Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Ford Racing Packages

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:43 AM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

Default Ford Racing Packages

Any experience and/or comments about the Ford Racing Power Pack? (CAI, Tune, Oil Filter, Mufflers). How about the Ford Racing Drag Pack? (CAI, Tune, Oil Filter, Short-Throw Shifter, Shorty Headers, 4.10 Gears). Just wondering if Ford Racing makes good CAI and Tuners and if so, are their packages a good deal? I would think so, considering that the Shelby GT and GT500 have these, but it seems to me that the prices are a bit high: $949 + Labor (Dealer install) for the Power Pack and $1,400 + Labor (Dealer install). Also, if Ford Racing does make good CAI and tuners, how come they are not that popular on the forums?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:00 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Racing Packages

Try doing a search, this has been discussed before.

read this thread for a detailed discussion on it:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1642301/tm.htm

...a quick note about the tuners in a bit more detail: The Ford tuner is no better than any other tuner. Remember that the tuner itself is just a tool to copy the tune file onto your car's computer. The TOOL doesn't matter. What matters is the tune file itself. The ford tune is just like buying a "canned" tune from SCT or Diablosport....it's a "one size fits all" tune, that is mediocre with just a CAI, but is useless beyond that....but not only that, you're stuck with it becasue it's impossible to update the tune on the FRPP tuner.

The real key to getting a good tune is to AVOID canned tunes. Buy either an SCT-2 or a Diablosport Predator--but not from a discount warehouse like Summit or Jegs. Get one from a shop that will give you a custom tune: such as Brenspeed, Evolution, or B amachips, or from a local shop that dyno tunes. This is KEY for two reasons. First off, you won't be getting stuck with a canned tune. You will get a tune for YOUR car and YOUR mods. That alone is worth more performance than a canned tune. Second, you will have the option of getting new tunes later. If you continue to mod your car, you can get your tunes updated--with expert assistance--as you need it. If you buy the FRPP tuner then you are stuck.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:41 PM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the great info. The ONLY reason I am considering FRPP is Downs Ford Motorsport in NJ told me that ANY other tune would void the Ford drivetrain warranty. They told me that it would have to be installed by an authorized FORD dealer (SVT, Motorsport) to not affect the warranty. Not sure if they are trying to scare me, but I am concerned.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:49 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

You might want to ask around. I say this becasue different dealers have different opinions on things.

For example, "my dealer" (where I bought my car) told me that if I changed my rear-end gears it would void my warranty no matter what--even if I bought Ford brand gears, FROM THEM, and paid them to do the installation.

On the other hand, a different Ford dealer down the street told me it was no problem at all--they didn't care where the gears came from, so long as a Ford shop did the installation.

Another dealer my buddy knows said the warranty was OK if the gears were Ford brand, but it didn't matter who did the work.

Bottom line is, as far as warranty issues are concerned, it's a big gray fuzzy mess. Legally speaking, a dealer cannot void your warranty for mods or non-standard parts unless they can PROVE that the mod caused the failure. However, in practice many dealers will use that as an excuse to deny you service. What are you going to do about that? Hire a lawyer and take them to court--meanwhile your car is sitting there? The legal fees would cost you more than the repairs, even if you DID manage to win.

My advice? If that one dealer gives you crap, just find another dealer who doesn't care.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:54 PM
trek757
1st Gear Member

I was looking at Ford drag packs. I noticed the gears they had for the autos were the 3.73's and they had 4.10's for the manuals. This is opposite of what I've heard people saying in these threads for gear recommendations. Any idea what Ford's reasoning might be? Thanks