Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

What's the max a stock engine can take?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:01 AM
buck2769

Default RE: What's the max a stock engine can take?

ORIGINAL: KTownGT

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

Isn't the Shelby 500 w/500 HP a blown 4.6? What mods does it have? Probably a lot of internal upgrades I would think.
The GT500 has an 5.4 L 4 valve engine with an Eaton Blower. The engine makes pretty good numbers, but its heavy as all hell. Iron Block < Aluminum Block

Our GT's engine block can hold 800 RWHP, but our internals are only good till 400-425 RWHP.
Only 425? I might have to rethink the purchase of a new stang. I would have to dig into the internals instantly. Are you sure that is right?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:04 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

A forged rotating assemply will put you down around 2.5k or so. Completely worth it in the long run.

Andrew
Old 02-12-2007, 10:54 AM
buck2769

ORIGINAL: androdz

A forged rotating assemply will put you down around 2.5k or so. Completely worth it in the long run.

Andrew
I agree, but what's the point of a new car if you have to rebuild the engine when you get it?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:54 AM
buck2769

Are we talking about mustang dyno or dynojet 425HP?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:32 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Correct me if I am wrong...but a STOCK engine can take 300hp to the crank....That is what it is at STOCK...Anything else would no longer be a STOCK engine...you add a CAI then it is not stock...supercharger...NOT STOCK....

So a STOCK engine can take 300hp.....

yeah I know I am a smart a$$....
Old 02-12-2007, 01:41 PM
buck2769

ORIGINAL: ponyman

Correct me if I am wrong...but a STOCK engine can take 300hp to the crank....That is what it is at STOCK...Anything else would no longer be a STOCK engine...you add a CAI then it is not stock...supercharger...NOT STOCK....

So a STOCK engine can take 300hp.....

yeah I know I am a smart a$$....
When referring to the engine it is generally the internals and block and maybe the valve train. The CAI would not be considered part of the engine just like the transmission is not part of the engine.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:42 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

actually an engine is the long block....the block and internals without the other stuff is just a boat anchor....

besides, i was just giving you a hard time...as the topic was engine and the post was block...so i was answering the topic...

further more...this is the same question as which CAI/tuner/headers/axle-back/tires/supercharger/suspension/etc is the best...it is a dead horse....search and you will find more results than you can ever read and at the same time learn some great information....

to complicate it even more...it depends on the car...some may bend/blow/break at 325...others may last well into the 500 range....that said, if you are going to put that much to the ground then hopefully, you will have more enough knowledge on how it all works together and could already have an idea as to what you are looking at in terms of limits....

Basically what I am saying is that if you are looking at purchasing a ponycar AND modifying it, then it shouldn't matter what it will handle in a "factory" state...because that is half the fun...the other half is keeping goodyear/bf goodrich/nitto/falken/mickey thompson in business.....
Old 02-12-2007, 03:43 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Buck I do understand they are other engines that come forged from the factory and withstand more hp, but typically the weak points on those cars are the transmission/axles/stock piping/differentials among others when in ours it is not. Not to mention most cars that are not domestic the stock cpu is not reprogrammable so you have to buy a apexi or a similar cpu to be able to adjust the air/fuel ratio/timing/spark/etc.

Andrew
Old 02-12-2007, 03:55 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

Like mentioned around 450rwhp. Can you go more, yes, but you will have to baby it and your on borrowed time.

Also a dynojets don't always give you higher numbers, there's alot of factors that play in that part, if you are referring to a mustang dyno for comparison. I've seen one give higher and then i've seen the other give higher numbers. Same goes for STD or SAE, eveything factors in. Usually dynojet and STD can give up to 10HP more on the numbers. but not always.
I've seen a car dyno 190rwhp on a mustang dyno and later dyno 195rwhp on a dynojet.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:58 PM
buck2769

ORIGINAL: androdz

Buck I do understand they are other engines that come forged from the factory and withstand more hp, but typically the weak points on those cars are the transmission/axles/stock piping/differentials among others when in ours it is not. Not to mention most cars that are not domestic the stock cpu is not reprogrammable so you have to buy a apexi or a similar cpu to be able to adjust the air/fuel ratio/timing/spark/etc.

Andrew
I don't argue that and I probably wouldn't own a import that's in my price range for a daily driver. I'm not bashing the mustang, I've owned three and currently still have an 89 fox vert that I recently picked up to play with. I'm just a little disappointed with the limits of the internals. Call it wishful thinking. Still, if this is 425 on Mustang Dyno, that is right on par with what I was looking for. I just didn't want to buy a heavier car than I currently drive with less power.

Quick Reply: What's the max a stock engine can take?