Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

To leave cats on or to remove???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: To leave cats on or to remove???

Bro,First off,"IM SORRY" for your thread turning into Father knows best!But to answer your question.If you want all the HP you can get from your exhaust then go Catless.If you put on Hi Flow Cats you will loose a few ponies.For guys like me who live in a non emissions state its a no brainer.But you have to decide for yourself.Hope this helps!

ORIGINAL: TASSY5

OK, I understand the whoe remove the cats purpose.(had them removed on my old 85 GT.
Question is that if I put LT headers and Hi flo cats, will i be loosing HP or not so with the new hi flo cats.

Also are the ford racing mufflers the Borla stingers with a Ford name on them>>??
Old 12-31-2006, 06:09 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

[sm=headbang.gif][sm=headbang.gif]
Old 12-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Norse1974

Ok man,You win......Im a bad person & they should lock me away for stating the fact that everyone has broken a law at one time or another.......Im going to the police station right now Sir.Im going to turn myself in.I hope you & the rest of society can forgive me for not being the "Mr.Dudley Do Right" that you thought I should be...........
You still don't get it. What you do is your own business as long as you don't come into a thread and advocate breaking laws. Incidentally it's a federal law and even though your state has no current emissions inspections there is nothing stopping them from instituting them in the future. When that occurs, you will have to make you car compliant. Should you drive your car into a state that has roadside checks, you could get stopped and then what, your out of state plates won't protect you against federal laws.

One last question and I'll drop this. When you get ready to sell your current car (statistics say that day will come) will you either put the cats back on the car or inform the buyer of the cars non compliance and the legal ramifications of this modification?

To the original poster, didn't mean to steal your thread, just wanted to advise you as to the ramifications of defeating federally mandated devices. When in doubt on any modification, check your state's emissions laws.

Good luck

Old 12-31-2006, 09:37 PM
06 Saleen wana be

well....if you really wana get into the legal part....you cant even move the cats from the factory location...so every single set of long tube headers are ILLEGAL for street use even if they have cats...because they move the location from the factory spot. And wow...its funny how this thread turned into this guy being a killer just because he wants to take his cats off...i took mine off...i live in FL, they dont check emitions...am i going to go out and do 140 in a 35 and run into someones grandmothers buick....no....
Old 01-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Exactly!Mr Do Right is on a trip I think to save the world or something!LOL!

ORIGINAL: 06 Saleen wana be

well....if you really wana get into the legal part....you cant even move the cats from the factory location...so every single set of long tube headers are ILLEGAL for street use even if they have cats...because they move the location from the factory spot. And wow...its funny how this thread turned into this guy being a killer just because he wants to take his cats off...i took mine off...i live in FL, they dont check emitions...am i going to go out and do 140 in a 35 and run into someones grandmothers buick....no....
Old 01-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

No man,I do get it!Your interpetation on how to live by the law is exactly that!YOUR INTERPETATION!But I will answer your "last question".I have saved every factory part from my car at my shop & when time comes(if ever) I decide to sell it,the person buying the car will get all of it including the factory cats!This is the most Ive ever entertained someone like you so feel honored man!I dont care what you post after this!Im not giving you any credit by responding!Now how about you let this poor guy have his thread back?

ORIGINAL: Centurion96

Ok man,You win......Im a bad person & they should lock me away for stating the fact that everyone has broken a law at one time or another.......Im going to the police station right now Sir.Im going to turn myself in.I hope you & the rest of society can forgive me for not being the "Mr.Dudley Do Right" that you thought I should be...........
You still don't get it. What you do is your own business as long as you don't come into a thread and advocate breaking laws. Incidentally it's a federal law and even though your state has no current emissions inspections there is nothing stopping them from instituting them in the future. When that occurs, you will have to make you car compliant. Should you drive your car into a state that has roadside checks, you could get stopped and then what, your out of state plates won't protect you against federal laws.

One last question and I'll drop this. When you get ready to sell your current car (statistics say that day will come) will you either put the cats back on the car or inform the buyer of the cars non compliance and the legal ramifications of this modification?

To the original poster, didn't mean to steal your thread, just wanted to advise you as to the ramifications of defeating federally mandated devices. When in doubt on any modification, check your state's emissions laws.

Good luck

Old 01-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

No man,I do get it!Your interpetation on how to live by the law is exactly that!YOUR INTERPETATION!But I will answer your "last question".I have saved every factory part from my car at my shop & when time comes(if ever) I decide to sell it,the person buying the car will get all of it including the factory cats!This is the most Ive ever entertained someone like you so feel honored man!I dont care what you post after this!Im not giving you any credit by responding!Now how about you let this poor guy have his thread back?
Only judges and lawyers interpret the law, I only stated what the federal law was concerning cats to the original poster so that he understood that removing them was against the law. Somehow you took a personal offense to that statement and if you misunderstood my intent then I apologize. Nothing was ever directed towards you personally in that original post. However you then proceeded to name calling and chest beating which really didn't contribute to this thread. I ask you what kind of example are you setting to the younger readers of these threads when you advocate breaking the law. When you pick and choose which laws you'll obey, you are putting yourself above the law. Imagine what would happen if everyone did that.

So you win, for those of us who try and obey all of the law/rules of the road, please do look down on us and feel free to call us names.

Peace

Old 01-02-2007, 05:55 PM
silverpoison
2nd Gear Member

The only reason to go no-cats for me is if you are running leades gas. I don't have cats right now and it is very loud. I use 110 and is a leaded gas. Good Luck!!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 08:09 PM
nhvickery
2nd Gear Member

If you want to talk about illegal exhaust, technically, any aftermarket exhaust is illegal. It sounds crazy but im serious. So that should not be the dicussion here.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:04 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well I live in your state and I don't want to breath your cars emissions. I'm going to write to my congressman and link to this thread asking them to do something about all the law breakers.

I would personally love to see a state inspection in Florida, there are simply to many pieces of **** driving on the road here. Some are very dangerous.

Would you mine pm'ing me your real name and address?

Bro,First off,"IM SORRY" for your thread turning into Father knows best!But to answer your question.If you want all the HP you can get from your exhaust then go Catless.If you put on Hi Flow Cats you will loose a few ponies.For guys like me who live in a non emissions state its a no brainer.But you have to decide for yourself.Hope this helps!

OK, I understand the whoe remove the cats purpose.(had them removed on my old 85 GT.
Question is that if I put LT headers and Hi flo cats, will i be loosing HP or not so with the new hi flo cats.

Also are the ford racing mufflers the Borla stingers with a Ford name on them>>??

Quick Reply: To leave cats on or to remove???