Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Dyno Tune

Old 12-12-2006, 08:57 PM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

Default Dyno Tune

How much is a typical Dyno Tune? I was quoted $330 in addition to the price of the CAI ($389) and labor to install the CAI ($190)
Old 12-12-2006, 09:12 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Dyno Tune

First off.. If I was quoted $190 for a CAI install I would tell them to go F themelves..

Now The CAI's vary on price... I love my C&L Racer..
You can get an Xcal2 with a standard tune for $379. To get a custom tune on a dyno varies by the tuner.
Unless there is a top tuner in your area I would get the CAI and Xcal2 w/tune from one of the Known tuners thru the mail.

With the C&L and VMP C&L Tune I was running 13.1-13.2 at 106-107mph.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:20 PM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

VSOP, thanks for the info. I was thinking the same thing. I wanted to use the SCT tune by Brenspeed, and the Speedshop advised me that they still need to Dyno tune (additional $330!) because there supposedly has been problems with "mail-order" tunes lean air/fuel ratio causing blown motors? Also, the CAI I want installed is the Western Motor Sport High Velocity CAI which takes an estimated 1.5 - 2 hrs to install (the design involves relocating some items under the hood). How much does a regular CAI cost to install?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:27 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

I would never pay to have any CAI Installed.. even the WMS one.. All it really requires is you to relocate the overflow tank for the rad and swap out the plastic radiator cover.
I installed my C&L in the pits at the Strip. Took 30 minutes. (I have even installed my UD's and CMCV DP's while my car was parked on the street).

After you get the Tune and CAI. Take the car to a dyno that will log your A/F by taking out the O2 sensor infront of the cat. Then you can be sure of the A/F, and if its off, send the graph to the tuner and they will be able to adjust it for free. It cost $50 for 2 runs with A/F on the dyno here.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:37 AM
modular81
2nd Gear Member

Custom tunes from any three tuners mentioned on this site are proven to be very reliable. Seems to me that this shop just wants you to have there tune in your car instead of someone else tunes and trying to scare you with the thought of email tune being lean and blowing motors. 330 dollars for dyno time is very pricey because they already should have a base tune to start from and they only should have to make a couple passes to get it dialed in perfectly. Also 190 dollars for cai install is rediculous.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I agree, it sounds like the shop is trying to scare you into spending more $$$.

I have no doubt there are some unscrupulous dealers out there selling crappy mail-order tunes, but guys like Brent @ Brenspeed or Fred @ Evolution tune mustangs day-in and day-out. More than likely they have more experience than whoever your local guy is! I would not hesitate to run their mail order tunes.

Furthermore, I wouldn't bother with a dyno tune unless you had several other mods beyond the CAI or some unusual mods like ported heads or cams. CAIs are so common that you don't need a dyno tune for them. A mail-order tune from one of the guys like Brent or Fred is perfectly fine.

Also, the $190 for a CAI install is just plain nuts! Most CAIs can be installed in under 30 minutes. Granted the WMS does require some extra work, but even then it's nowhere near a $190 job.

By the way, you might reconsider your choice of CAI. The WMS is expensive, requires modification to the wiring harness of the car, and according to the magazine tests it doesn't make any more HP than several of the other popular CAIs. In fact, it's "middle of the road" despite the added complexity and cost.

The JLT is the HP king, and if you're willing to take a 1-2 HP hit, the C&L is the "best overall" according to most installers that I know, and the magazine reviews agree. Both make more power than the WMS, and both are a 30-min install with no wiring modifications.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:06 AM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

CrazyAL, regarding Cold Air Intakes, check out the October 06 issue of Mustangs & Fast Fords. In this issue, three CAI systems were rated: AEM Brute Force, Steeda High Velocity, WMS High Velocity. According to this article, WMS High Velocity outperformed the others with the lowest inlet air temperature (IAT), best speed and lowest e.t.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:30 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

That was only 3 CAI. I can't remember which mag tested like 10 of them. C&L or JLT was ontop. Its been a while.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:35 AM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

VSOP, if you can find the mag that tested 10 please let me know before I make the plunge. I like the straight thru design of the WMS High Velocity and the Ram Air feature drawing in true cold air.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:43 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Its was 5.0 Mustang magazine and it was 12 that they tested, not ten

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyno Tune