Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Is it possible to de-tune a 2007 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:15 PM
jnkbonds

Default Is it possible to de-tune a 2007 GT?

I wanted to know if it was possible to de-tune a new 2007 GT Mustang. I know many of you are trying to go the other way with your performance gains but is something like this possible? If so, how much power can you take away safely? My thoughts were perhaps lowering the timing and dropping the rev limiter/ shift points. Also can you put a cut-off on the max MPH the car will go?

I'm only asking because I am thinking of buying a GT for my son's 16th birthday and would feel more comfortable knowing that I could detune the GT.

Why not buy the 6 cylinder you ask? Because my son has his heart set on the GT. After some experience behind the wheel I would feel comfortable changing the detune back to stock.

Anyone have any help for a concerned dad?
Old 02-04-2007, 03:35 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Is it possible to de-tune a 2007 GT?

You can check the companies that sell tuners. Diablo etc.
They give specs. on what their tuners will allow you to change.
I believe they allow you to tweak timing and fuel curves down as well as up.
Do your homework. Cruise the web and read up on the different tuners and what they will let you tweak.
Many come with canned tunes set to increase power etc.
However, Diablo won't allow you to adjust the max speed but it will allow you to turn it on or off.
V6 stangs come with a 115 MPH cap but can go much faster than that of course. Why they did that is beyond me. I don't much like big brother telling me how fast I can go in that way.
I turned mine off of course ;-). My driving, my ticket! That is if they catch me. Don't worry, it's not a chronic habbit but when I want to open her up, that's my business.

I don't know what GT's speed cap is but I am sure they have it capped off too.
In my opinion, GT's come already detuned. Why else would tuner companies be able to sell programs that enable one to increase power etc.? I drove a couple GT's before I opted for my 6 banger which is really fast as it is and I can smoke the tires off the line thanks to a few mods I made including some custom tunes I came up with for it on my own.
GT's are slow pokes out of the factory compared to what they could be. They are definately detuned.
IF you are that concerned about your sons driving habits, I would suggest holding off on the GT until he is more responsible and of coursehas the driving skills necessary for a performance vehicle.

There are plenty of late model V6's out there with duals, cold air kits, tunes, posi-traction and so forth thatblow away earlier model GT's like nothin! Like mine does. I'veeven beaten a few late model GT's off the line and overall. And I have anautomatic.Come to think of it, a V6 might be too much for him too due to their stock and potential aftermarket add on potential.

Maybe it's time for daddy to put his foot down and do what he knows is best for his son regardless of the fit he might throw. Once he gets his young ars in the car and starts driving it, he'll forget all about that stuff.
My son has a GT and loves my V6 Pony. He's even a bit jealous ;-)

Good luck!
Wolfey
Old 02-04-2007, 04:37 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

While messing around with my SCT from Brenspeed I noticed that I could lower my top speed limiter down to 60 mph. I havent tested it or anything and I am guessing that this is a normal adjustable setting on all SCT's. I dont really know about the whole being able to lower the power, I am assuming thats what you are talking about as well.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:52 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

It iscommon to make tunes that have reduced timing. They are used by guys that run Nitrous...and the HP does indeed drop with them. Of course the top-speed limiter can be changed too, as can the rev limiter.

Talk to a custom tuner like Brent @ Brenspeed--I'm sure he can help.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:36 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

It's funny that you mention it. I was talking with a coworker about this a while back.

The answer to your question is "yes". You can do two things with a tuner:

1) You can limit speed.
2) Yes, you can reduce performance with a tuner. It's already supported at least on the SCT Strategy Flash tuner.

As other people have mentioned you can limit the speed with an SCT tuner. I think the new version of the software allows you to limit it to at least 60 mph. I can't remember.

I have an SCT Strategy Flash (of SF), which is just an SCT tuner with canned tunes directly from SCT. It made a huge difference in my vehicle, but isn't as aggressive as semi-custom tunes from other dealers. (I like to think of their tunes as a "factory type" tune...Performance minded, but somewhat conservative.)

Anyway, the Strategy Flash has a "Fuel Ecomony" selection in the options menu. It allows you to select "Normal" or "Economy". Selecting "economy" will improve gas mileage and should "detune" the vehicle at least somewhat.

I'm never tried"Economy" mode. I never had a reason.

Does anyone know of the XCal2 has the same user adjustable "Fuel Economy" selection? It might be unique to the Strategy Flash.

The good news is the Strategy Flash can be turned into a "normal" XCal2 for free online. So, in the future you can buy custom tunes from any of the popular tuners and load them.

In the future you can always turn "Fuel Ecomony" back to "Normal" and change the "Octane Setting" to "93". That should give a nice boost to performance. It also supports a number of popular air intakes if you want to add one in the future (four I think).

Old 02-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I believe there is also some sort of device that can be placed in the vehicle that will moniter several things like:

top speed
avg speed
G's pulled
emergency braking
RPM's reached

It keeps info and can be downloaded onto a computer and checked. It was created to keep big brother in the car with teenage drivers.

I say buy him a beater, not too bad, and after a year give him the GT. The first year of a teenager's driving career will most likely result in an accident of some sort. #1 cause of death for teenagers.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:53 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

On the SCT you can also limit the RPM which would have some good effect.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:12 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

My dad leased a GT for two years and I get to share with him and my first car is a F150 and after the lease is up if I kept my grades up he'll buy it off the lease and give it too me. So thats something you could also consider doing.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:45 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

SCT 2 + 3500 RPM limiter, 70-75 MPH top speed limeter and I think he will be ok.
would **** me off beyond belief tho if I got stuck driving it like that, lol
Old 02-08-2007, 11:24 AM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

The problem with setting the rev-limiter low...is that you can never get to really open it up to help keep the combustion chamber clean...as for a de-tune, I would also be concerned about an increased chance for carbon deposits.....My suggestion would be, if you really want to get your son a pony, would be to get him a V6...that way he can learn to handle a 200hp RWD solid axle first...then if he gets that under control and can show some restraint in being a dumbass then if you want...you can help him upgrade and modify his V6....that is just my $.02

Quick Reply: Is it possible to de-tune a 2007 GT?