons I went with the Saleen is it's a perfect match to the wmsracing CAI and with the SCT-2 I bought the local tuner loaded the tune he created into my SCT tuner. Other than needing to cut wires to extented the plug it's as simple as it gets to install a wms CAI I like the proformcance gains and the looks of the WMS .
Old 12-15-2006, 06:32 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmart69x

CrazyAl, thanks for the info and link. I noticed that the AEM and Steeda CAI were not on this comparison. Also, the CDC shaker and FRPP were not as well. It would have been nice to see how these compared. However, I am still definitely considering the WMS CAI. I like the looks and the link you referred me to shows that the WMS ranked #7 out of 11 in terms of HP gains and #2 out of 11 in terms of LBS of Torque gains. Not bad results if you ask me.

Oh, I don't think the WMS intake is "bad" per se. I just don't think it's the best choice. The other top intakes (C&L and JLT for example) are less expensive, have a simpler install, don't require cutting up your wiring harness, have a larger user base for tuning, and they make more HP. That seems like a pretty simple decision to me. They are just better than the WMS all the way 'round.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:18 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Hey does VMP remove the O2 sensor before the cat? I thought you had something welded to your header pipe to read A/F?

VMP will be doing dynos in Ocala on January 5th, that's the Friday before the Silversprings mustang show. I think I might get my car dynoed.

http://npdlink.com/modules/Silver_Sp...s/SSFORD07.pdf

ORIGINAL: vsop

I would never pay to have any CAI Installed.. even the WMS one.. All it really requires is you to relocate the overflow tank for the rad and swap out the plastic radiator cover.
I installed my C&L in the pits at the Strip. Took 30 minutes. (I have even installed my UD's and CMCV DP's while my car was parked on the street).

After you get the Tune and CAI. Take the car to a dyno that will log your A/F by taking out the O2 sensor infront of the cat. Then you can be sure of the A/F, and if its off, send the graph to the tuner and they will be able to adjust it for free. It cost $50 for 2 runs with A/F on the dyno here.
VMP has 2 ways of reading your A/F. They can remove an o2 sensor from before the cats and put in the wideband there or use a tail pipe sniffer version.
I'm going to have 2 bungs welded onto my collector real soon so that I can run a wideband in each side when I get my nexus system.