Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 12:42 AM
ozan169
1st Gear Member

Default Royal Purple

hey ppl

what do you lot think of Royal Purple oils and lubes are they any good to buy for are 2005- 2007 mustangs

2005 mustang GT auto
Stoptech gt stage 2 braking system
Kenny brown strut tower brace
Bmr rear swaybar
Bbk airfilter kit
Bbk ceramic short headers
Magnaflow x pipe with racing cats
Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust System
Bbk 62mm twin throttle body
Moto blue pulley kit
brentspeed Sct tuner
Ford racing 4.10 gears
Comp cam racing cams stage1
comp cam valve steel retainers
comp cam valve springs
Ford racing cmcv delete kit
tci torque converter 3000stall
Old 02-04-2007, 10:09 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Royal Purple

I think it is excellent. That is what I use throughout the car. It helps me grab more hp/performance out of my ride. Was not a big fan of the smell when it first went into the rear but I got use to it and then it blended away. A very good choice for any performance driven stang.

On a side note, it can't get much colder here in Maryland with a wind chill of 10°. We are not use to that here, but she starts and runs without any of the below mentioned smoking. I have not had any problems with it thus far. In fairness I would not normally drive my car in Winter but since its no snow around she is unleashed.

As the saying goes, if it works for you than use it; if it gives you trouble then use something else. Good luck what ever you choose!

Other brands are good as well but personally its RP ftw.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:53 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I haven't tried the RP engine oil, but I have used both the Snychromax in my transmission (manual)and Max-gear in the rear end.

The Synchromax is great. The shifting is much smoother and you can literally feel the transmission engage. I definatley prefer it to the stock oil.

As for the rear end, the Max-gear seemed about the same as stock. I drained it and replaced it with Red Line Shockproof, which I like a lot better.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

RP ALL THE WAY!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:06 PM
BKTO69

If you are using ROYAL PURPLE Synthetic Oil....DRAIN IT ASAP and replace with Stock Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20W. I had some problem on cold starts with smoke. I mentioned it the Jim Sr. at teamjdm.com (probably the most reputable S197 Mustang shop on the East cost) who said RP is NO GOOD for the 3V 4.6 motors. It is TOO THIN and gets past the valve seals into combustion chamber, resulting in smoking condition on cold starts and decelleration. He said after 1000 miles to drain again to make sure all ROYAL PURPLE has been flushed and continue to use Motorcraft syn blend. He has a barrel of RP in shop that's collecting dust. He had same problem in his 05 GT race car and he tells all his customers not to use RP. Followed his instructions and NO MORE SMOKING. I was so happy to have discussed this with him and not the dealer, which probably would have caused some serious headaches. Anyone using RP should look for smoke on cold starts. I bet many people can benefit from this info. Just go to teamjdm and contact Jim Sr.and ask for yourself.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Never had that problem Bro!Sorry you had a bad run with RP.But like any product Ive ever seen,no matter how good it is,,someone will not like it,,,and say it's no good.Like Ive already stated.Im not having this problem.Anyone else want to chime in who is running RP?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:47 PM
searay2006
2nd Gear Member

Only running RP in the rear end so far, use Mobil 1 in the motor and all my cars. Works for me.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Went from Mobil 1 to RP and I have to say that my engine sounds smoother. No problems here, no smoke on cold starts either.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:14 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

I would use Royal purple for the transmission and gears. I wouldn't use anything except Redline 5w-20 for the engine. Redline really outperforms any other oils in the 5w-20 class.

Andrew
Old 02-09-2007, 03:01 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

i have smoke on cold starts/morning but who doesn't. When i walk outside and i can see my breath, that means i have the wrong saliva in my mouth?? Now if it's warm outside, there shouldn't be any smoke at all. Like When it was in the 70's here last month, i saw no smoke but since it's been in the 20's-40's here, i see smoke. But it's common and i see everyone elses car smoke.
As long as it's not black or Bluish-white smoke, i'm fine.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple